any tips on calculating food weight?

Options
shulamis
shulamis Posts: 1 Member
I'm a total newbie and need some advice on how to accurately measure food without carrying around a food scale everywhere I go.

Any tips and tricks?

Replies

• kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Welcome!

A scale is a great tool to use at home if you have one - you'll be able to accurately learn what portion sizes are. In the meantime, I've borrowed some info from the Women to Women website in regards to portions:

Your thumb = 1 oz
    Your palm = 3–4 oz
    Your closed fist = 1 cup
    Your thumb tip = 1 tsp
    A handful = 1–2 oz of snack food, like nuts

Try logging all your food *before* you eat it - this gives you a chance to change your mind about any potential bad choices! You'll love this site!
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hello

I found a visual reference here http://www.prevention.com/images/cma/portion_control_chartFULL.gif
    but it's the same info Kelli gave you.
  • demezat
    demezat Posts: 158
    Options
    Welcome!

A scale is a great tool to use at home if you have one - you'll be able to accurately learn what portion sizes are. In the meantime, I've borrowed some info from the Women to Women website in regards to portions:

Your thumb = 1 oz
    Your palm = 3–4 oz
    Your closed fist = 1 cup
    Your thumb tip = 1 tsp
    A handful = 1–2 oz of snack food, like nuts

Try logging all your food *before* you eat it - this gives you a chance to change your mind about any potential bad choices! You'll love this site!

I log all my food before as well...it really helps....and if I don't eat something or end up eating something else I can always change it by the end of the day. It helps me plan out what I'm going to eat every day when I do it this way.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I find it really helps to plan out the day's eating in advance, & weigh/measure everything out to pack up for lunch and snacks.