swimming for weightloss

Options
Does it work?

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Only if used to create a calorie deficit.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling I'm being really thick here, but can you explain?
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love swimming, and it burns plenty of calories. My problem, shared by many, is that swimming also makes me ravenous. This means I have trouble losing weight when doing swimming as a substantial chunk of my cardio. I end up eating what I burn and then some or I feel miserable.
  • bmonagle
    bmonagle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 times a week 30 - 45 minutes I use the kick board for 10 to 15 minutes great for the belly Hydrate befoe swimming
    I think there is confusion between thirst and hunger if I dont hydrate before swimming I also have a chobani yogurt before swimming
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 times a week 30 - 45 minutes I use the kick board for 10 to 15 minutes great for the belly Hydrate befoe swimming
    I think there is confusion between thirst and hunger if I dont hydrate before swimming I also have a chobani yogurt before swimming

This may sometimes be the case, but what I experience is hunger despite being very well hydrated and drinking plenty of water after swimming. There is some debate about a few specifics, but here is a scientific explanation for why swimming can trigger hunger:
    ". Swimming has been shown to induce changes in the hormones involved in suppressing or triggering hunger and appetite, making the swimmer feel extremely hungry after a water workout. After swimming, there are low levels of leptin (an appetite-suppressing hormone) and high levels of ghrelin (an appetite-enhancing hormone) circulating throughout the body; this hormonal imbalance causes the sensation of hunger."

More information and detail is here: http://www-scf.usc.edu/~uscience/exercise_science.html Scroll down to the section titled "Weight Loss"