The Great Goal Weight Debate

kimi131
kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
When I started this thing, I thought 125 lbs. sounded like a reasonable goal (I'm 5'0"). As I worked on the weight loss, talked to a few people, checked out BMI, I thought maybe I should aim for 115. BMI says 128 will put me in the "normal" category and I thought 125 would leave me seesawing back and forth.

Now, I'm at 136 lbs after having lost 52 lbs. I feel pretty great. I just bought my first bikini. I like the way it looks on me (though I wouldn't mind firming up, but I'm working on that too). I'm down from a size 12/14 to a size 4 (holy smokes, a 4?!). My parents keep telling me I should stop losing. Some of my colleagues are telling me the same. I know that part of the reason for that (especially with colleagues) is that they're just not used to me this thin.

I'm pretty happy where I'm at now. And still that BMI thing taunts me. I know BMI is definitely not the only go-to source for measuring, but I just don't like the labels it puts on us. I want to be labeled as "normal." But seeing where I am now, I too am starting to think that 115 might be too small. Plus, I'm getting tired of replacing my wardrobe :laugh: .

I guess I don't know what I should be aiming for anymore and the not knowing is driving me crazy. Suggestions welcome.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    If you're feeling good where you are, then why not set a new goal - to maintain at that weight for 6 months and then to re-evaluate.
    Maintaining is a new skill to learn and you can't underestimate the effort that is required - it's just as much work as losing weight, only different calories!
    And if you give it a bit of time, you will be in a better place to decide if this weight is right for you or if you want to drop a bit more.
  • kimi131
    Because I really want the excitement of knowing I hit my goal weight, lol.
  • Continue to work on your toning. As you most likely know, muscle burns fat. So, as you build muscle, you'll start burning more fat. You'll start seeing more muscle definition and drop a few more pounds while you're at it!

Keep up the good work. You look great!

Jody
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    BMI cannot factor in how much muscle you have, so you can weigh more than you look cause of the terrific muscle you have created. Choose a size and stick with that. A heavy man at 250 pounds and a body builder at 250 pounds look completely different, but the BMI will show the same number for both..
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,290 Member
    If you're feeling good where you are, then why not set a new goal - to maintain at that weight for 6 months and then to re-evaluate.
    Maintaining is a new skill to learn and you can't underestimate the effort that is required - it's just as much work as losing weight, only different calories!
    And if you give it a bit of time, you will be in a better place to decide if this weight is right for you or if you want to drop a bit more.

Agree. Your weight range goal has to suit YOU and your doctor. You look very good from what we can see! Just keep after some sort of fitness goal, so you can maintain your desired range.
  • debsocwk
    debsocwk Posts: 121 Member
    BMI cannot factor in how much muscle you have, so you can weigh more than you look cause of the terrific muscle you have created. Choose a size and stick with that. A heavy man at 250 pounds and a body builder at 250 pounds look completely different, but the BMI will show the same number for both..

This is an awesome point. If you are in a size 4 clearly you have muscles and are toned at that size. The BMI is important but not the end all. Maybe you want to look at the percentage of body fat instead of BMI as a guideline for your progress.
  • kimi131
    Bumpity bump