Stupid newb question

Options
So I came here thinking that I wanted to go down from 245 to 210, and I was planning on doing nothing but cardio. Then I started reading on here and talking to a dude that I work with that is also doing strength training, not building massive muscle, just doing a lot of low weight, high reps exercises to tone, which is what I'm going to do. So my question is, should I expect to see losses on the scale, or stay about the same because of slight muscle build? I know the real way of telling a change is to see how my clothes fit, but I was just curious and wanting to hear the opinions of more experienced people. Speaking of, tomorrow is my first official weigh in, wish me luck!

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Make calorie deficit. Weight go away.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My situation is super different; I'm a girl who doesn't lift.

BUT, after being on MFP, I can tell you that you will probably see some differences, but weight loss is 80% eating and 20% exercise. Keep this in mind! Good luck!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wait.. I meant uuungoounn guuaaaa Hiiii aaaggjj.

That either wookie, or Klingon. No offence if I got it wrong.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    lift heavy, dude, not light. alternate with cardio. look hot :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

lift heavy look hot hmmmmm seems she must lift heavy as she is HOT:)) words to live by!!!
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    I would suggest prioritizing doing what you LOVE and what motivates you to do more of it. If you DRED cardio, lift as much as you can, as often as you can. If you DRED lifting, but love running. Go out and run. I personally love running and cycling long distances OUTSIDE, but can't stay on a treadmill for more than 10 minutes without wanting to stab myself in the eye. I like lifting but can't do too much of it because I get bored. I think if you're not training for some competition, the most important thing is to keep doing whatever that is not sitting on the couch eating massive quantities of bad foods. just my untrained opinion though. ;-)
  • AfroWookie
    Options

Maybe eventually, right now I'm just trying to get myself lean
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    A basic calorie deficit causes weight loss. You dont even need to exercise.

That being said, you need to define what you want to look like at 210.

Sub-Average guy - Just eat with a Caloric deficit.
    Average Guy - Cardio only - You'll burn it quicker...get to eat more, but you are only improving your lungs, heart, and overall stamina for exercise. You will lose Muscle mass here!!
    Average guy with some muscle left over - Cardio & lift LIGHT. Most research indicates that light lifting with higher reps gives you tone. Sounds like a woman to me...LoL
    Guy with some UMPH! - Cardio and Moderate Lifting.
    Guy with the definition - Cardio and Heavy Lifting.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Cardio makes you lose fat and muscle. Low weight/high rep lifting is in many ways more similar to cardio than it is to lifting heavy. Look up Stronglifts 5x5 - it is a straightforward, simple program that will help you keep muscle. If your muscles start getting "too big", you can just lift less once that happens. In the mean time, you will lose more fat thanks to increased muscle mass.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat at a caloric deficit and lift as heavy as you can. A bunch of people are going to explain why, so let's wait for them to show up.
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Lifting light weights for more reps to get "toned" is BS. Sorry to say.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I would suggest prioritizing doing what you LOVE and what motivates you to do more of it. If you DRED cardio, lift as much as you can, as often as you can. If you DRED lifting, but love running. Go out and run. I personally love running and cycling long distances OUTSIDE, but can't stay on a treadmill for more than 10 minutes without wanting to stab myself in the eye. I like lifting but can't do too much of it because I get bored. I think if you're not training for some competition, the most important thing is to keep doing whatever that is not sitting on the couch eating massive quantities of bad foods. just my untrained opinion though. ;-)
    This.

Losing weight is mostly about the calorie deficit. Cardio will improve your fitness and give you more calories to play with.

I can't stand lifting. Zzzzzz. But running has definitely given muscle definition to my calves and thighs. If I get to the point where I feel like I need to define the muscles elsewhere I'll weigh my options (lifting vs. boredom) again then.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

that WILL get you lean.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options

that WILL get you lean.

+1, this is what I'm doing & the measurements are going down.

I'm already at ideal weight so the weight part is different for me, although I can still lose another kg or two without any issues.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    My situation is super different; I'm a girl who doesn't lift.

BUT, after being on MFP, I can tell you that you will probably see some differences, but weight loss is 80% eating and 20% exercise. Keep this in mind! Good luck!

I completely disagree, it's 100% diet/nutrition, 100% training, 100% positive mind set =]
    you're diet must be impeccable
    you're training must be hardcore
    you're mind must be unstoppable

-akira
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

that WILL get you lean.
    this! I started lifting in october. lost about 15 then started lifting heavy in january. lost the other five but it got me back into my size six and eights. my profile pics are what are amazing to me as I don't see the difference but the camera shows it. don't listen to the scale, measure yourself and go by how your clothes fit. wouldn't you rather have some sexy muscle than be thin and wiry? I don't know about any of the other girls out there, but I prefer my guy with muscle, not how thin he is.
  • AfroWookie
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everybody! I'm confused though, I thought lifting heavy would build bulk muscle and right now that's not what I'm looking for. But I'm going to go with the experience on these forums because you all have gone through this. Thank you so much! Also, I need friends to help keep me motivated, feel free to send me a request. I've tried diets change before and always given up. This time I'm trying to look at it as a real lifestyle change and hopefully it'll last. I'll see my girlfriend again in 2 months and I want to make her jaw drop when we see each other :)
  • tgzerozone
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everybody! I'm confused though, I thought lifting heavy would build bulk muscle and right now that's not what I'm looking for. But I'm going to go with the experience on these forums because you all have gone through this. Thank you so much! Also, I need friends to help keep me motivated, feel free to send me a request. I've tried diets change before and always given up. This time I'm trying to look at it as a real lifestyle change and hopefully it'll last. I'll see my girlfriend again in 2 months and I want to make her jaw drop when we see each other :)

You don't just Bulk muscle. You need to be following the correct diet to be able to bulk muscle, and even then it takes time. I think any bodybuilder see it as a slap in the face when people assume that by just lifting heavy weights they are going to look like Arnold in no time. It is simply not that easy and takes dedication relating to diet, sleep and the correct exercise.

What do you expect from high rep light weight lifting?

Please also remember that the word "Toning" is a thought out thing to make lifting weights more appealing to woman. It's crap. The only way to "tone" (I hate that word) your muscles is to loose the fat around them. Your muscles don't change shape by lifting light weights for many reps. They can either grow, stay the same, or shrink. That's it. Muscle shape is determined by your genetics, and there is not a thing you can do to change how they will look (Except their size)
  • tgzerozone
    Options
    It's like people saying they don't want to use swimming as exercise as they don't want wide shoulders. Wide shoulders is a result of training several hours daily for swimmers, not a few laps in a pool every other day.