Protein Intake

Options
Hi everyone.

So I made a post a few days ago asking for advice on how to get out of my two month long plateau. Many people said it was my diet, and that I really need more protein. I'm slightly confused though...

How the hell can I come even close to my protein intake? They say you should consume the number of grams in protein that's equal to your body mass. I'm around 140lbs, so I should have my protein macro set around 140g, right? Can someone please tell me if I set my diary macros right? Because I feel like I'm doing something wrong..

But, if I'm not doing anything wrong, like I said, how do you come close to consuming the amount of protein you need?! I have nuts almost everyday, I'm getting back on eating cheese, I eat meat almost every day, eggs on the weekends, and now I'm starting to drink protein shakes. But like I said, I'm no where near my goal at the end of the day.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• OneLuckyRabbit
    OneLuckyRabbit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your protein intake should be equal to your lean body mass (i.e. not including fat). I never even come close to this, but adding protein powder to shakes helps.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    good question, I eat the best i can but i am far from the protein id like to hear others comments on this! lol
  • bboston04
    Options
    what do you mean, plateau? related to your weight?
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a tasty way to get lots of protein - a 6 oz. Chobani has about 14 grams!
    Quinoa is another great alternative (and vegan)
    Beans
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult. Even with shakes anb protein bars almost daily, I have a hard time getting over 100g a day. You don't need quite as much if you are not weightlifting and on days you do not exercise. You only need about 1/2 your weight on days your not exercising because it won't help. If you are working out very hard, that is a different story because you don't want to lose too much muscle. A better way to figure it is based on your calorie intake. I would suggest changing your macros to 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs. Fish is extremey high in protien and one way to get it up.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well I think 100-120G of protien is a good goal I good way to get your protien is to buy a good whey protein powder. I weigh 178 but i probably have a lean muscle mass from 120-130 lbs so I try to get at the minimum 100g - 120g max
    (gold standard 1g sugar 1g fat 3g carbs and i believe around 25g of protien)

I have 2-3 protein shakes a day and eat meat lol :)
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you need more protein develop a taste for meat and eggs. And whey protein is great.

I have ingested 177 grams of protein today and it is only 4pm where I live. After dinner and my protein shake just before bed I will easily hit 213 which is 1 gram per pound of body weight for me.

If you don't like meat, eggs and dairy it will be a problem, but I love all that stuff.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    this may sound dumb,,,, but make sure when you log that the protein count is there LOL

Reason i say this is I was checking my reports & it shows i was super-low on 3/30/12 ... i went & looked & it turns out I ate a whole Coco brooks pasta bowl & I found a calorie count for it in the search but that entry didnt have anything for protein :( I was ripped off in my macros & I'm sure there was a good chunk there.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Your protein intake should be equal to your **lean body mass (i.e. not including fat).** I never even come close to this, but adding protein powder to shakes helps.

^^^This^^^
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Try around 1.5 grams of protein to every KG of your body weight if you're doing lots of muscle tearing exercise, depending on your goals a lot of people over estimate the amount of protein you actually need and excess protein is just wasted.
  • ginamaria724
    Options
    what do you mean, plateau? related to your weight?
    Yes, I've been stuck in a weight plateau for about two months now. I can't seem to break the 140lb barrier :l
    It is very difficult. Even with shakes anb protein bars almost daily, I have a hard time getting over 100g a day. You don't need quite as much if you are not weightlifting and on days you do not exercise. You only need about 1/2 your weight on days your not exercising because it won't help. If you are working out very hard, that is a different story because you don't want to lose too much muscle. A better way to figure it is based on your calorie intake. I would suggest changing your macros to 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs. Fish is extremey high in protien and one way to get it up.
    THANK YOU this is what I was looking for.

And guys I already love eggs, meat, nuts/beans, fish, and other dairy products EXCEPT YOGURT :( I wish I liked yogurt, but that's one of the few foods I just cant stand. But anyways, thank you so much for replies! I think I get it now :)
  • bboston04
    Options
    I easily exceed my protein for the day with three things (in some variation along the way)
    1. Bumblebee Sensations Tuna (Sweet Thai Chili is the BEST thing since sliced bread!!)
    2. Boiled Egg
    3. Chicken Breast (Perdue has thinly sliced Italian flavor)
    4. Salmon

You can put these on salads, whole grain pasta, brown rice...tons of things you can do with them!! Good luck! I tried quionoa...would rather eat...oh never mind--it's just gross, lol.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    When trying to increase your protein, just becareful of your fat intake... Walnuts and almonds have a good protien value, but they also have a high fat content(it's good fat, but still fat). I'm going through the same thing now, trying to lean out my meals more. It's hard but you can do it.
  • keigyarto
    keigyarto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add my 2 cents here. First, be careful of your protein choices. A lot of your protein choices come with a lot of fat, that is counter productive. Second, how often do you eat? I just started eating a low calorie / high protein diet and I eat every 2-3 hours. I feel fantastic and the weight is coming off very quickly. If you haven't heard this before, eating more often is better for you. It increases your metabolism and keeps your blood sugar more stable. Stable blood sugar = fewer spikes in blood insulin = fewer calories stored as fat.
  • bboston04
    Options
    I had this problem when I lost my weight. My goal was 30, but I could not lose those last three pounds!! It was NOT protein related because I had PLENTY of protein!!!

Have you researched muscle confusion? Working your major muscle groups--essentially "shocking" them a little by trying something new? It works woooonders!!!!
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    this may sound dumb,,,, but make sure when you log that the protein count is there LOL

Reason i say this is I was checking my reports & it shows i was super-low on 3/30/12 ... i went & looked & it turns out I ate a whole Coco brooks pasta bowl & I found a calorie count for it in the search but that entry didnt have anything for protein :( I was ripped off in my macros & I'm sure there was a good chunk there.

Good advice. I have seen the same thing when reviewing my day's food log a couple of time. Would get halfway down the page and notice an entry that said 250, or whatever, calories. and 0, 0. 0. across the rest of the columns.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have no problem making it over 100g a day. Just make sure most of your meals are protein-centric except for breakfast. and supplement your diet with protein shakes.
  • bboston04
    Options
    Hope this helps: http://www.ehow.com/how_5047672_schedule-muscle-confusion-workout.html

I totally meant THREE of the FOUR things on the list above (re: protein). Good luck!
  • bboston04
    Options

I notice that a lot of late. I've been trying my best to scan the barcode on EVERYTHING I eat. All of the information is correct. My blackberry didn't have this function, but my iPhone does. I <3 it. :o)
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't think lack of protien is your problem. It's your calorie intake... I went and took a look at your Diary and you seem to be consistantly 400-650 BELOW your daily goal. Alothough this may seem like a good thing, it actually can put you into starvation mode (killing your metavolism) and be your main cause of your plateau. My suggestion is to eat more and stay as close to your daily goal as possible.

It may sound scary, but there are many people (myself included) that have had to increase their caloric intake in order to break a plateau.