HRM and Kilograms ( HELP)

So I had to reset my heart monitor to Kg from lbs, I looked it up online and at 136ibs I'm 62kg. Today I did Bob Harper's Super strength, it's an hour long and you do a lot of weight work and some cardio. My heart rate monitor said I only burned 272 cal. It doesn't seem right but I'm not sure . Am I just not working out hard enough or is is normal to burn lower calories with a weight heavy work out? I can't help but be really disappointed with that number.

Replies

• ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    I was very disappointed when I first got my HRM as well. My zumba instructor had told me we were burning somewhere between 600-1000 calories every hour. However, even when I was working very hard, my HRM said I was only burning around 400 calories an hour. I believe the HRM though (deficits calculated with the HRM match up with my weight loss).
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    It's probably right. If you keep track of what your average heart rate runs and your Max you'll start to have a better idea of what'll equal a higher calorie burn etc. I'm 137 and run a heart rate of 167-180 running for 40 min and burn 450ish calories. You'll burn more if your heart is elevated for a longer amount of time. Weight training is more of an anaerobic activity so your heart isn't working as hard as it would doing aerobic activity.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    I know it is discouraging when you work really hard and your hrm stays stubbornly below what you want for calorie burn. Cardio increases burn, and weight training while excellent for your body does not maintain an increased heart rate. You also are a small girl and the smaller you are, the less you burn on a workout. 272 is still a great burn and you should be proud of it.
    I know when I started using my hrm, I was shocked at the difference my burn was on it compared to mfp info. I now am okay with it because I know I need an accurate calculation to have good results on my fitness journey. Today I rode my bike for 54 minutes, my commute is a little hilly, I burned 580 according to my hrm.