Bad knees...what can I do?

Options
I have really bad knees. Partly because I'm overweight but also because I have very little cartilage in them. What exercise can I start that won't completely kill my knees?

Replies

• Lmkurtz725
    Options
    I have had two knee surgeries...the last was 4 1/2 months ago. I've always been able to do the elliptical...even within a few weeks of surgery. I work out with a personal trainer twice a month and he knows my limitations when it comes to squats and lunges (my surgeon HATES those) and other types of exercises that would hurt my knees. I'm still not ready to start running again, but find I can do quite a bit without knee pain. Remember, if it hurts, don't do it!
    In physical therapy I did seated leg presses (start out light) and leg curls.....just work you way up. Also, the bike is usually pretty easy on your knees (I used a stationary bike within 2-3 weeks of both surgeries).
    I had a cartilage graft in my right knee because I had two areas that were bone on bone. So far recovery has been long and hard, but I see some improvement (I never could ride with my husband on his motorcycle comfortably until after this surgery....my knee always ACHED....also I find that I can stand for long periods of time without pain...couldn't do that before).
    Good luck
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I found that when I started doing squats and lunges (especially once I started lifting heavy) my knees got amazingly better! I believe it's because all the muscles surrounding my knees were finally strong enough to support me. If you do go this route make sure you're doing it with good form or you'll make things worse. And be aware of how your knees are feeling. You don't want to just work through pain when it comes to your knees. I did wear knee support for awhile until they got better. :)