HRM or Fitbit?

Options
I am trying to figure out what I should invest in - a HRM monitor or a Fitbit. They are a similar price so which will give me a more accurate calculation of fitness and calories burned? I do a wide range of exercise including long walks, running, 30DS, weights, spinning, circuits etc and would like to better understand my daily activity levels and how many calories I am burning.

I like the idea of understanding my sleep patterns and daily activity (which the Fitbit will offer) but also would like to have a better estimate of how many calories I am burning in my work outs (which the HRM will offer).

Has anyone tried both - which did you find more useful? Thanks!

Replies

• takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM, but I want to marry my Fitbit.
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    HRM can be used for all
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

^lol , i love mine too
  • takehimaway
    Options

^lol , i love mine too

I traded a grill for mine, and it is like.. the most important thing I've ever owned.
  • takehimaway
    Options
    HRM can be used for all

As far as I know, HRM can't tell you how long you slept, how many times you woke up, when you went to bed, when you woke up, or what your total sleep time is..
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    HRM can be used for all

As far as I know, HRM can't tell you how long you slept, how many times you woke up, when you went to bed, when you woke up, or what your total sleep time is..

is this important?
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    The Fitbit is a glorified pedometer. With all the different exercises you do,the HRM would be the one you want. :-)
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like my fitbit and it has it's usefulness but the HRM is a better investment for accuracy.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

If I lift weights, us an elliptical, exercise in place does the fit bit do anything for me?

Does it come with a wrist or ankle strap?
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    ive never owned a fitbit but i would be lost without my HRM. since purchacing it ive lost 14lbs as it encourages me to burn just that bit more every time i use it
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I get disheartened when i forget my HRM to the gym... My workouts suck as im not 100% sure what im burning/how hard im pushing myself..
  • kooky_kiz
    kooky_kiz Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    doesn't the fitbit go off heartrate to measure your sleep? so if you wear it on your wrist while exersicing wouldn't that be as accurate as a heartrate monitor?
  • Larry0445
    Options
    Two questions:

If I lift weights, us an elliptical, exercise in place does the fit bit do anything for me?

The answer is NO,to all.
  • takehimaway
    Options
    is this important?

This is extremely important; it is great to know I function just fine on five and a half hours of sleep, versus the eight people say you need.
    Two questions:

Yeah, it counts anything that burns calories. Yes, it has an an ankle strap, but it's 'supposed' to be for sleeping. I wear it on my foot over my sock all the time; it works for me.
    The answer is NO,to all.

Both of your answers are WRONG.
  • Larry0445
    Options
    I have had both,and the fitbit doesn't even come close to tracking as good as a HRM. I belong to an emergency squad,and have checked both with a monitor....trust me,the HRM is best for all around exercising.
  • afrikat
    afrikat Posts: 14
    Options
    Seems like there is a swing towards the HRM.... next question then - can anyone recommend one? I know of the Polar ones, any others that I should look at?
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @afrikat - I think it is important to realize using either of these devices is like fitting everyone in a size 7.5 shoe. The electronics in both devices works on a 'standard software formula' but they will give you you a consistent but not necessarily 100% accurate measure. This has nothing to do with the brand or anything. The only 100% correct way of doing this - is to have your metabolic rate measured ... and that involves $$$$

Personally, my needs are best covered with a HRM (Garmin) with a GPS so I can analyze my run and bike rides. I don't have a footpod for indoor running for my Garmin - but I can get one.

For some the FitBit works - and for others the HRM works - or as my grandfather said - some like the mother and some like the daughter and that way they both got married.

Polar is a good brand and the HRM monitor work with a lot of the HRM's build in to the treadmills. The FT4 seem to be a popular model, but all you really need is a clock, timer, high and average HR. And make sure you stay in the aerobic heart rate zones.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    well I was in the same boat, I finally broke down and got the fitbit, It has not arrived yet but my reasoning was that it is much more portable, I will take it everywhere. I do not want to have a strap across my chest while i am working in the yard or walking in the park or fishing or any of a million activities that you will have your fitbit with you for. I know HRM is much more precise but if you do not use it how precise will it be?
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Both do different things...If you need an accurate heart rate and cals burned...Go for a HRM. If you want steps, stairs climbed, cals burned, activity levels and mileage walked...Go for the Fitbit...Or be greedy like me and just get both..

The Fitbit comes with a wrist strap for monitoring sleep, it can be worn all day and give you a very good indication of exactly when you have been active.

Larry if your stood on the spot but still have a level of movement, then the Fitbit will track it.