Getting fit alone

Options
Hi! Is there anyone who's a little embarrassed to go walking or jogging by themselves and therefore is stuck to doing exercises at home? I am and I actually wanna go beyond my yard lol

Replies

• robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey! there is absolutely no shame in exercising alone! i love to do it. just get some music and GO. for me, i don't walk or jog out outside because where i live i'll be walking/running on roads with heavy vehicular traffic. i go gyms and when i'm by myself i find group classes are perfect. you just blend in after the 1st or 2nd class. and even the walking/running, if you go regularly and around the same times then you might meet the same people and a passing smile will become a 'hi'.

go for it girl!! have no fear!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym by myself. I actually think I'd make a terrible workout partner. I just put on my headphones and crank up the volume and go to it. I also enjoy the group classes (and I'm not always the most uncoordinated one there! LOL. Just go out there and have fun.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Make sure you are in an area where you feel safe and get out there. You might feel more comfortable walking at first, and I'll bet that once you get out on the street (or park or lake or beach or desert or suburbs or wherever else is near you) you'll see lots of other people exercising too.

My experience is that most people don't even notice you and if they do, they'll usually smile or say hello. And if they don't, it's probably because you've just made them think "damn, I should be doing some exercise like that girl".
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym by myself. I try not to talk to anyone while I'm there if I can help it. It's better that way. People have their opinions and I don't care to listen to them.
  • Keeshaja
    Keeshaja Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes thats me a live in a small town so I like purchased a bike so that I wouldnt have to go walking outdoors ....shame I know
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I'd rather work out alone. I'm embarrassed to be with others!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I am hesitant to go walking or running in my neighborhood. I live in a small, rural neighborhood where everyone knows everyone. I'm not a runner so I'm embarrassed to start. I don't want anyone seeing that I can't run more than 50 feet at a time!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    :frown: Yeah I don't like to walk or run by myself either.
    Since joining MFP, I have mostly given up social drinking and now spend most time with my friends through conning them into going on walks with me. :happy:

If none of your friends are in, maybe you can find someone who lives nearby from MFP?
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I used to be. Then one day something in my head literally snapped!

It was July and I was driving by a pool. I was so hot and wanted to go in but I hadn't for years because I was too self conscious. Then I thought about how if all those years ago I hadn't been so self-conscious and just did all those things I loved and stayed active ... well I wouldn't be in the position I'm in today.

So, I went and got a suit and started swimming laps! Then I went and joined a gym and even attended classes. I of course was nervous but I did it anyway. Truth is no one is really paying attention to you. In the gym everyone is focused on their own routines or making sure they don't mess up and everyone is supportive of each other. I have yet to have someone say something rude to me.

Life is far too short, the average person only lives 27,000 days! Don't sit on the side lines watching others live or preventing yourself form being happy and enjoying something. Live for yourself and don't worry about people you will probably never really have to know. And if they are rude people, you don't want to know them, and what does their opinion really matter anyway!

Leave the back yard chica! Just do it!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I also much prefer to workout alone, think this frustrates my husband as he seems to prefer company. I just feel I get more accomplished when I don't spend all my time chatting with people. I did get talked into a boot camp at my gym and I find that much more difficult than just working out along (not coordinated at all). LOL

I agree with the others, just get out there and do it if that is something you feel you would enjoy. If you enjoy working out alone at home, that works too. Whatever motivates you, do it. Don't be embarrassed, no one likely cares and if they do, oh well. :)
  • SuperSonz
    SuperSonz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot!! I actually ventured out a day this week and it was different...but at least I did it :)
  • SuperSonz
    SuperSonz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOL! I like your logic! Thanks for your advice! Much love!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 90lbs and over 99% of the exercise I did over that time was solo. I started off exercising at home on the PS3. Added walking. Added DVDs, again at home.

It's only this year that I've ventured out in public. I did c25k (in the dark) and now I run 4 times a week, I cycle and I swim. You just have to bite the bullet and get out there.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I actually rather be alone. It is one of the only times in my day where I can reflect and focus on just me. Just take your MP3 player loaded with your favorite tunes and go!