I'm debating whether or not to stop counting fruits and vegg

Options

Replies

• flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables make up 90% of what I eat. If I didn't log them, my diary would be practically empty and would give me a false perception of what I intake. That said, each person has to find what works for them.
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just lost 35 pounds on WW. The only problem I see in your plan is that WW takes a moderate portion of fruits and veggies into account when they figure your points just as they do your 49 extra points for the week. If you don't count it you will probably go over your calorie goal.

This is a good lessons learned about WW. So, I will keep counting my fruit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Clearly doing this would have a positive influence on your diet so why not try it? If it doesn't work you can always go back to logging everything. I am a big fan of tricks as long as they are heatlhy and tricking yourself into eating more fruits and veggies is definitely healthy.
  • AfroZulu
    AfroZulu Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with every one else: don't count the veggies - but count the fruit!
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I've been thinking about this myself. I think personally if I did that I would lower my overall calories. Say, instead of 1700 cals a day, do 1400 to 1500 and eat more fruits and veggies and don't count them.

I know on the Biggest Loser, Bob has always said to not count veggies, but I find myself counting them here because i have a open diary and I don't want it to look like I don't eat any! haha... They add up very slowly anyway.

I ate 30 blackberries today and was shocked it was only 64 calories. YUM!

I would do whatever you feel like doing, you are going to anyway! ;)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables make up 90% of what I eat. If I didn't log them, my diary would be practically empty and would give me a false perception of what I intake. That said, each person has to find what works for them.

Same here. They do add up... especially fruits, avocados, and root vegetables.
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Back in the day I went through a phase of eating up to 8 apples a day and it didn't seem to matter to the scales if I counted them towards my total or not. I did that for several months and it really helped keep hunger at bay. Not sure how scientifically valid that is, but in any case you're not going to get fat from eating too much fresh fruit and veg. Ironically bananas may be an exception, because they're quite high in calories (relatively speaking). Grapes have got a lot of sugar, but other than that I think it's fair to be a bit slack with fruit. Or maybe add a generic 100 cals per day and eat as much of the green (red, yellow, orange) stuff as you like?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I don't count them if it's in small quantities. For example, when I make baked spaghetti I chop up some veggies and throw them in there... but it seriously ends up being like a single slice of onion, 1/8 of a zucchini, 1/12 of a bell pepper, etc. That stuff is so low-cal that I don't bother logging it.

If I eat larger things I do log it, though; for example I would log a banana. They're around 100 calories so that's a decent chunk of my daily goal.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Consider the banana as healthy fuel for your workout.

MFP calculates your weight loss on diet alone without exercising, so when you do exercise, it allows you more calories.

Say your MFP calorie goal is 1,500 a day. Then you take your walk and burn 120. MFP now gives you 1,620 to eat for today. You ate the banana. Now your calorie goal is still 1,500 for the rest of the day.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    As someone who has and is still doing WW (and works as WW receptionist), that the idea behind the "zero point" fruits and vegetables is to get people to consider healhier options. Instead of using 2 or 3 points on a 100 calorie snack pack, they are hoping people will consider having an apple, grapes, or carrots instead.

Now, on a personal note (and the reason I use MFP for tracking food and not WW E-Tools) is because I had a hard time losing and then maintaining with the zero point fruits... because I was eating more fruit than I was aware of and once I started figuring out the calories/points for what I was eating, I was bit shocked.

I've noticed that people who have quite a bit of weight to lose, the zero points fruits and veggies works great, but people close to goal or maintaining have a hard time with it.

My suggestions would be to try it, but if you notice your weight is stalled or you are gaining, then you may want to track the fruits and veggies.
  • Renee_Leslie
    Options
    Actually, grapes are a low-sugar food. I apologize that I don't have my old WW valet, but if I remember correctly, you would have to eat 1-1/2 cups of grapes to equal "1" point (50 to 60 calories). (Any Weight Watchers members please correct me if I'm wrong)

Really fleshy fruits like mangos and bananas are higher in points/calories, AND may also have some hidden fats. Citrus is just high in sugars. These are still okay as long as eaten in moderation (these you may want to count)

The best fruits to eat are berries (strawberrys, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, cherries) and melons(watermelon, cantelope), because they have the lowest sugar content (i.e. Strawberries have less sugar than lemons).

As I see it, as long as you watch what "types" of fruit and vegetables you eat, there should be no problem if you don't count them, as it is said "You can eat anything... in moderation". I hope this helps.

(Apologies... this was suppose to be a reply to "Twinshe" 's comment on page one. I'm still trying to figure out how the boards work here)
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone--there's some super valuable info and advice here.

I think that since I'm new to counting, the weighing and measuring of 8 carrot sticks and a kiwi at lunch, only to then "blow" my exercise calories with a paltry banana made my face hurt. I admire those of you who can demurely eat 3 strawberries and call it a day--alas, my brain can't take it! I'm coming from a place of reckless Rolo abandon--I think I need to allow myself a limitless supply of blueberries for the time being.

I'll try the fruits and veg are free route for a few weeks, and then perhaps take it back to counting just fruit. I'll certainly keep you posted:-)
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I count everything that goes into my mouth... a calorie is a calorie.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    As someone who has and is still doing WW (and works as WW receptionist), that the idea behind the "zero point" fruits and vegetables is to get people to consider healhier options. Instead of using 2 or 3 points on a 100 calorie snack pack, they are hoping people will consider having an apple, grapes, or carrots instead.

Now, on a personal note (and the reason I use MFP for tracking food and not WW E-Tools) is because I had a hard time losing and then maintaining with the zero point fruits... because I was eating more fruit than I was aware of and once I started figuring out the calories/points for what I was eating, I was bit shocked.

I've noticed that people who have quite a bit of weight to lose, the zero points fruits and veggies works great, but people close to goal or maintaining have a hard time with it.

My suggestions would be to try it, but if you notice your weight is stalled or you are gaining, then you may want to track the fruits and veggies.

I agree!! WW is all about how you do it!! I would log everything! If your calorie goal doesn't allow you to eat a serving of fruit or 2 and 3-4 healthy filling meals, then you may just need to up your calories a bit. Maybe move a little bit more. It's all about balance. :-)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone--there's some super valuable info and advice here.

I think that since I'm new to counting, the weighing and measuring of 8 carrot sticks and a kiwi at lunch, only to then "blow" my exercise calories with a paltry banana made my face hurt. I admire those of you who can demurely eat 3 strawberries and call it a day--alas, my brain can't take it! I'm coming from a place of reckless Rolo abandon--I think I need to allow myself a limitless supply of blueberries for the time being.

I'll try the fruits and veg are free route for a few weeks, and then perhaps take it back to counting just fruit. I'll certainly keep you posted:-)

If you are new to counting, I highly suggest logging everything you eat or drink, no matter what it is.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of any "free" foods. It gives me the same feeling as logging "cleaning" or "cooking" as exercise. I feel like I am trying to cheat reality.

Exactly! I wore my HRM as I cleaned the house one day... just for fun... and unless people are running up and down the stairs constantly with a heavy clothing basket, those estimates are WAY high.

I had a MFP friend who seriously logged over 1,000 calories burned for food prep. ARE YOU JOKING? ;)
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Options

If you are new to counting, I highly suggest logging everything you eat or drink, no matter what it is.

Thanks. The problem is I currently *deeply* resent being made to labor over 8 carrot sticks, knowing full well no one ever gained weight eating carrots. I feel like if I ease into it, and let myself zone out at my desk with some snap peas (where once it was gummy bears) I'll better be able to not hate the hell out of this process, as I found myself doing today with all the weighing and fretting over plant foods.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    calories are calories.

^^^THIS.

Don't cheat. Your mom is on a different diet plan than you. Don't try to compare it. MFP isn't going to work for you if you aren't following it correctly, no matter if it's with healthy stuff or not.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Options
    I don't like the idea of any "free" foods. It gives me the same feeling as logging "cleaning" or "cooking" as exercise. I feel like I am trying to cheat reality.

Exactly! I wore my HRM as I cleaned the house one day... just for fun... and unless people are running up and down the stairs constantly with a heavy clothing basket, those estimates are WAY high.

I had a MFP friend who seriously logged over 1,000 calories burned for food prep. ARE YOU JOKING? ;)

Haha....wait, so I haven't burned 893 calories for "fretting about fruits"??? There goes that!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    They are calories whether you count them or not.