My first day at 1800 calories

Options
Today I upped my calories to 1800. MFP had them at 1350, and I was so miserable, and every pound felt like it took every second of every day just to stay on program. So I decided to give this higher calorie thing a chance. Wow, what a difference!! Instead of sitting here with my stomach turning over on itself and all weak, tired and cranky from starving, I actually feel completely satisfied and I'm not talking and thinking about food constantly. What a concept, huh? Now, hopefully I'll lose at this level!! Cause if I don't, I don't know what I'm going to do....there is no way I could sustain the 1350 calories/day for any length of time.

Replies

• AfroWookie
    Options
    Good luck! I've found that if I find myself feeling hungry, I'll drink a little extra water and it will make that hungry feeling subside
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I hope it works for you, I am sure it will as long as you keep up some sort of exercise regimen and keep active, and make the calories as healthy as possible.
  • keigyarto
    keigyarto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you feel good at the 1800 but find you aren't losing, try just going down a little. Going from 1300 to 1800 is pretty significant. I was at 1620 and I felt very good at that level and had slow but decent weight loss.
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories recently-though it wasn't on purpose. I was hungry and listened to my body. It took some time...but I broke through a plateau and lost a pound and half while eating 1800-2000 a day. I think the key is to listen to your body-if it's hungry then it needs fuel.
  • austindog2
    austindog2 Posts: 128
    Options
    MFP had me at 1410 for a few weeks, and I was miserable too! I'm 5'10'' and my BMR (as calculated by this site) is around 1570, so I wasn't actually giving my body enough fuel to function... no wonder I was exhausted! I recently upped my calories to 1610, and that extra 200 calories has made a huge difference! I was struggling with a plateau for 3 weeks and broke it once I increased. I've been steadily losing 1-1.5lbs per week at the higher calorie intake :)

Let us know how it works out for you!