I am dizzie and tired most days

chels0
chels0 Posts: 25 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I went from an active lifestyle that included eating whatever I wanted all the time and never gaining any additional weight, to trying to cut calories to get rid of an extra 5-10 pouns that comes and goes, I am within my BMI but would be more comforable with my body (expecially in the summer time at the beach) if I lost 10 pounds. I am 6' tall and others dont really notice the weigh but I do.

I do truly have pretty healthy eating habits, as far as eating lots of fruits and vegetables daily and I have never drank soda or caffeine. I do however indulge in pizza, enchiladas, and lasagna on a pretty regular basis. I usually eat steak for dinner about 4 nights a week.

About a month ago I started paying attention to what I eat and counting calories. Since I stared counting calories and trying to stay at 1200 a day I have been feeling odd. Tired, dizzie and just not mentally aware. I started taking womens one a day vitamins and iron pills, (which helped with the unusaul bruises I started getting very easily) but I am still not feeling 100%. I stay pretty full eating mostly salad, fresh fruit and chicken but I dont know what else to do. I dont want to stop dieting because I have lost 5-6 pounds (but I cant tell physically).

As far as my body I feel great and full of energy, I am just mentally tired and cant seem to focus or keep my eyes open, if that makes sense....

Please help

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    With the amount of red meat your eating a week I would drop the Iron pill, chances are your getting pleanty from your food. If you OD on iron it is VERY detrimental to your body.
  • chels0
    chels0 Posts: 25 Member
    The red meat was prior to the diet, now I eat mostly fruit, veggies, and chicken.
  • bikermama
    bikermama Posts: 14
    feeling dizzie and tired could be because your iron intake is a little lower that what you are used to. Beef contains a lot of iron and since you are eating mostly chicken that could be contributing to the tired feeling. also your body may be used to higher levels of protein. protein eaten in conjunction with simple or starchy carbs helps maintain you sugar level which if the sugar goes low will make you tired and dizzie. you might try adding more protein and possibly about 300 calories to your diet. you would still lose but not as fast and maybe you will feel more alert.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    You could just be way under your actual calorie requirement. Check out this new group for taller women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/54859-amazing-amazons-new-group-for-tall-ladies
    They were all chatting earlier today about how they have a higher base calorie need than average and they may be able to offer some great advice and support.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    I agree that an increase in calories might do the trick. Especially since the change matches up with when you changed your diet. But, if it doesn't resolve itself, please go see your doctor. Both could be signs of diabetes as well as other conditions.
  • You know what?...I've felt the exact same thing for the past 3-4 weeks. I am very active and work out just about every single day, and play indoor soccer one night a week. I haven't been able to clearly concentrate and feel so tired all the time. I'm eating about 1800-2000 calories a day, am 5'6'' and weigh around 118 or so. I burn about 300-400 cals when I work out. I eat mostly fruits and veggies, whole grains, chicken and turkey, and take a multivitamin everyday. I drink about 2 nalgenes and a cup of coffee a day so I can't figure out why I'm dizzy and tired as well.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    It sounds like you aren't eating enough. 1200 calories is really low for a person who is young and 6 ft. I'm 5'10'' and I try to eat around 1500 or more depending on how much I exercise that day. Also, are you eating carbs? Salads and chicken isn't enough. Make sure you are eating enough carbs, that could be the reason. Good luck, hope you feel better! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Looks like a lot of good suggestions were already given...you have to factor in the calories that you're burning throughout the day too ie. your exercise calories. If you're exercising or burning more calories throughout the day and still only trying to stay below 1200, that might be doing something to your body to make you feel the way that you're feeling as well.

It was mentioned here that if you eat too far below your recommended daily calorie intake (that's already set at a deficit) your body will go into starvation mode and that could also be a factor.

Hope that helps and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    sounds like you may not be eating enough. I am 5'9" and 1200 is too low for me, granted, I have a lot more weight to loose than you. you may need to take in 300-400 more calories.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    I recommend:
    waterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwater
    waterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwater
    waterwaterwaterwaterwater
    waterwaterwater
    water!
    :bigsmile:
    Staying hydrated is really important & can alleviate some of the symptoms you're experiencing. Soda, coffee & tea don't always do the trick. Sport drinks can be filled with sodium & sugar.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Sweetie, there's no way in the world a woman of 6' with a healthy BMI should be anywhere near 1200 calories. That number should be taboo for you.

I would say you probably have a maintenance calorie number of what... about 2300 to 2400? You should never go below 1800 net (that means with exercise added in) at your height and BMI.

This is only MHO, so take it for what it's worth, but I'd be willing to bet you're dizzy because you aren't getting enough food.
  • Honeybunn
    Honeybunn Posts: 39
    If you are concerned about the way you are feeling since beginning your diet, you may want to check in with your doctor. (just to make sure). Some standard blood tests could reveal a bigger problem such as hypoglycemia. Just make sure you are eating enough, drinking lots of water, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.