Nikky's Homemade Mexican Chili

2»

Replies

• This looks fantastic!!! Thanks! :)

You're very welcome!! Made another batch last night... guess what I'm having for lunch?? Again. :laugh: :laugh:
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    One piece of advice my mom gave me is that with any recipe that requires beef, substitute 3/4th of the beef required with ground turkey (and leave the other 1/4th as beef). When you brown the two together, the turkey will take on the flavor of the beef and it tastes great.
  • One piece of advice my mom gave me is that with any recipe that requires beef, substitute 3/4th of the beef required with ground turkey (and leave the other 1/4th as beef). When you brown the two together, the turkey will take on the flavor of the beef and it tastes great.

Great idea! I've actually used ground turkey as well. The version posted here is what I used to calculate nutritional value for this recipe so any variation will affect its values of course. I think its at 179 cals per cup if I remember correctly. Just need to keep that in mind.:smile: Also important to note that ground turkey is far more expensive (at least it is here in Canada) than lean ground beef which could be a factor for some people. The batch I made last night was made with extra lean ground beef because it was on sale and I'm almost at my maintance intake so I don't really care about the difference in calories.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    I'm new, too!

I didn't read everything so I'm not sure if someone already said this, but I almost always subsitute lean ground turkey (white when it's just me because I like it, dark if I'm eating with my fiance) in place of lean ground beef. Less fat and just as good!
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    The person right above me said it, oops!
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    bump
  • Amylynn
    Could you put down actual amounts of ingredients. Like, for example, how many cans of beans, or how many lbs. of celery or peppers. I don't want to buy too much or not enough ingredients. Thank you.
  • Elmo14
    Elmo14 Posts: 10 Member
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • Could you put down actual amounts of ingredients. Like, for example, how many cans of beans, or how many lbs. of celery or peppers. I don't want to buy too much or not enough ingredients. Thank you.

I chose to write it as cups because cans of beans vary in sizes and this was easier. Try looking at your options at the store and visually determine how many cups the can would be, or do the conversion using the fl oz labelled on the can. As for the veggies, you won't need more than 6 stalks or so, peppers on average 2 and one large red onion. That's the best I can do .... hope it helps.
  • Amylynn
    Thank you. I really was mostly trying to see the number for the veggies as those tend to be hard to eye up.
  • No problem. That's a ballpark for veggies but a few more or less won't make that big a difference to the calorie count. Enjoy. It's reallly a great recipe.
This discussion has been closed.