Scales suck!

Options
Jennyisbusy
Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
Evidence that scales are the tool of the :devil:

The scale says I have gained 2 lbs in one month.
The inches say I have lost:

upper arms -.5"
hips -1.5"
waist -1"
thighs-1"
hip flap -2" (this is a hip level measurement that includes the tummy flap)

So here is what I think is happening. I have brought my sodium levels way down and I drink more water than a horse tongue so I feel like there is no extra puffiness. I also think there is a muscle memory thing happening, I am right back to where my stats were in October when I had to quit exercising.

Now excuse me while I mop up all these tears. ( We need an emoticon that is smiling and crying!) If I relied solely on the scale for feedback I would be lost.

Replies

• DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    Great results! And I agree, scales suck! They don't always account for muscle gain. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Pour a pitcher of water on your digital scale. That's what I did.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yep, the scales do have major issues :o)
  • woman1961
    woman1961 Posts: 23
    Options
    thats true muscle does weigh more the fat so im sure ur doing ok
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    agreed.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    thats true muscle does weigh more the fat so im sure ur doing ok

muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. A pound is a pound. However, fat has more volume, so it takes more fat to create a pound than it does muscle.

just sayin.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Thanks guys. I also forgot to say that I still eat plenty of food and I only do exercise stuff that I think is fun. I am NOT into torturing myself.

My Hubby pointed out last night that my wrists and ankles are looking different too, so I knew things were happening but man is it nice to have actual data to back the feelings and observations.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Awesome results for one month!
    Luv your pic!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
    On exercise...its never usually fun at first. It usually gets more fun as you get better at it. Something you think you hate might get more fun if you get better at it.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    That's very true Wordpainter. I used to avoid everything thinking I had to be the good at it. Now I just try stuff and see what happens, and then start planning how to do it a little bit better. Life is more fun this way!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Nicely done, Jenny! You're amazing!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Thanks Janelle! I took some pictures today hoping that the shrinking continues :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!