Alternating swimming and the gym?

Options
Hi,

So I've been going to the gym now for 8 weeks and have yet to see a positive change In my weight/shape, which is getting more and more frustrating.

I've been thinking back to when I was 16 (ish) pounds lighter and I wasn't going to the gym but just running everyday for only 15 minutes and If not doing this then I was swimming.
Is it possible that rather than my week looking like this:
Monday: gym
Wednesday: gym
Friday: gym
I could alternate the gym with swimming, so it would look more like this:
Week 1:
Monday: swimming
Wednesday: gym
Friday:swimming

Week 2:
Monday: gym
Wednesday: swimming
Friday: gym

Sorry for the very long thread but I'm getting sick and tired of feeling like Im working really hard and watching what I eat, just to look the same, if not bigger! :(

Thanks,
Lou

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    what are you doing while at the gym? cardio only or strength training too? I think swimming is great exercise (I"m a former swimmer), but I think you'll see changes in your body that you want to see if you start lifting some weights - if you aren't already.
  • xLouYoungx
    Options
    Yeah, I do 25 mins of cardiovascular then about 35/40 mins of weights.

Thanks
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would say this would be a good thing. My schedule used to look like that (with swimming) and I lost a lot of weight as a result. It must be the combination of cardio and strength.

My old schedule changed to just gym gym gym and my weight stagnated, but now I have;

Mon: Gym
    Tue: Spin
    Wed: Rugby
    Thur: die slightly
    Fri: Spin

Besides that, I actually eat more than when I just went to the gym and still lost more weight.
  • xLouYoungx
    Options
    That's great, thanks a lot. I love swimming too, so it would be nice to change things a little.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do 25 mins of cardiovascular then about 35/40 mins of weights.

Thanks

Which are you doing first? I'd try switching. If you do cardio first, start with weights. If you do weights, try starting with cardio. You might be "stuck" and need to shake things up. Also, It's been thrown around that 30 minutes or more of cardio is helpful.... but don't ask me. I mostly do weights and a few days a week remember to shuck my buns and do some cardio :wink:

If you don't like long times of "regular" cardio, some serious swimming really MIGHT be the way to go.

Either way, Best of Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • xLouYoungx
    Options
    Yeah I was doing cardio first so ill switch it around and swim too.

:-)