Fit and Fun Sized (those under 5'4") for April 2012

Options
jam0525
jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
Hello everyone,

This group is for those of us shorter in stature, but all are welcome here.

Everything seems to be harder if you are shorter; the lower calorie limits, exercise, clothes. While we all struggle to change our lives and get the weight off, we have extra challenges.

How did you do in March?

What are your goals in April?

For me March was a wash. I did not gain, but I did not loose. I struggle with just having 1200 calories a day to live on and not being able to exercise like I did last year. Sometimes live gets in the way.

For April I want to focus on learning to eat well on 1200 calories and to get back into exercising everyday.

Jeannie

Replies

• misspoetic
    misspoetic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my name is kuda
    am 5'2''
    being shorter means my weight gain is reaaally noticeable
    march has been bad.infact 2012 has been bad.
    sad to say am back at square one.
    my goal for april is 2kg just 2kg :)
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cesta91
    Cesta91 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm 5'1" at the most.
    Most measurements put me closer to 5' even, so being on the bigger side is extremely noticeable for me.
    I'm only on day 2 of my diet, but I'm hoping to drop 5lbs this month. So far I'm feeling really confident about it. I'm really noticing just how much of my eating was comfort eating and how little I really need to snack to be energetic throughout the day.
    I already feel healthier.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2"

I've lost 10 pounds since february and I'm looking forward to more. Right now I'm doing the 30 Day shred, biking, and yoga. I started out eating 1200 calories and feeling miserable. After a lot of reading and reflection I began to feel as though 1200 calories was not enough for me ( I was always tired and moody and stressed) So I started eating back my workout calories. I'm not slowly increasing my calories up to a NET of 1400 ish (based on my BMR and TDEE). A lot of women on MFP have had success losing weight eating more than 1200 calories because it's easier to maintain.

I don't have any specific goals for April except to keep on the current path!
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I'm also 5'2". I lost 10 lbs from March 1 to March 31. I am hoping to continue at that rate, and lose another 10 in April.

I 're'started my journey in mid December when I learned that my blood pressure was WAY out of control. I had gotten back up to my absolute highest weight ever, and was definitely feeling unhealthy. So, trying to get back to a healthy place.

For me 1200 calories is NOT enough. When I only eat 1200 (or a bit less), then I stop losing. I do have a trainer I work with about 6 times a month, and I get into the gym 4 - 5 days a week.

Good luck to everyone!!!
  • cocoma1
    cocoma1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm 5 even. I weigh 142 still. I have not lost a pound. I have lost inches. My goal is to get to 120. I am an undereater and I eat alot of junk! I have gotten better with my food choices but I have never been a big eater and find it difficult most days to net 1200 especially with workouts. That is unless I eat all the bad stuff in addition to fruits and veggies.
  • jladell88
    jladell88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weigh135.5. I started working out last week pretty hard with a personal trainer and ended up severely pulling my calf muscle. I ended up missing a day of work and had to lay in bed on muscle relaxers keeping the leg on ice. I have done a lot of working out in my day and this has NEVER happened to me. I overexertaed myself so much that I ended up puking 15 minutes after this workout. I was sore for 6 days. I ended up going back a week later this past Sunday (3/1) and burned about 250-300 calories. My shoulders are a bit sore today, but overall I am feeling great. I am counting the calories and trying to stay at or under 1200 per day. With working out 4x per week I am hoping to lose 15 pounds soon! :)
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4 and 123lbs... since joining I haven't lost anything which has been really hard as I eat well (most of the time!) and exercise at least 3x a week. I'm beginning to think that 1200 is too low to lose anything and found this calculator in another post really useful - http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee I'm not exercising properly atm as I tore a ligament in my foot but when I'm back up properly I'm planning on doing the new rules of lifting for women and when I do that I'll have to eat more as weights are such hard work!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm about 5' (I really should measure myself). Since I started here about a month ago I lost 2 lbs; since January, I lost 7 lbs. I did have a medical issue that stalled my weight loss for a few weeks, but I should be back on track now.

My goal is to lose another 20lbs so I'm in the *healthy* range for BMI. I work out with P90x 6x a week. Still trying to figure out my caloric goal, eating back calories seems to stall out my weight loss. Try to eat clean 80-90% of the time...sometimes it just isn't possible.

Really would like to look great in a swim suit by June!
  • perpetualsharon
    perpetualsharon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently weigh 198. I carry all of my weight on my middle (boobs, tummy, butt and thighs). I lost about 20 lbs last January due to pneumonia but gained 18 of it back over the year. I attribute that gain to quitting smoking. So, maybe I didn't do so great with the weight but the non-smoking thing has made me feel a lot better. I started working out with my husband in January. He liked P90X. I'd rather die. :( It makes me sad that I can't have the same motivation and drive that he has towards working out. So I am trying new things.

My diet is pretty clean since I have been gluten free for 2 years. Now I am working on portion control. I bought a bike last week. I have been riding with my FIL 2-3x per week. No weight loss but my legs look trimmer. This morning, I started Zumba. I never thought I would be able to do it and in the past there is no way I could have as a smoker. I did a full 50 minutes this morning my first time through! I was so proud, I called my husband at work!

My goal is to be either 125 lbs or size 6... whichever comes first. I am a size 16 now. I am hoping that the smaller portions and added exercise will give me the boost I need to get the ball rolling on this mess.
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!
    I lost about 3 lbs is March. It is not as much as I wanted BUT I am just now being able to do a workout at the gym where I feel like I am actually doing something. lol

My goal are not as much weight loss as I want to lose body fat and gain muscle mass. As of this morning I am 154.4 lb, 31.5 % body fat and I have 97.5 lbs of muscle.
    It is kind hard for me to set goals for this month since I am hoping at least, that it is going to be my first month post injury that I can get in at least a decent workout. So, I will shoot high,
    4lbs, down to 30% and 100lb of muscle.

Lets have a great month!!
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    5ft 2 and a teeny weeny important bit :).....I started at 210lbs on 01st Janaury 2012 and am currently bobbing between 194-196 so I have lost a nice amount. Throughout March I lost 5lbs which is steady but I lost around 9 inches off my body in one month so although I have only lost 15lbs in 3 months the inch loss is noticeable and after being a size 18 for almost 6 months I finally got to bu a size 16 wadrobe the weekend yey!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thursday I should be back into the swing of things & I think I may start 30 Day Shred! I know several who have lost a lot of inches doing this!!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I am 4'10.5 and about 117lbs. I stopped weighing myself tho (or so I am trying to) and focusing on inch loss. I take a photo once a week and am going to be measuring once a month. Since Dec. 6 I have lost 7 inches from my waist and 6 inches from my hips. Am about 27% BF right now but would like to be down to 20. My goal was about 2% Body Fat a month if I can do that. So hopefully by the end of may I will be at about 23% BF... we will see how that goes... 20% means about 3.5 inches from my waist and 1 from my hips. Slowly been increasing my calories, but I calorie cycle so I have very LOW days and higher days. Today is my lowest day and tomorrow is my highest day. I look forward to Wednesdays to say the least... eventually I will have them upped even more... but its a slow and steady progress... Anyway always looking for new friends. :D
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    Im 5'3" and 129 pounds.
    I was doing great the first week of March, then gained for a week, then plateaued the rest of the month.
    Now im stuck at this awful 129 and I just want to be 120 and its just impossible and im so frustrated!
  • amanorr
    amanorr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello i am Amanda I am 4'11 and 163 lbs. Have lost 24 lbs since i started but did not lose any weight in March. I am going to bust my butt through april and may . I am going to Disney with my family the begining of June and would love to be down 15 to 20 lbs by then. I hope to find some friends that are in the same boat with me and dont want the boat to sink! My goal is to be down to 125 by August.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well yup this is me too...5'2" and 158 working toward 148 by end of April.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Anyone else that's a shorty have a short torso? I am finding that because my torso is so short that I think that I look bigger than I am. SO frustrating.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Welcome back those who have been posting here and welcome to all the newcomers.

To those who are new to MFP, check out the tools, especially the BMR. I set my calories to the next even number over BMR. That worked just fine when I first started and had 50 plus pounds to loose. Now, that my BMR is 1200 calories a day is where I am really struggling.

I have put back 20 of the original 40 I lost. Sadly, I updated my ticker and other measurements today. It was hard, but I felt I needed to for a fresh re-start. This is the first time I put weight back on and I know I can loose it again. I just hope this time it doesn't find me again.

Happy Hump Day!

Jeannie
  • jenny1377
    jenny1377 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok started MFP last October lost about 13-15 lbs and haven't gained back yet. I am getting back on the bandwagon to try to loose some more weight before the sumemr really starts. I am going to try a 1200 calorie diet and see if I can hack that. If not I will go back up to the reccomended 1400.