Low Iron - looking for advice

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
Went to the doc yesterday for some routine stuff, but ended up loaded down with daily "preventative" things to take. Bleh. One big problem is my iron. I'm anemic, and so she wants me to take a supplement. I hate taking pills. So she said if I could manage to eat more iron rich foods I don't have to take the supplement. I wondered if anyone had some good ideas about iron rich foods I can add to my diet. Also I need to increase my protein, so foods that will boost both is a plus!

Google is great, but I prefer asking for real world advice when I can. Thanks.

Replies

• Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    im anemic too and started taking a prenatal vitamin everyday-i know you hate pills, and no, I am not pregnant but I had them left over so I figured I'd use them up-and I have to tell you that it has made a WHOLE world of difference in my energy level! I would strongly consider adding a vitamin, I tried through food and never got enough!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I think spinach is a good one..maybe more fresh salads, or dishes that use spinach & feta type fillings?
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that you want to go natural way. The more natural, the better it is.
    Dark green leafy vegetables e.g. spinach would be my starting point, followed by beans and nuts.

You might find this link quite helpful though.. It also tells you what foods would make it harder for your body to absorb iron.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Treatment.aspx
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Red meat's the classic, and high-protein as well.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Red meat and green leafy vegetables have a lot of iron, but a good trick is to eat those along with vitamin c (orange juice, tomatoes, etc). The vitamin C natually helps your body absorb more of the iron from the food. This is a trick I picked up from the American Red Cross. I am not anemic, but my iron levels are sometimes not high enough to donate blood, so they offered this up as a tip to use prior to donations.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Red meat and green leafy vegetables have a lot of iron, but a good trick is to eat those along with vitamin c (orange juice, tomatoes, etc). The vitamin C natually helps your body absorb more of the iron from the food. This is a trick I picked up from the American Red Cross. I am not anemic, but my iron levels are sometimes not high enough to donate blood, so they offered this up as a tip to use prior to donations.

Yes, she had me pick up some Vitamin C as well for that very reason. I'm just hoping to do as much of this naturally as I can. I'll take the supplement for now, but working towards changing my diet too!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You can buy iron supplements by the pound down at the Home Depot.
    common_nailswire_nailsiron_nails.jpg
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    steak....steak....steak....steak....
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've had to take iron pills before as well, and I hate them! There are a few natural things you can try that are gentler on your GI system.
    Floradix--available at health food stores or you can order it online.
    Chlorophyll--a bit less expensive than the Floradix. I got drops and added them to whatever I was drinking.
    Stinging nettle--you can order the dried leaf and drink it as a tea or infusion. It's the least expensive of the three, high in just about every nutritent your body needs. But some people don't like the taste (it tastes very..."green"). When I was pregnant, I would mix it 1:1 with oatstraw (also nutrient dense) because oatstraw has a mild, pleasant taste. Honey or stevia can also make it more palateable.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    You can buy iron supplements by the pound down at the Home Depot.

Yes but that might cause me to jingle when I walk. And I'm training to be a ninja, so noisy things won't help.

Thanks for playing.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    spinach and liver
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use a cast-iron frying pan and teapot. When I gave blood I was told that my iron levels were really good. And steak also :drinker:
  • lorierin22
    Options

Yes, she had me pick up some Vitamin C as well for that very reason. I'm just hoping to do as much of this naturally as I can. I'll take the supplement for now, but working towards changing my diet too!

Check out American Red Cross website. They have a great list of foods with iron and with vitamin C. You can eat these combos and try to do it through food alone. Good luck!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Your doctor told you to increase iron rich foods but didn't tell what foods were rich in iron??

Meat is a good source and will give you the protein you want as well. Dried beans are also a good source and have protein. Most dark leafy greens are high in iron, but not protein.

Cereals are usually iron fortified so they are a good source.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I deal with anemia as well, you definitely need the vitamin C to help absorb the iron and as far as food, lean red meats and organ meats (Liver), leafy greens, beets, artichokes, dates, plums raisins, molasses. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
  • SAMSON25
    SAMSON25 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Like others have said: leafy greens (spinach) fish (tuna, sardines) meats (red meat, livers).

But an easy one is Cheerios! 1 cup = 100 cals and about 50% DV Iron

I was looking to up my iron intake a while back, and a handful of cheerios in the morning was an easy solution
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Your doctor told you to increase iron rich foods but didn't tell what foods were rich in iron??

Meat is a good source and will give you the protein you want as well. Dried beans are also a good source and have protein. Most dark leafy greens are high in iron, but not protein.

Cereals are usually iron fortified so they are a good source.

She listed a few things, but wasn't as forthcoming as I would have liked. Partially my fault, I went on my lunch hour and was in a rush. :facepalm: But as I started thinking about it more last night I realized I don't want to HAVE to take pills if I can find another way.
    But an easy one is Cheerios! 1 cup = 100 cals and about 50% DV Iron

I was looking to up my iron intake a while back, and a handful of cheerios in the morning was an easy solution

Oh, good one, thank you.
  • lorierin22
    Options
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods

Here you go....this list has like 50 things on it from all major food groups!
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    a couple other ones I found surprising was cream of wheat, and black strap molasses. I found iron pills to be super constipating, so you may want to up your fiber or take some metamucil or something if you're going that route. Also try avoiding milk/ dairy within an hour of iron. Good Luck!
  • tracylelak
    Options
    blood transfusion! i had one and felt like superwoman afterwards!