Women and Younger Men...

Options
I have always told myself that I would never date a guy younger than me. Well, that changed about 4 weeks ago when I met this guy that I really like. The problem, he is 3 years younger. Now, I know everyone always says you have to date older guys because they mature slower or whatever, but it doesn't seem that way with him. He has his moments. But, I have dated guys years and years older and they have theirs too. I still feel super weird about it, so I am very hesitant. Is there anyone out there dating or married to a younger guy? I need advice. I have no idea what to make of it all.

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    oh hell, my ENTIRE FAMILY is made up up of older women with younger men! my mom is 5 years older than my dad, and for us, that's nothing! younger men are awesome. and hot. :)
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    three years is NOTHING!!! don't even think twice about it. seriously.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That's actually my goal. Be super hot at 35 and start dating the young ones.

But i dated a guy 2 years younger than me earlier this year...he was amazing. It all depends on the person.
    I've also dated my fair share of 40'somethings. Most men annoy me--doesn't matter what the age.

So if you like a guy--unless he's jailbait--GO FOR IT!!
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I say...Who cares about age!!! 3 out of the 7 guys I have dated have all been younger than me. AND as far as maturity goes... I know men older than me that act like 5 year olds. Go with your heart! If you really like this guy...go for it!

The guy I've been sort of seeing right now is almost 4 years younger than me...
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    I had never dated anyone younger than me either until my current boyfriend [ he just turned 21 in January and I'll be 25 this September ].

He is the most amazing boyfriend ever! I've always dated older guys [ anywhere between 28-38 ] and my current boyfriend is far more mature, learned, polite, funny, energetic, open minded etc, etc, etc than the rest have been.
    I was always [ and ignorantly ] under the impression that younger guys would always be harder to tolerate than older ones in a relationship but I'm finding it's very much the opposite. I may have just got lucky with mine but it has truly been awesome!

I reckon you won't even notice the age if things continue to go as well as they have been.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Generalising maturity based on age is ridiculous. There are plenty of mature 20year olds that outstrip many 50year olds in terms of how 'grown up' they are.

Judge people as individuals and decide based on that.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    What you should worry about is his mental state and commitment in certain things. Age can't tell that at most of the times. (Also 3 years there's nothing to worry about in my opinion)
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I had always dated older guys until my current boyfriend. He's 4 years younger than I am. We've been together for 2.5 years and just recently moved in together. The only "problem" we had was before he was 21 and we wanted to go out... since then - no issues. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the time together.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My guy is four years younger than me and we have been together for over 13 years now. The older ones or the ones my age just....well they never seem to know what they want or they were too set in there ways.
  • kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    train em while their young is my motto haha jk, but that being said I am about 2 years older then my bf :)
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It's three years, unless you're a teenager, that's not a big difference. Everyone matures at different rates, too, so if it feels like a good fit, go for it.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Three years isn't anything at all. Now if you're talking 13 years, that's different. I have a co-worker who married someone nearly 15 years older. There's a whole generation gap between them.

Enjoy dating the slightly younger man! ;-)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    My husband is 2 months younger than me :)

Don't worry about the age. A few years is nothing. My last boyfriend was 20+ years older. We lasted 6 years and he's still a dear friend. Age does matter in some ways, but it's not everything.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It's only 3 years. :) My previous boyfriends, each of 1 year, were 6 and 9 years older than me, consecutively. The first desperately had to go find himself (and a wife, though he did not succeed) in South America. The second completely baulked at the idea of driving me to work and getting my groceries after I had had surgery. These were 29 and 35 year old MEN behaving like teenage boys.

If he is nice and caring and capable of behaving like a considerate adult in a relationship, keep him around. :D
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    age is just a number, you could find an older man who acts like a teenager yet find a younger man who is mature and responsible - don't put an age limit on something that may turn out to be the best thing you have ever done - don't look at the age difference look at your compatibility in other things
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I want me a cougar.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have always told myself that I would never date a guy younger than me. Well, that changed about 4 weeks ago when I met this guy that I really like. The problem, he is 3 years younger. Now, I know everyone always says you have to date older guys because they mature slower or whatever, but it doesn't seem that way with him. He has his moments. But, I have dated guys years and years older and they have theirs too. I still feel super weird about it, so I am very hesitant. Is there anyone out there dating or married to a younger guy? I need advice. I have no idea what to make of it all.

Assuming he's legal go for it.

Maturational age has pretty much nothing to do with chronological age.

by the way - I lived for 17 years with a man 11 yrs my senior, and am now living with a man 4 years my junior. How can your situation (3 year gap) be any worse than my 11 year gap? Nobody thought twice about it.

:D Do what you like. If anyone complains tell them they need to live their own lives, cos yours is already taken. :D
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am 10 years older than my husband and we get along just fine. His lust for life and energy are what keep me going.

If you like him, forget about the age difference.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup, three years is just fine... if you get to around a 10 year gap then you're dealing with being a slightly different generation to your partner, but still, it's not necessarily a make or break thing for the relationship.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Unless he is still a minor or some such douchery, who cares!
    My husband is about a year and a half younger, once you are out of those lovely awkward teenage years, age really is just a number. I know some 50 year olds who act like they are 18, and some 18 year olds who act like they are 50.