Protein and Calories

Options
I'm currently starting a weight lifting training program. Should I increase my caloric and protein intake on days I train? I read somewhere to keep it the same? I want to gain muscle, and lose weight. I am 25, weigh 169, am 5'3. According to the BMR thing I found online, I should have an intake of 2,451 calories if I'm really active. Do I follow that? Or is a 2000 calorie diet more beneficial? Thank you for your help.

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Pick which one you want to do? Do you want to gain muscle or lose weight......They are mutually exclusive. That said....BMR is what you burn if you laid in bed all day. TDEE is what you burn every day including BMR + NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) + Exercise activities. If you want to gain muscle eat more than your TDEE and lift heavy......If you want to lose weight eat less than your TDEE and lift heavy.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm currently starting a weight lifting training program. Should I increase my caloric and protein intake on days I train? I read somewhere to keep it the same? I want to gain muscle, and lose weight. I am 25, weigh 169, am 5'3. According to the BMR thing I found online, I should have an intake of 2,451 calories if I'm really active. Do I follow that? Or is a 2000 calorie diet more beneficial? Thank you for your help.

Yeah... you can't do both well at the same time.. As a beginner, you can have some serious strength gains, but not a whole lot of new actual muscle tissue being built. And it becomes even harder when you're a female, and not really obese.

In short, I'd aim for a 1500-1700 calorie diet with at least 100g of protein and about 40g of fats. Fill the rest of your calories with carbs or additional protein or fats.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein intake on your training days as it helps with recovery as well as building muscle, as far as weight loss is concerned...It will take time but can happen.

Muscle weighs more than fat so you'll weigh more initially as you gain, however muscle ALSO burns more calories per pound as well as burns fat, so after you've gained a certain amount of muscle you'll start to see the pounds come off, you'll notice the change in inches first however.

For the protein, eat 10 grams of it no later than 30 minutes after your workout for best results and it doesn't have to be a protein bar or shake, it could be milk or a food naturally high in protein.