Strawberry Shortcake

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
We are going a friend's house for dinner this weekend, and I'd like to take Strawberry Shortcake :love: for dessert. The strawberries are healthy, and I can pick up some cool whip, but does anyone have any thoughts for the biscuits? My backup plan is to use angel food cake and put strawberries and cool whip on it, but I'm sure someone out there has a better idea :wink:

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    angel food cake is the way to go. Sounds super yummy !!!!! Cindy
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I make homemade buttermilk buscuits with low fat buttermilk.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Sounds good... do you know the nutritional info for those by any chance? :flowerforyou:
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Here's one from my Hungry Girl cookbook.

For a picture:
    Go to www.hungry-girl.com/book (click on the 200 under 200 book) Click on Chapter 9...Look for Strawberry Shortcakes.

Strawberry shortycakes PER SERVING (1 cupcake):
    68 calories, 0g fat, 107mg sodium, 17.5g carbs, 0g fiber, 8.5g sugars, 1g protein POINTS® value 1*

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup angel food cake mix (1/3 of a 16 ounce box)
    3/4 cup Cool Whip Free, thawed
    3/4 cup sugar-free strawberry preserves
    3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375°

Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups (You MUST use baking cups for this recipe.) Do not spray with nonstick spray.

Place cake mix in a medium mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup water. Using an electric mixer, beat at a low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix for 1 minute. Let sit for 2 minutes.

Evenly distribute cake mixture among baking cups. bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes, until tops are golden brown.

Allow cupcakes to cool completely, then carefully peel cupcakes from baking cups and plate them. Spread 1 tablespoon preserves over the top of each cupcake. Top each with 1 tablespoon of Cool Whip. Evenly distribute the strawberries among the cupcake tops.

Makes 12 servings.