confused? exercise

Options
Is this right? I spent an hour bustin my *kitten* off yesterday At the gym and only burnt 400cals and today went for a walk for an hour and 10mins and burnt 369cals... It just does seem right?

Replies

• Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap? If not then what you are entering on MFP may not be 100% accurate. I finally invested in one and I'm so glad I did. I was actually burning about the same on the treadmill but I did a short work out video one day that MFP calculated as a 250 calorie burn and my HRM said I only burned 150. Quite a difference!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right. It takes a LONG time to burn a significant amount of calories. Makes that donut not so appetizing!
  • crankedtoeleven
    Options
    It's possible, depending on what you were doing at the gym. Walking definately burns lots of calories.
    MFP sometimes gets the calorie count wrong I find... sometimes way to high & other times I question the lack of as well.
    I google alot of exercises to find out what the average calorie burn is... kind of like getting a second opinion.
    Just remember though... 400 calories is still a great amount of burn & you got out there! Don't let the number spoil how you felt after your workout :)
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor.
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap? If not then what you are entering on MFP may not be 100% accurate. I finally invested in one and I'm so glad I did. I was actually burning about the same on the treadmill but I did a short work out video one day that MFP calculated as a 250 calorie burn and my HRM said I only burned 150. Quite a difference!

This is good advice. If you can pick up a heart rate monitor, it will help you track your actual burn a lot more consistently. I've found that on some of my workouts, the heart rate monitor and an online estimate can be pretty far off, some times as much as 200 calories.