Still Struggling

Options
have been struggling with controlling my eating so have made a change and decided to aim for 1/5 lb loss a week so my calories are higher for the day once I have that under control will then reduce calories down to lose 1lb a week - have over 100 lbs to lose in total but am breaking this down to 10lbs at a time - decided this is going to be a long journey for me and need to find something that will help me achieve it in the long run rather than try to do something that I struggle with and eventually give up on.

does anyone else find they lack willpower after a few weeks

Replies

• Jph6701
    Jph6701 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Everyone has off times, trust me I know. You should add in short term goals as well as the long term ones. I also told myself from the start that it's going to have ups and downs and not to get to discouraged I remind my self this on a weekly basis to keep things fresh in my mind Seems to have helped me perosnaly.

And remeber it's not just about weight loss it's inches and healthy living also.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thank you - I feel like I have been on and off a diet for 20 years and want this to be the last time I struggle with weight - you make a good point about becoming healthy rather than looking completely at weight loss
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I'm fairly new here and also have a lot of weight to lose - I am working hard to stay on track and find that filling in my meals actually helps me to concentrate on staying on track! I understand you working on 10lbs at a time, I work towards losing another stone as my targets. I have to admit that I do feel more motivated this time (been dieting over half a century) and my motto is not to give up - again..... I don't want to be a failure, I want to succeed!!

I do hope you manage to stay on track, I don't think it matters how, as long at it works for you xx
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    hi, i'v got the same amount of weight to lose as you so your not alone, and like you i'v tried for so long so i'm an expert on what doesn't work for me. on the positive side this is the first time i feel i'm not on an impossible to stick to diet that i can only do for a short time. personally i treat myself for every 7lbs lost, so far some fake tan and perfume. i think it's only natural to struggle after a few weeks, especially as i know i'v got a long way to go. i would encourage you to log everything, you don't have to keep your diary open so only you can see what you'v eaten, even if it's bad or you go over because your eating habits will change & keep reading the topic posted in here, i'v found then really encouraging. hope that helps and best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    Thank you - everyone is so supportive and helpful - am not giving up anymore will have a few blips along the way but will achieve it
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have been on MFP since Jan as well, however, I have had overweight problems since my first child in 1977. I have lost very little weight, but am trying to look beyond that and just eat the right things. Maybe at some point I will get off the cholesterol meds. That is one of my goals. :tongue: I have days that I do not eat right, but get back on the horse the next day and ride it again. I think my biggest problem is that I do not eat enough. I am trying to work that issue as well, but I find it hard to eat so much if I eat well. Just hang in there and do not give up!
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have found that the longer I can eat better the less I want to cheat. Also looking at it as a lifestyle change and not just a diet may help you to stay on track. I have only changed one thing in my house and that is adding a loaf of wheat bread for me to eat from. I also measure my food out by the suggested serving on the package. This has really helped because I eat fast- I cannot break the habit- so I stop and wait for my family to finish before I add ANYTHING to my plate. I lost the first 15 lbs on just those things before I started any kind of exercise. Hope that helps some!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I Lost 100 Lbs in 9 months, then 8 lbs in the next 6 months, I was at 108 lbs lost. Then the scale stopped moving ......I lost motivation and put 20 lbs back on. My point is that it is easy to lose motivation when you are not seeing results. Exercise is 80% of the battle and diet 20% in my opinion. As long as you get to that gym you will see results. Start off slow and increase a hair more every time you go. Than you will increase your stamina. Good Luck you can do it!!!:happy:
  • Lollypops44
    Lollypops44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a classic serial dieter and although I lost lots of weight a couple of years back, half of it crept on due to health issues and slipping back into bad eating habits. I've realised that I need to focus on the day to day and long term. I have a good amount to lose but hope that by not over stressing about every bite that I will get there and be healthier and in better shape to maintain for the long-haul.

Good luck and stick with it. :smile:
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yeah, willpower isn't my strong point and I have trouble with moderation when it comes to certain foods. This why I have a list of things that CANNOT be in my house:

Any sort of cakes
    Biscuits
    Bread and cheese at the same time (I can have one but if I have both I'm likely to go mental with cheese on toast)

I find if I don't have them in the house I'm fine, but if I know they're in the cupboard I can eat a whole pack no problem. Sometimes it's best to just avoid certain things altogether, for me anyway.
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    yeah there are certain foods that if I buy them I will eat the whole packet - cakes and chocolate are the worst - so have stopped buying the ones I would eat and go to the shop when my son wants something so that I don't have them in the house to tempt me
  • macnikki72
    Options
    Forget the weight number, it will drive you crazy. take it one day at a time, stay within the calories you set for yourself and get in some kind of movement, even just a walk. I'm no pro, well I feel like a pro at what doesn't work lol, but it is working this time so set small goals and don't look at the big picture.
  • pmdhardy
    pmdhardy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lose motivation at least once a week.. been on a diet since elementary school.. and it never ends.. but i never stop trying.. I know its hard.. and dieting is no easy especially for me with a giant sweet tooth.. or a mouthful of them i should say.. Just keep trying.. thats all you can do. Dont be too hard on yourself.. which we all are in times.. but just keep thinking positive.. when i have a bad day.. i just eat what i want and get it over with it.. but start fresh the next day and keep moving from there.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you. What is Sustainable. not what you can do for a few days. Try new foods.. and , like you said, certain foods .. just try not to be around them. I never go to a Buffet. When I bake cookies.. they go in the freezer. My family has to go to the freezer to get the cookies...

Remember, it will be slow. Really challenge yourself to count your calories, measure your food and "earn" extra calories by adding excercise. You can DO this :) You ARE stronger than food!!
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    Thanks everyone - it is so supportive on here and always get some good ideas and ways of coping - am definitely going to get busy and work on getting my daily calories right then work towards a new goal while keeping that going
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have so been there! I think we all have. Yesterday as an example, I went way over my but looked at today as another day to get it lined up. Struggles, will power and all that jazz are going to be a part of your roadtrip. Embrace it and know that one day, you will look back at this and say...whew that was not so bad after all.

Feel free to add me and I promise to cheerlead you on!
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Small goals! When I started I had over 150 lbs to lose. That number was so daunting that I knew I would give up if I didn't make it more managable. I set small goals of 20 lbs at a time and in a year I lost 115 lbs! I gained some back while pregnant but I'm getting that off now too. You can do it! If you think of it as a change in your lifestyle instead of a diet, it will help as well.

And don't beat yourself up if you are "bad" at a meal or something. It's just one meal, get back on track for the next one! I used to think "oh, I messed that meal up, I'll start over tomorrow" but that can hurt you!