Cheat Days

Options

Replies

• thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself 1 meal a week to eat what I want. A lot of people don't even log that meal but I do just so I can see where my weekly caloric deficit ends up. If I can work out to allow for the added calories of my meal then I do...sometimes. :)

My vice is fast food so allowing myself a meal a week it helps me curb the craving for the rest of the week. I used to eat out anywhere between 1-3 times a day 5-7 days a week. 1 meal a week is doing pretty well for me. :D
  • wildearthmama
    Options
    My philosophy with cheat days is this: I don't want to be obsessed with food! Whether you're obsessed, eating constantly, and overweight, or obsessed, starving yourself, and super thin, food obsession is unhealthy. I try to make healthy choices, and put myself in situations where I don't want to eat junk. For example, I spend time outside, playing with my kid, knitting, or studying, keeping myself occupied. I keep unhealthy food out of my house, for the most part. I keep busy, and don't let food control my life. However, if my mother-in-law cooks a delicious freaking cake, of course I'm gonna have some! And it's not a cheat day, it's my LIFE! All things in moderation, strive for balance, and you'll be fine. It's an art, not a science, after all!
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well there are some programs that do allow a cheat day. Many years ago I did Body For Life and you were allowed one cheat day per week. When I was on the program I rarely took it because it felt kind of weird to spend the whole week eating clean and then to throw down a whole pizza , or something crazy like that, one day per week.

Personally, I think there will just be certain occassions when I will just cut myself some slack, like during the holidays or when I go on vacations. I am not going to be sitting at Thanksgiving Dinner, or partying with my friends in Vegas, and entering stuff into MFP, that would be a bit much for me.
  • tseabee
    tseabee Posts: 22
    Options
    I think it's ok to have a cheat day once in awhile so the temptation to cheat everyday isn't as strong throughout the process of dieting
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I think that this if this is a lifestyle change then we need to become the controller of our food intake. I don't really like the term 'cheat day' myself. This is life. Some days are going to better than others. Some days are going to be easier than others. Some days we feel strong and in control. Some days...not so much. It is unrealistic to expect yourself to NEVER have an unplanned meal, or a day when you can't get all your fresh fruit and veggies in. If we end up feeling guilty and beat ourselves up about it, then our relationship with food is not where it should be yet. One day is not going to make or break you. It's a cumulative effect. You definitely need to have way more 'in control' days than 'out of control' days', but all in all, one day or two in a month where you go over your calorie goals or eat something 'unhealthy' (I'm thinking deep fried fish and chips here, :) omnomnom.) is not going to derail your entire healthy lifestyle. That's just what I've been thinking lately. I mean, eventually I'm going to get to my goal weight and then I won't be trying to lose anymore. I'll still want to stay healthy and keep up the exercise but I don't want food to take up as much of my life as it does now while I am actually losing. This journey for me is about getting control over the food in my life. Being afraid of a particular food or always being afraid of going over a certain set calorie limit does not seem like control to me. Sorry I went on so long. Thanks for 'listening' if you took the time to get to the end. :flowerforyou:
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in setting myself up with something that is so hard to sustain that I have to "cheat" on myself, it seems counterproductive to me.

Some days I eat more calories than MFP recommends, sometimes I eat pretty close to that number, sometimes I eat less. Which one is "cheating"?

there needs to be a like button :)
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I guess the better question would be, Can you handle a cheat day? Not everyone can.....myself included.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week, I have averaged a 2 lb loss each week too! & I do have a sweet treat once in a while, but it is definitely counted into my daily calories. I even felt like this when I was in weight watchers I had one meal where I was kind of unsure how many points it was worth but I would still have good losses. It has worked for me, but may not for everyone.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days because when I want something I will eat it. I watch my weekly intake more than my daily one. If I want to eat something delicious and fattening and I can fit it in my calories, I will. If I can't fit it in my calories, I'll just eat it anyways and exercise a bit more/eat a bit less for the next day or two.
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    i opted not to have a regular cheat day however when there is an occasion (and they come up and are many) like a birthday, special event, holiday meal ++, special occasion, I give myself a break and enjoy!! The next morning, I try my best to start my goal program of good healthy eating again!! sometimes with a little guilt however try to work through it. Interested in others' thoughts on this.:smile:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat Day's...I believe in balance....if you want something....balance your day around when you will have it...
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote: "Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog." I pretty much eat what I want and stay within my limit.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I have a weekly bonus calorie allowance that I use mostly on the weekend and then spread the remainder of them throughout the rest of the week. My daily average usually ends up around 1300 calories. By having a set amount of weekly bonus calories, I can splurge when i want to but still be at a healthy losing rate. It's the same idea as weight watchers weekly flex points.
  • chairperson
    Options
    "Cheat" and "guilt" are words I try not to associate with food. There is a place in my diet for anything I might want, so if I want to have three slices of pizza for dinner one night, I just track the calories and move on. I'm down about 100 pounds, so it's working well for me.

Exactly this, and everyone else that said something similar.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I think that this if this is a lifestyle change then we need to become the controller of our food intake. I don't really like the term 'cheat day' myself. This is life. Some days are going to better than others. Some days are going to be easier than others. Some days we feel strong and in control. Some days...not so much. It is unrealistic to expect yourself to NEVER have an unplanned meal, or a day when you can't get all your fresh fruit and veggies in. If we end up feeling guilty and beat ourselves up about it, then our relationship with food is not where it should be yet. One day is not going to make or break you. It's a cumulative effect. You definitely need to have way more 'in control' days than 'out of control' days', but all in all, one day or two in a month where you go over your calorie goals or eat something 'unhealthy' (I'm thinking deep fried fish and chips here, :) omnomnom.) is not going to derail your entire healthy lifestyle. That's just what I've been thinking lately. I mean, eventually I'm going to get to my goal weight and then I won't be trying to lose anymore. I'll still want to stay healthy and keep up the exercise but I don't want food to take up as much of my life as it does now while I am actually losing. This journey for me is about getting control over the food in my life. Being afraid of a particular food or always being afraid of going over a certain set calorie limit does not seem like control to me. Sorry I went on so long. Thanks for 'listening' if you took the time to get to the end. :flowerforyou:

Very well said. I don't like the term either. "cheating" implies that you should feel guilty...I dont really think that's a healthy way to look at food.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    no cheat days..I eat what I want in moderation ;)
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know if it helps or not (I haven't been dieting long enough) but I think it would be a nice treat, and I don't think it would hurt anything. (within reason) I keep meaning to have one, then screwing up and eating under my calorie limit.
    I don't even know how that happens, but I guess it's for the best.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    "Cheat" and "guilt" are words I try not to associate with food. There is a place in my diet for anything I might want, so if I want to have three slices of pizza for dinner one night, I just track the calories and move on. I'm down about 100 pounds, so it's working well for me.

This is so spot on for me!!! I hate the phrase "cheat meal".
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options
    The only way I can stay sane and keep with it is if I allow myself to live a little. I don't like to call it cheating.

I've lost 9 lbs. in 3 weeks... I've gone out with friends for drinks a couple of times.. went out to eat... ate chocolate.

There is absolutely no reason to punish yourself.
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    "Cheat" days makes trying to transition into healthy eating habits seem so dirty lol. I try not to go overboard on the amount that I eat. If I'm craving it, I'm eating it in moderation. That works for me anyway...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!