Body By Vi-90 Day Challenge

Options
This is something that is becoming popular in my area. I am not at all normally for these kinds of diets but I watched a video and it seems interesting...any feedback out there would be appreciated. It's basically 2 shakes a day and a meal, this goes on for 90 days.

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    We have a friend that started to sell this stuff over the weekend. They wanted us to come and try the shakes and give it a try. I'm not for 'quick' fixes like this but I was tempted as I'm going on vacation in a month and have to sit on the beach. Not that I'm in bad shape but I wouldn't mind losing 20 lbs fast and then trying to maintain it afterwards.
  • newNRGkate
    newNRGkate Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who started the challenge in January and has recently completed her 90 days with 2 shakes a day. She lost 20lbs and 10inches!! She is the best she has ever looked, a size 6 now, and says she has so much energy. She just loves them and makes them all different kinds of ways so she doesn't get bored with having so many shakes.
    I myself would love to try them for such a "quick fix" but have never been a believer in that kind of program for weight loss even though it does work. I just LOVE food too much to cut out 2 meals a day. Visalus totally does work though if you don't mind eating shakes rather than good old fashioned food ;))
    I am just watching my calories and food content and varying my workouts. In the past couple of months I haven't lost much in pounds but have lost 4 inches from my mid section. I will keep with my "slowly but surely" diet for now.
    Good luck to you though if you do decide to try the Vi-90 day challenge!!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    People lose weight on it b/c the shakes are usually a lot less calories than what a typical meal would be. You can get those same results by planning your meals in advance to include fewer calories. You can also do it cheaper by using a non-MLM product, if you really feel shakes would be helpful to your journey or more convenient than planning meals.

The '90 day challenge' is an ingenious marketting strategy that gets people to be customers for a full 3 months.

Yes it works but remember, someone is making money off of it so of course they want to tell you how great it is and how it's the only thing that worked for so-and-so.

Not trying to be completely negative here, yes it does usually 'work' (b/c of the calorie restriction), I'm just pointing out that there are other options that you may or may not find to be right for you. People do generally find it to be delicious and convenient. I personally feel it's over-priced, but some people don't mind paying for delicious convenience.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't usually like these 'quick' fix diets either. I love food and would rather eat than have a shake. I would however like to have more smoothies and maybe I will start making some and just add in my normal protein powder. Its hard because like I said some of these people are losing weight rapidly and here I am stuck at the same weight for months on end. I've lowered my calories, upped my calories, had them in the middle, etc but nothing is working. I started heavy lifting back at the beginning of February so I guess I'll see how that plays out before I do anything else.
  • bbturbofiregirl
    Options
    I drank Body By Vi shakes for a year. Taste good. However I have fellen in love with Shakeology!
  • amillee
    amillee Posts: 20
    Options
    I love the ViSalus program and I'd love to clear up a couple things some people have said about it:

1) I definitely still EAT. There is no way I could survive on "just shakes."
    2) While the shakes themselves are low-cal, the "Challenge" still promotes a healthy caloric intake, so it's not "fair" to say "sure, you lose, but that's just b/c of the calorie restriction" [sic]. I eat between 1300-1700 calories a day and have consistently lost 2-3lbs/week. It's about properly FUELING your body so that your metabolism works properly.
    3) Which brings me to my next point... it's not a QUICK fix... the Challenge is all about getting HEALTHY, not skinny. It's not a miracle and the program recommends 2lbs/week fro healthy, sustainable weight-loss.
    4) For that matter, it's not just a weight-loss product. The Challenge is for people wanting to get FIT... for some, that is weight-loss, for others, it's bulking up... for some, it's just improving their 5K time.
    4) They promote a 90 Day Challenge - it's not a "marketing ploy" to get a 3 month commitment to make money... it's to get people to commit to the TIME it will take to see/feel a difference and to form healthy habits they can stick with once they reach their goal.
    5) For someone to say it's more expensive is CRAZY... what other product can you get for FREEEEEE? Sure, you have to refer 3 more customers to get yours free, but why wouldn't you??? If it works and you have friends with similar goals, wouldn't you want to share it with them? Think of it as a "Living Social Deal" - if I can sign up for a painting class and I don't have to pay for it if I tell 3 friends who also sign up for it... what's the diff?
    6) And to the comment about preferring "smoothies" to shakes, but you'll add your "normal protein powder" - it's just semantics. Same thing. I made my shake today with a little almond milk, water, frozen fruit and my Vi-protein powder. Call it a smoothie if it makes you feel better. :)

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck... I'm 8 weeks into my 90 Day Challenge and down 22lbs. I have more energy (and way less lulls) than ever, I'm not hungry all the time (and when I am, I EAT!), I don't have cravings like before and I pay less than $20/mo (shipping only b/c I get mine FREE)... it's not right for everyone, I get that - but it's definitely right for ME!!!
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    SO you are getting it free because someone else is paying. You reffered the 3 friends, and they had to refer someone. Someone is paying. For me Iwon't do it because I don't have the 3 friends to refer, and can't afford the $300 or whatever a month on the shake or whatever.
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use it, but not in the way most people do. I use it as regular protein powder after my workouts. I like the taste of it a LOT more than the other stuff I was using. I don't think I would replace meals with shakes/smoothies, but I like it and do replace snacks with it sometimes, and like I said, after a workout.
  • amillee
    amillee Posts: 20
    Options
    I use the Shape kit... it's $99/mo. Not $300/mo. I'm THRILLED to get it for free, but I would GLADLY pay $99 for 60 servings b/c it WORKS.

And no one HAS to refer 3 friends... it's just an opportunity they offer as an incentive. Sure, it's a business, so they want more customers, but what is so wrong with that. And it they'll GIVE it to me (and you, and anyone else) for doing so, I don't get how that is bad... ?
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I use the Shape kit... it's $99/mo. Not $300/mo. I'm THRILLED to get it for free, but I would GLADLY pay $99 for 60 servings b/c it WORKS.

And no one HAS to refer 3 friends... it's just an opportunity they offer as an incentive. Sure, it's a business, so they want more customers, but what is so wrong with that. And it they'll GIVE it to me (and you, and anyone else) for doing so, I don't get how that is bad... ?

Never said it was bad, just saying it is business, a person gets it for free because they refered 3 friends, so then one of those friends is paying unless they refer 3 friends. Of course that is business, and incentive to get something for free, but then if someone doesn't have 3 friends they are paying, and I know there are more expensive kits $250 for the transformation kit. That is a lot of $ when you think about it. My friend tried gettingme to do this one, and I thought about it, but I still spend the same amount of $ to feed my family of six, so it was not going to save me $ and cut an expense when I still have to cook for the whole family.