Muscle vs. Fat = They weigh the same, so why does the scale

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    (the rest of topic title)

increase when I exercise?

Please answer this for me. It's driving me nuts and really bothering me.

muscle and fat do not weigh the same. You take a square cubic inch of fat and muscle. Muscle weighs more.

Women can hold water alot easier than men, watch your sodium, eat back your excersise calories, be patient.

Your explanation suggests muscle is more dense than fat. This is correct.
    Muscle does not, however, *weigh* more than fat.

You're talking about density, not weight.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try it for youre self. Go buy a steak, cut off the fat, find a way to measure, then cut the same sized piece from the Meat. Weight it, it won't be the same weight. I did it using a 1/4 measureing cup.
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    Ok, simple way to example muscle vs fat.

5lbs of muscle will weigh the same as 5lbs of fat, but the fat will be bigger in size.

If you had a cube of fat and a cube of muscle both the same size, the muscle would weigh more.

But yeah, it's probably just water weight. You exercising and eating the correct amount of calories will help you lose weight, but don't weigh after you workout, as the muscles will be holding on to water. If I was you, I'd weigh first thing in the morning before having any food. You should keep it consistent. So weight once a week on the same day in the morning :)

I think that makes sense? :D
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Technically that statement is true a pound of anything is exactly one pound weight however the size is drastically different. A pound of muscle takes about 40% as much space as a pound of fat. However in regards to weighing more after exercise this is easy. When people exercise more they drink more water or at least should. Your muscles use this water to deliver everything needed to repair themselves. You dont want to loose this "water weight" what you should do to make yourself feel better about it is to stop using the scale for about two weeks. Take measurements of yourself before the break. Then measure yourself after. Even if that scale says the same thing look at the measurements. They tell a much more reliable story of your health and improvement.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    So you are saying this weight gain is probably just water weight? How do I get water weight to come off in a healthy manner?

Water that your muscles use for repair is healthy and you don't want to get rid of it. This is not the same as when people say they ate a ton of sodium and want to lose the resulting water weight.

This.

It will equalise over time. And if you get used to how your body gains and loses water in relation to workouts, it won't bother you anymore. I know that I'll hold a few pounds after a heavy lifting workout. That's ok. I know it makes me look a *whole* lot better, makes me stronger, fitter and more able. That's far more important than a number on the scale.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    fat-v-muscle.jpg

and its just water like everyone else said.. don't weigh after working out.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    So you are saying this weight gain is probably just water weight? How do I get water weight to come off in a healthy manner?

Typically your body holds on to water for a reason (i.e. repair) so I don't suggest you trying to deplete these water stores. If you are really concerned make sure you are drinking enough water and watching your sodium intake. If your sodium is high, you will need a lot of water to help flush it out of your system and balance your water levels.

Weigh yourself after a rest day, over time you will see a change in the scale.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Normally from retaining water. If you're not hydrated enough or new to exercise your cells will try to hold on to water since your body doesn't know what is going on yet and feels it needs to hold on to what water it can if not getting enough.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options

muscle and fat do not weigh the same. You take a square cubic inch of fat and muscle. Muscle weighs more.

Women can hold water alot easier than men, watch your sodium, eat back your excersise calories, be patient.

Muscle and fat do weigh the same! 1lb is 1lb .What you are refering to is density. 5 lbs of muscle is more dense than fat thus taking up less space. So in the end you are probably hanging on to water.
  • Muscle and fat DO weigh the same.
    You have a pound of fat, and a found of muscle. Which one weighs more? .... Exactly.
    They just do different things to your body. Hold up 3 grapefruits to your stomach. That's 5 pounds of fat. Now hold 3 plums, or something very tiny. That's 5 pounds of muscle.
    Is that clear?
  • samanthangeline
    Options
    You shouldn't judge your progress entirely on what the scale says. Yes they technically weigh the same as 1 pound of anything will weigh 1 pound. If you find that the scale isn't moving and you are not satisfied with what your body looks like, try changing up your routine every 2-3 weeks. Your body becomes used to your routines and will plateau...To avoid this I change up my work outs (add more cardio, less weights/ more weight training, less cardio) and find it helps.

As for eliminating water weight...Stay away from salty foods and caffeine as these tend to make you retain more water. Also if you are looking to get rid of the water weight quickly whether for an event you're attending or photos you will be taking you can use a diuretic. I use one called Watertight, I use it when I have extra bloat from my period, traveling by airplane, and anytime i want to shed an extra few pounds and have my muscles look more defined, whether for an event or even going to the beach!
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    This topic is what really confuses me. But from personal experience i think i believe that you can gain weight if you gain muscle but your inches will be less. For example, i've been working out for 4-6 days a week for the past 2-3 years and 2 years ago i weighed like 5-7lbs less than what i do now but my inches and jeans size are the same as it was then.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You don't.

Your body stores glucose and the water that goes with it based on your energy needs based on your exercise level you are putting your body through.

If you really don't want that weight - don't exercise. Your body will stop storing so much glucose, you'll drop the water weight based on that storage.

But that would be akin to just cutting off a forearm thinking you want to drop weight the body finds needed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Muscle and fat do weigh the same! 1lb is 1lb .What you are refering to is density. 5 lbs of muscle is more dense than fat thus taking up less space. So in the end you are probably hanging on to water.

This statement is only true if you make an assumption that there is exactly 1 lb of both fat and muscle. Density is the reason muscle weighs more, not the reason it doesn't.

When asked only "does muscle weigh more than fat" the only correct answer would be "If you have the same volume of both it does." Without knowing the volume any other answer must include assumption. Assuming that the person asking the question not only already knew the weight of both, but knew both were exactly the same weight and still asked which weighs more seems illogical to me.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options

This drives me insane. Of course they do not weigh the same. Who thinks about density when referring to weight really. If you have a cup of muscle and a cup of fat, the cup of muscle will weight more. Everyone knows that a 1lb is always equal to 1lb I wish people would stop using this as an argument. Muscle is denser which in terms means it does weigh more for the same volume. Which is what everyone refers to. I'm not attacking you personally. It's just this statement drives me nuts.
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options

This drives me insane. Of course they do not weigh the same. Who thinks about density when referring to weight really. If you have a cup of muscle and a cup of fat, the cup of muscle will weight more. Everyone knows that a 1lb is always equal to 1lb I wish people would stop using this as an argument. Muscle is denser which in terms means it does weigh more for the same volume. Which is what everyone refers to. I'm not attacking you personally. It's just this statement drives me nuts.

^^ Me too!!
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few posts where people say muscle weighs more than fat ... not strictly true a 1lb is a 1lb so 1lb weighs a lb , 1 lb of feathers weighs the same as 1lb of lead.

What you really mean is muscle is more dense than fat. 1 lb of feathers would be a bigger volume and 1lb of lead would be a tiny amount.

Im a scientist sorry I cant help it mass, density and weight are not the same thing and it drives me insane when people say otherwise. If I use those three words interchangeably id be sacked as my work would make no sense.

Science is the answer.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few posts where people say muscle weighs more than fat ... not strictly true a 1lb is a 1lb so 1lb weighs a lb , 1 lb of feathers weighs the same as 1lb of lead.

What you really mean is muscle is more dense than fat. 1 lb of feathers would be a bigger volume and 1lb of lead would be a tiny amount.

Im a scientist sorry I cant help it mass, density and weight are not the same thing and it drives me insane when people say otherwise. If I use those three words interchangeably id be sacked as my work would make no sense.

Science is the answer.

Yes Miss, science is the answer. So...if you are comparing specific weights of two different items...lets say...oh, fat and muscle for example...what's the NECESSARY control that HAS to be utilized?

I'll let all you 1lber's think on that a moment while those of us that live in the really real world take a deep breath to regain our sanity.

/sigh!

There...now, the answer is volume. In order to compare weight, you MUST assume the same volume!! Every moron knows 1lb equals 1lb. How come you all can't figure out that when someone says muscle weighs more than fat, a CONTROLLED, EQUAL volume HAS to be assumed?

Lord this gives me a headache...but its like a loose tooth. I just can't help but argue against narrow mindedness :l.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    1) In the short term, any gain following exercise will be water retention, as muscle fibres retain water in the repair process.
    2) in the lnger term, muscle in denser than fat, so 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat, so you may be slimmer but still weigh the same.

Tis is why it is important never to judge just by what the scales are saying.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    If you're sore, don't weigh in.