Dr told me to stop logging :-0

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I went to the drs and was diagnosed with sinusitus (sp?) Given antibiotics and told if I don't get any better in two weeks to go back.

Since then I have had a temperature every day and developed a really sore throat and sores in my mouth (gross I know). So today I went back to see him again and he says he thinks I've got a second viral infection and the start of tonsillitus (sp?) He also asked if I've lost weight (think he noticed my notes had about me being obese and I'm not now) and so I told him is been calorie counting and he told me to stop as I seem run down so probably not getting enough vitamins ect!

Anyway I don't think I can stop logging my food so I've switched my goal to maintenance for the moment and I'm going to concentrate on eating healthier as for the last couple of weeks I've been eating what tastes ok (which isn't much).

So my question to all of you is do you really think I could be worse off vitamin and mineral wise than i was when I was obese? It doesn't make any sence.
    You didn't say if you were exercising or not. If you are, then stop for now. Exercise compromises your immune system temporarily, but if your ill, it's enough to slow your recovery time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    When you're sick your body needs more things to fight off the illness. I know when I'm really sick (not, like, a cold, but *sick*) I kind of stop logging and just eat what my body is telling me to eat. It doesn't seem to affect me long term (in fact, I typically lose weight when I'm sick simply because I don't eat as much, even though I'm not eating as well as I normally do).

My personal opinion is to do what the doctor suggests until you're feeling better and then get back on track.
  • bhisken
    bhisken Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just a tid bit for the vitamin problem. Get a multi vitamin. I can't take adult vitamins so I do 2 Flintstones every day. I found it helped so much that I can tell when I forget them.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When you eat alot, you get your vitamins but if you stop eating as much and its crap then you dont get as much vitamins. Go to GNC and grab a multi vitamin with minerals and eat healthy food and you will get all you need.
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For one your dr. should have checked your vitamin levels if he thinks that. He should have done blood work. Multi-vitamins are good but they do lack some of the nutrition that your body needs. I would seek another dr.'s advice and get them to do some bloodwork.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I went to the drs and was diagnosed with sinusitus (sp?) Given antibiotics and told if I don't get any better in two weeks to go back.

Since then I have had a temperature every day and developed a really sore throat and sores in my mouth (gross I know). So today I went back to see him again and he says he thinks I've got a second viral infection and the start of tonsillitus (sp?) He also asked if I've lost weight (think he noticed my notes had about me being obese and I'm not now) and so I told him is been calorie counting and he told me to stop as I seem run down so probably not getting enough vitamins ect!

Anyway I don't think I can stop logging my food so I've switched my goal to maintenance for the moment and I'm going to concentrate on eating healthier as for the last couple of weeks I've been eating what tastes ok (which isn't much).

So my question to all of you is do you really think I could be worse off vitamin and mineral wise than i was when I was obese? It doesn't make any sence.
    He should have done a blood draw and had complete blood work done. He can check all your levels to see if you are deficient in anything. He should have done that before he told you to stop logging. Sounds like you have a good plan though. Switch to maintain, eat better, drink lots of water and take a multivitamin until you feel better. I'd go back though and get my blood drawn first just to see if I was deficient in something. I'm low on iron ad vitamin d. Would not know that w/o blood work.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You have a SECOND infection and he says you're run down because of your diet? Lol! Ummm, sounds like you're sick. Could that be why you're run down? Hmmm...Logging is the best way to make sure you're getting the proper nutrients. Not logging is guess work. I would keep up the great work!
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    Go buy a whole chicken and a bunch of vegetables and make some homemade chicken and vegetable soup. This will make you feel better and provide some needed nutrients to your diet. You need some homemade, real foods (prepared the healthy way) to boost your immune system.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    You know, I think most GPs get around half a day of nutrition training, just the basics, so unless your doctor is a trained nutrionalist, i'm not sure he/she is qualified to comment, especially if they didnt do a vitamin/mineral analysis. Best bet is to eat some good old fresh fruit and veg :)

Best. Advice. Ever.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You know, I think most GPs get around half a day of nutrition training, just the basics, so unless your doctor is a trained nutrionalist, i'm not sure he/she is qualified to comment, especially if they didnt do a vitamin/mineral analysis. Best bet is to eat some good old fresh fruit and veg :)

This exactly

MFP is a good tool, but it is a great idea to talk to a nutritionist so that you can use it effectively.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think what your doctor might be concerned with is that when you are sick your metabolism changes and you burn calories differently and quickly so he/she may be concerned that you will become debilitated by trying to loose weight while you are ill. I see no reason to stop logging and keeping track but be aware that what works for you when you are not sick changes when you are ill. For instance, I once had pneumonia with high fevers and lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks just laying in bed so that is likely your doctors concern. My son had the same pneumonia and developed mono and severe canker sores in his mouth and esophagus and because of that had trouble eating. He also lost a lot of weight. So, that being said, if you are able to eat normally and maintain your current weight you should be fine. Logging what you eat is not going to change anything but be careful that you do not loose too much weight at one time.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should be logging your sodium and sugar. Looking through the last week of your diary you're consuming A LOT of refined sugar from candies and desserts. You need more fresh fruits and vegetables and your snacks should be healthy, not sweets.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    From a different viewpoint:

As a nurse, I know that doctors often do not want to tell patients the truth. Although you may not be getting all your vitamins, could it possibly be that the antibiotic was not the right one for the bacteria that you had? Additionally, if you had a virus, antibiotics will not work. So could he have misdiagnosed what you actually had and is making excuses? That's possible.

Most Americans are deficient on one vitamin that is really needed in order to keep the immune system healthy. That vitamin is Vitamin D.

Now I know that you are thinking, "Why would I be lacking Vitamin D when I spend time outside and drink fortified milk?"

The answer is that Americans use a lot of sunblock and often wear sunglasses, which prevent the necessary absorption from taking place. Maybe even a hat. We have been scared into doing so, treating the sun like it is an arch enemy. I rarely, if ever, wear sunblock. I have not had a cold in 10 years. I supplement with vitamin D like crazy because I know that, without supplementation, I would be deficient in this vitamin. (I have an absorption issue) Since I have started supplementing I have not been sick. Even my asthma has gotten better. Off the inhalers completely.

You can have tests run to see if you are actually deficient in vitamins or minerals. I would suggest asking the doctor to run those tests. That way you will not be throwing your money away on supplementing when you don't need to do so.

You can also get a nutrition consult. Doctors get very little in education when it comes to nutrition. Same for nurses. They get the basics and then are cut loose. If the doctor or nurse doesn't read more about nutrition, they lack the information you will need to understand any nutritional deficiency. So ask for a nutrition consult and take copies of your journal with you.

1) Doctors can order a bacterial culture which will cost you more and do nothing, or give you 10 days of antibiotics for 5 bucks and hope it goes away for you. As a person volunteering at a health clinic for the uninsured, every dollar counts for every patient. So I don't know what your doctor was trying to do, but that's the most common thing being done.

2) American's weren't deficient on Vitamin D until they changed the requirements for Vitamin D in recent years. Because they realized they set the dosage too low. So you weren't 'deficient' by medical standards a decade or two ago but now they know better and have changed their limit.

3) There is an increasing trend of Vitamin D overuse and chronic malignancies rising from overuse: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22462359
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22461833

The reason is that Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and unlike Vitamin C that is passed out through urine on a daily basis, Vitamin D is stored in fat tissue until it is burned. You can have vitamin D overdose problems which will lead to chronic liver/kidney problems and bone loss. This is especially important for women who face future bone loss as they age.

3) That being said, a mild dose can help boost youth immune systems:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22405472

You need blood work to determine if you are deficient and a certified clinician to determine if you are insufficient and need to supplement and how much.

-Signed, Future Doctor Of America (Yes, we DO learn nutrition.)
  • debra102011
    Options
    If you are like me and don't get around to your fruit and vegetable quota make a smoothie. They are filling and good for you. Rather than just counting calories pay attention to where your calories are coming from.
    I was a sugar/junk foodaholic and am now getting more nutrients in less calories a day since I started the smoothie diet :).
    You can even add green leafy vegetables to your smoothie just ignore the green color or pretend it is a liquid Easter egg LOL
    Also take a high quality vitamin and mineral supplement daily. As women most of us don't get the right amount of calcium/magnesium for our bones and energy.
    Good Luck and don't give up.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I viewed your diary - I went back to the beginning of March since you said recently you haven't been eating well. You really MUST eat more real food especially more fruits and vegetables. This doesn't mean you need to completely eliminate processed food but you need to cut way back. Processed foods are nutritionally deficient - they are essentially only made of corn and soybeans (processed corn and soybeans at that - look at the ingredient labels) so that's the majority of your diet right now.

I hope you at the least add more fruits and vegetables and consider seeing a nutritionist. Good luck!!
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

True, but you never want to be catabolic when you're healing. I'm not sure it was bad advice...
  • Idabellec
    Idabellec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Food logging should not just be about calorie counting. Start looking at your fiber intake, sodium, and sugar as well. Judging from your diary, you are eating a lot of empty calorie foods, simply because they are lo-cal. This will not sustain you for long. Keep logging your food, but make sure you are seeing the whole balanced picture! My nutritionist gave me this great line, she said your fruits and vegetables are the tools that make the other nutrients work. Without them your proteins and fiber and healthy fats are just sitting there doing nothing.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    honestly, looking at your diary you eat a lot of junk. perhaps focus on veggies and fruits and whole grains for a while...?
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I, also, took a look at your diary and agree that you have probably created a deficiency in some nutrients since you have been eating in the low range consistently for quite a while and most of those calories are not nutrient dense. Before you start taking supplements however, I would ask the doctor to do blood work to pinpoint the nutrients you are lacking. I'm thinking Vitamin A (for fighting viral infections), omega 3 fats, maybe Vitamin D. But definitely I would NOT stop logging! This has helped you lose weight, which I am surprised he did not acknowledge as a boon to your overall health. YAY YOU!!!!! Now it is time to concentrate on adding leafy green vegetables, seeds and nuts to you overall diet and then wait for feedback about the blood work.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all your advice I do eat nuts and seeds I get graze boxes through the post and they are in little pre portioned punets but I always log them under the silly names they give them.

As for vegetables I'm trying to up them I most of which have to come from frozen due to money problems and the fact my other half is not in on this health thing at all and insists on eating loads of crap in huge quantities. So the most I get fresh wise usually is a bit of salad and the occasional stir fry. As for meat he refuses to buy anything like that as its "too expensive". Not that thats any excuse and i have managed to sneak a few more healthy things in this week and I got some eggs for protein. I know I should put my foot down but he always takes it like a personal attack.

The whole Dr thing over here is different I think as I'm in the UK where we get free healthcare so its all about saving money with the drs. Like he didn't give me antibiotics this time as he said I just need to see how I go ect same with blood tests they have to think you need one before you get them.

I really do agree with you all that my diet is awful and has slipped for a while I really didn't realise how much until you all pointed it out just goes to show how easy it is to slip back into old habits.

Thank you again everyone :)