how to get over your caffeine addiction.

Options
2»

Replies

• shawnb2118
    shawnb2118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 3-4 coke zeros a day about a month ago and stopped cold turkey. I haven't had any coffee either and haven't had any headaches or anything. I don't if it is just me but I haven't had any problems. I work out before work so that ussually gives me a lot of energy during the day.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Caffeine isn't bad by itself, but the diet soda is just chemical crap. As for dropping the caffeine, two ways....hard and short or hard and long.

Hard and long....try to ween yourself off it slowly by cutting back quantity or switching to black and then green tea, which are progressively lower in caffeine.

Hard and short....drop it cold turkey. Just stop. Throw it all out of the house and make sure you don't pick up any randomly (fast food, vending machines, etc.). You'll have the headaches for 2-3 days (regular advil or tylenol do not have caffeine, excedrine and others do) and the feel like you're in a fog for several days after the headaches end. After about a week it will all be over and you'll probably end up feeling better than you do now.

Every so often I have to kick coffee and clear my system. I drop it cold turkey and stay off it for a while before giving in and going back to drinking coffee.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    The headache goes away. After about 2 or 3 days you will feel great. I lived on Diet Mt Dew for years (and years) and quit in December or January. I have a soda once in a while but i carry a water bottle with me now.

Last night we went out to eat and i ordered a diet dew (first one since) and i got 2 hours sleep last night. I was totally not tired and it kept me up all night. I didn't realize how much caffeine is in there (or how little i get now).

Funny thing, it really did not taste that good. I was worried i would love it and go back to drinking it.

I think from now on i will order water when we go out to eat (or a glass of wine...yum)
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The one thing I can't break myself of is drinking soda (DIET only though). I know it's horrible for you, it's like... chemicals and whatever but I have a server caffeine addiction. If I don't get any, I get these headaches that are seriously devastating.

I want to stop drinking it, not only as its unhealthy but it's a needless money sink.

So, if you've been in this spot, how did you get past it? What did you do to make the pain less?
    been there done that.. I Gave pop up for lent (in feb) and had about 10 days of NASTY headaches. Just take some tylenol (midol has some caffine in it so thats an option ) and drink lots of water or ice tea. I'm 40 days pop free and havent really missed it. I had a swig of my husbands coke the other day (ew to start with) but it was NASTY and made my stomach hurt!. Just be bigger than your addiction and push through the head aches they eventually go away
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wow! lots of great advice.

I guess I'll just give it a go and deal with the headaches. :)
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i was drinking a few big travel mugs of coffee a day and one day i just put the mug away and that was it. I had rough headaches and terribleness for about 2-3 days and ever since then no headaches. I now sleep better and feel better all day long, getting up in the morning is easier. I drink more water in place of the coffee and my workouts are way better. Caffeine effects everyone differently but well worth the few days of headaches in my case.
  • L33TBl0nde
    L33TBl0nde Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to caffeine as well, but I only get it through black coffee and "Well" bottles :) both has low amount of calories. A cup of coffee is under 2cal...

Ofc it's a problem if you dislike coffee, but then I would really recommend "Vitamin Well Focus".. Has caffein AND taste good.
  • hadlam
    hadlam Posts: 90
    Options
    I'm not sure if it was mind over matter but it worked for me. I was seriously addicted to evergy drinks 2 sometimes 3 a day, I tried to give up heaps of times but got the headaches too. Anyway my brother in law told me to start eating Green Apples (granny smith) daily. Apparently they slowly release caffine into your system and can help with caffine addiction. Now I only have one coffee a day and if I miss that it doesnt affect me. :D Good luck you'll get there.