Health Benefits: Dates

Options
Something i've introduced into my diet recently having around 4-6 a day. Thought i would share the useful information. Enjoy!

Benefits of dates ( the fruit )

Dates are a rich source of vitamins – One reason why fresh or dried dates should be a part of your daily diet is because of the variety of vitamins that are present in this fruit. Dried dates contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Niacin and Riboflavin.

Dates contain essential minerals – If you are suffering from an anemic condition, caused by hemoglobin deficiency, it can be easily cured by eating dried dates on daily basis simply because of the high iron content in these fruits. Dates are also rich sources of calcium which help develop stronger teeth and bones, also preventing conditions like rheumatism and arthritis. Other essential minerals present in dates are Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Copper, Manganese and Selenium.

Dates can relieve constipation problems – If you have recurring problems related to your bowel movement, causing constipation or other excretory problems, then you must try eating dates on regular basis. Dates in their dried or fresh forms are very rich in dietary fiber which helps clear the colon and provide bulk to remove the fecal matter. In fact, dates act as mild laxatives. You can soak the dates, as dry fruits, in water for a day, and eat them at night before going to sleep (also drink up the water in which they were soaked) to have clear bowel movement the next morning.

Dates help strengthen muscles – It has been found that dates can help people with a weak heart by strengthening the heart muscles. It is also advised the pregnant women eat fresh or dried dates so that the muscles of the uterus are strengthened for easier delivery. Many body builder eat good amounts of dates prior to a workout, as it provides them with energy and strength to workout longer.

Dates improve your stamina – In certain tradition it’s believed that dates, fresh or dried, help improve your physical stamina as well as libido. Dates are rich in minerals and contain several phytonutrients which are responsible for providing higher strength and stamina in the body.

Dates aid with digestion and stomach health – It has been seen that the antioxidative properties of dried dates can aid in digestion and provide relief from conditions like acidity and heart burn. It can also help provide relief from conditions like stomach ulcers and colitis. It curbs the growth of several pathological organisms in the intestines and aids in the growth of friendly bacteria that help digestion.

Replies

• beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    very informative mate
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    omg dates are one of my guilty pleasures! and i say guilty because i simply cannot eat just a few. my grandma takes pitted dates, slices the middle like a little sweet mini taco and fills it with peanut butter then rolls it in sugar! it tatses like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich all wrapped in sugar! omg sooooo good!!!!! i make sure to only eat them around the holidays cuz i seriously cant control myself with them!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So happy to see you know how to cut & paste.....

http://www.outofstress.com/are-dried-dates-good/

but I do like dates.......(some of the claims are dubious at best)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I just started buying them, and they really are like nature's candy! I'm so happy I picked them up!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Most of the information on here is from cutting and pasting. It doesn't just float into people's heads miraculously and mysteriously. Be nice.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Most of the information on here is from cutting and pasting. It doesn't just float into people's heads miraculously and mysteriously. Be nice.

Yes, but most of the time the people who cut and paste attribute the information to its author rather than passing it off as original thought.

Do that on a term paper and you risk expulsion for academic fraud, do that on a for profit website and you expose the owners to liability for copyright violations.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hand cuff me & put me in jail!

Its up to you whether you read it or not.

(moderator note - It is better to cite your source when copy and pasting)