Never do another crunch!

This is why i never do cruches:

By Tom Kelso from Breaking Muscle:

When I give my Strength Training 101 presentation to new recruits at the St. Louis Police Academy, one of the questions I hit them with is this:
All other factors being equal, which of these three options would be the most effective in the attempt to reduce abdominal fat?
Abdominal crunches – two sets of 30 repetitions to muscular fatigue
Abdominal crunches – four sets of 30 repetitions to muscular fatigue.
Leg Press – two sets of 20 repetitions to muscular fatigue.

Inevitably, most choose the second option, a few pick option one, and rarely does anyone opt for the leg press choice. After all, if two sets of an abdominal exercise are effective, then doubling the effort must be better, right? The truth is option three is the correct answer, which completely stuns them.

Hey Mr. Kelso, I can’t recall seeing a late-night infomercial with some dude on a leg press machine trying to shred abdominal fat.

Performing two demanding sets of leg presses utilizes more energy as compared to two or four demanding sets of abdominal exercises. More muscle tissue is involved – thus ultimately more calories are burned – so it is the best option, all other factors being equal. Remember, to lose body fat, a calorie deficit must exist. Additionally, one cannot spot reduce body fat!

Infomercials and ignorance aside, a study was recently conducted at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville to determine the effect of abdominal exercises on abdominal fat. 24 sedentary people (14 men and 10 women) between the ages of 18 and 40 years were randomly assigned to one of the following two groups: control group (CG) or abdominal exercise group (AG). Anthropometrics, body composition, and abdominal muscular endurance were tested before and after training. The AG performed two sets of 10 repetitions on seven abdominal exercises, five days per week for six weeks. The CG received no intervention, and all participants maintained a similar diet throughout the study.

The results of the study showed…hang on now… you are sitting down?…ready?

THERE WAS NO SIGNIFICANT EFFECT OF ABDOMINAL EXERCISES ON BODY WEIGHT, BODY FAT, ANDROID FAT PERCENTAGE, ANDROID FAT, ABDOMINAL CIRCUMFERENCE, ABDOMINAL SKINFOLD, AND SUPRAILIAC SKINFOLD MEASUREMENTS.

Their epic conclusion was this: six weeks of abdominal exercise training by itself was not sufficient to reduce abdominal subcutaneous fat and other measures of body composition. However, abdominal exercise training did significantly improved muscular endurance to a greater extent than the CG. On the post-test, the AG performed a significantly greater amount of curl-up repetitions (47 ± 13) compared to the CG (32 ± 9).

Wow!

Seriously, will we ever arrive at the day when those in the training world completely understand abdominal exercises are a poor choice for fat reduction? Probably not, as long as new abdominal devices and programs keep coming down the infomercial turnpike.

Fat reduction tutorial, time immemorial:
Create a calorie deficit. Eat better foods.
Perform high calorie-demand exercise. Involve the large muscles of the body.
Train your abdominals sensibly, but understand you are working MUSCLE, not fat.
Stay up late at night so you can laugh at the latest abdominal gizmo infomercial.

http://breakingmuscle.com/training/you-cannot-crunch-your-way-abs-science-says-so

Replies

• et57
    et57 Posts: 20 Member
    bump
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    interesting...
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    yes sir, I have no problem listening to someone with abs like yours....
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    I like this theory! I'd like to use the excuse that after 4 kids, I have minimal abdominal muscle strength to do crunches, but the truth is that I never really did have much to begin with!

On the other hand, I LOVE the leg press. It's the only circuit training machine that I feel that I am even remotely good at. I am using a weight that by the end of the 3rd set, it's all I can do to actually push it and hold it up! I feel like I am working hard, heart rate, sweat, etc when performing the leg press versus any other machine that I don't feel I can utilize propertly.

I will definitely keep working on uping my strength in the leg press, not just for my legs and butt, but also my abs.

Thank you for posting this!

(had to edit to correct a few words). :smile:
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    very interesting!! Thank you.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    bump!
  • NKolhar
    NKolhar Posts: 96 Member
    thank god I
    do leg Press as well just might increase the intensity thanks for sharing
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 308 Member
    That's really interesting!!!
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 310 Member
    Ahhh....very interesting!! Here I just started the 200 sit ups challenge....lol. So are you saying you don't do them at all? You clearly have the abs down. I can totally see how the leg press would achieve results, but I was of the mind that the combination would be best. Thanks for posting, you learn something new everyday!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Interesting study and results. Alas, I have to able to do x number of sit ups in x amount of time so I have to them regardless.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    So true. Good stuff :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    that's a lot of text to say something most everyone knows by now: You can't spot reduce
  • anttrail
    anttrail Posts: 37 Member
    Bump