Coke Zero

Options
Can anyone enliggten me on the down side of drinking coke zero when it comes to weight loss? I know it has negligible nutritional value but has it any determental effects?

Replies

• isweatglitter
    Options
    Not really sure, but I have heard that it is worse than regular coke.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same. I think it's time to start drinking beer at lunch time too :). I have no trouble with 8+ glass of water but like a bit of flavour and bubbles in the middle of the day.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Can anyone enliggten me on the down side of drinking coke zero when it comes to weight loss? I know it has negligible nutritional value but has it any determental effects?

there are studies that show diet sodas(which is basically what coke zero is) have a negative affect on your body. Look it up. They are not healthy to drink if you're wandering. But if your concerned with sugar they are probably better then regular sodas.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I've also heard a lot claims about it. I don't know the validity of them but all I can say is I've never noticed it preventing me from losing weight when I wanted to.

Your right though, it is pretty much worthless from a nutrional point of view.
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I bought a twelve pack of sparkling water last week with a touch of lime. It gave me the carbonated drink with no calories.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    "I bought a twelve pack of sparkling water last week with a touch of lime. It gave me the carbonated drink with no calories. "

That's a great idea. I think there will be certain amount of weaning that will have to happen too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The possible down sides that I can recall are damage to your teeth and bones (though I think you'd have to drink a lot before you ended up losing calcium from your bones). Plus I'm sure I've read something about your body being fooled by the artificial sweeteners and... I can't remember the details, but I'm sure you'll find a lot online.

In general, if you like them and its keeping you from eating/drinking other unhealthy options they're probably OK. In the longer term though, I tend to think that it's a much better habit to get used to drinking water as your main drink and enjoying a soft drink (diet or regular, and I'd also include juice here) or alcoholic drink as an occasional treat.
    A SOMETIMES FOOD as the cookie monster would say.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I buy sparkling water and put either fresh oj in it or no added sugar squash, depending on my calories that day. That way, it still counts as water and you can make it taste like pretty much anything you want
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend anything with artificial sweeteners. I think it uses Splenda (chlorinated sugar). Not only has it been linked to weight gain, it causes a myriad of other health issues. It is bleach and sugar, ultimately....
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    If you just want 'fizzy', try squash with sparkilng water :-)
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I bought a twelve pack of sparkling water last week with a touch of lime. It gave me the carbonated drink with no calories.

I LOVE that stuff!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There are none. Not scientifically, anyway. Unless of course, you have an allergy to aspartame, but if you aren't allergic, 60 years of real research has not been able to show any health detriments to consuming aspartame. There are a LOT of myths and misinformation out there about it, though.

Bottom line, drink it if you want, don't drink it if you don't want. I see it like peanuts, millions of people are deathly allergic to peanuts, but I'm not, so they aren't bad for me. Aspartame is the same way.
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am sure a coke zero here and there won't hurt you. Enjoy your coke zero a few times a week at lunch, just don't drink it all day, every day:)
  • cindylou_21
    Options
    Try selzer water + lemon juice (or any low cal juice). Gives you the fizz you're missing. You could also add a little Stevia.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Soda whether diet or not is bad for you. Diet soda in particular.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I would not recommend anything with artificial sweeteners. I think it uses Splenda (chlorinated sugar). Not only has it been linked to weight gain, it causes a myriad of other health issues. It is bleach and sugar, ultimately....

Um, chloride is a necessary nutrient for human life. Technically, SALT is just "chlorinated sodium." :huh:

You know where else you find chloride? Just about every vegetable, lettuce, olives, tomatoes, etc... All "chlorinated."
  • tigersword
    Options
    double post
  • Jaloth
    Jaloth Posts: 28
    Options
    I am not sure where you live but I buy President's Choice sparkling fruit juice!! There 4 cans to a case and it costs about $2.99 for a case, sometimes you can get it on sale!!! I love this sparkling juice because it made with fruit so you are getting your fruit!
    All I can say if you want the coke go for the small cans and you will fine!!!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If you consume diet anything, it is best to be done in moderation. Artificial sweeteners are perfectly safe in low quantities.
    Depending on your intake of other sugar-free foods, you could probably have a few a day and be fine.

If you find drinking it causes you to crave actual sugar, then probably not a good idea to drink it.

Flavored sparkling waters generally have many of the same ingredients minus the food coloring.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. I LOVED coke zero but I went cold turkey almost a year ago. I still miss it sometimes. I just couldn't seem to drink it in moderation and I truly believe all those chemicals weren't good for me. If I could have had it once or twice a week I would have happily kept the habit but every time I vowed to do that I made excuses and ended up drinking it every day. So eventually I quit it all together.

If you think it is impacting your weight loss give it up for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If you can't give it up for a few weeks then you might like to think about whether you have a problem (which would have been me).