water consumption/what counts???

Options
when ithe daily calorie counterasks the amount of water consumed during the day, is this pure water right from the faucet or pure drinking water or can anything not caffeineated be considered in this quantity??
thanks,
martha

Replies

• soon2bemrsott
    Options
    Things that are made with water, like coffee, iced tea, crystal light--not considered water. Only true water (not even seltzer) is considered water, wether from a tap, bottle or where ever
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Any kind of water can work. Decaf herbal tea might be fine too.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that coffee, tea, etc. count for half. so if you have 16 oz of tea, you get credit for 8 oz of water. because the caffeine reduces it.

even so, I only count actual water towards my daily counter...:laugh:
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options
    I know on diets like weight watchers, they only count true water
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I only count water also.
  • lisamgould
    lisamgould Posts: 68
    Options
    I count only true pure water, however, I add a wedge of lemon to my water. The water and the acid from the lemon help to remove the toxins from your body. Also you tend to drink less unhealthy beverages if you know you need to consume more water that day...
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of plain water unless it is hot. I know I am weird. I put a packet of Crystal light green tea honey lemon in a 20 oz bottle of water. I drink three of these a day. I have no problems with dehydration and I count them as my water consumption. I figure it is better than not drinking any water.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help.

Water: How much should you drink every day?
    Water is essential to good health, yet needs vary by individual. These guidelines can help ensure you drink enough fluids.
    By Mayo Clinic staff

How much water should you drink each day? A simple question with no easy answers. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live.

Though no single formula fits everyone, knowing more about your body's need for fluids will help you estimate how much water to drink each day.

Health benefits of water

Functions of water in the body
    Water is your body's principal chemical component, making up, on average, 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water. For example, water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.

Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.

How much water do you need?
    Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

Several approaches attempt to approximate water needs for the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate.

■Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace the lost fluids.
    ■Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Though the approach isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this basic rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
    ■Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.
    Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate.
  • banfathi99
    banfathi99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    this is a quote from Northwestern University

"Water requirements are most effectively met by consumption of plain water or beverages which are > 90% water by volume. Water may also be obtained from solid foods such as fruits and vegetables which have a high water content."

Teas should be over 90% water, as well as juices and sports drinks and Crystal light. You will also get some of your water consuming oranges, cucumber, etc.
  • stamps4fun
    stamps4fun Posts: 33
    Options
    thank you for all the info. it seems like everyone has their own way if figuring their fluid intake.
    i read everything and i think i am doing it ok.
    thanks!