How to become a runner.... for dummies (HELP)

Options
2»

Replies

• vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    To summarize what everyone else is saying:
    1. Get good shoes.
    2. Go slow.

I was never a runner either and here is my story (from my blog, but I pasted it here)

My Love/Hate Relationship with Exercise (from www.busymomofnine.blogspot.com)
    Actually the title of this post is a lie. I don’t have a love/hate relationship with exercise. It’s just pure hatred. I simply do not enjoy any form of exercise. Never have. So I knew this part of the program would be very difficult for me. I didn't do anything for about the first six weeks Rachel started cooking for me. But I knew that to lose weight, diet and exercise go hand-in-hand, so I started walking.

Walking
    I spent about a month just walking. I started at 30 minutes, then slowly increased it to an hour. We have a lot of annoying hills around our house, so the walks included a lot of hills, which made it feel like much more of a workout. After about a month of that, though, I knew it just wasn’t enough and I was getting bored. I thought maybe a change of scenery would help, so I started going to a local lake that has the quarter miles all marked out and makes it easy to track how far you are walking. After doing that for a few weeks, I decided to add an ever-so-slight jog into the mix. I’d walk a quarter mile, then jog a quarter mile, then walk a quarter, then jog a quarter. At first, I couldn’t do more than the two quarters total of jogging (and even then, they were split up with a quarter mile of walking), but I kept at it. I can’t say I really had a goal in mind at the time. It just seemed like a good way to ramp up the workout a bit.

Running
    Then one day, out of nowhere, I ran a half mile straight. I have to admit, I was shocked. I didn’t tell anyone at first because I didn’t want to ever have to repeat it. But it made me curious. I wondered if I could really work up to running, say, a mile. A week later, I did. I stayed at a mile for a couple weeks, then slowly started adding quarters to it. Then I was at two miles straight. As of this week, I’m at 2.5 miles. With this last run, I experienced what I’ve often heard my husband, who is a runner, talk about: the runner’s high. After the first 1.25 miles, I suddenly got this burst of energy. I wasn’t breathing heavy anymore and it felt like I was on a fresh pair of legs. I just kept going. And now I do have a goal: I want to run a 5K.

As an update, I ran a 5K two weeks ago. Here's the blog post:

5K...DONE!
    I feel like a poster child for a “Couch to 5K” commercial! In January I ran my first quarter mile and today I finished a 5K. Wow…just wow. Such a great feeling. I have to admit, I’m already excited for the next race!
    After I ran my first 3-mile run at the lake a couple weeks ago, Rachel started pushing to run the Race for Autism 5K. I was hesitant at first, but after I ran the second 3-mile run, I decided to go for it. I never looked at it as a “race”. I just wanted to run the whole thing. Mentally, I kept telling myself this was no different than going to the lake, as I usually do. It was different though. You could feel the energy from the crowds. It kept me going and made it, dare I say it, fun. It was a bit of a stressful run however, as shortly after I started, I looked down at my iphone arm band, which also holds my car key, and the car key was gone! I was too far to go back and with the crowds behind me, there would have been no way to retrace my exact steps. I just prayed that the key would be in the grass area where we started, or that someone turned it in to a lost and found. With that on my mind, I was a bit distracted, and kept running through different scenarios if I couldn’t find the key. In hindsight, it might have been a good thing, in a really weird way. I was doubly motivated to cross that finish line, as I really wanted to start looking for the stupid key!
    Crossing the 3-mile checkpoint was a definite highlight. The Finish Line was in sight and I wasn’t as exhausted as I thought I’d be. I picked up speed, as everyone does once the Finish Line is in sight, and as I glanced ahead, I saw Rachel waiting for me on the sidelines. That was pretty cool. =) The second I crossed the Finish Line, I went back to where we started, and in God’s good providence, found the key in the grass. It was a bit matted down, clearly being stepped on a few times, but it was there! I don’t think it was until after I picked up the key, that I truly was able to take in the thrill of the moment. I went from “couch to 5K” in two months time. While I really don’t have a desire to increase my distance, I am now setting goals related to time. It would be nice to get to a respectable enough time to be able to run with people. I came in at exactly 12 minute miles. I’m anxious to see how the next race goes!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Go to a running store and have them look at your feet and gate to pick the best shoes for you. Don't just go to a mega store and get the comfy shoes. Have an expert find the ones you need.
    1.A - buy body gluid while you are there - trust me you'll use it

Step 2: Sign up for a 10k, its long enough to be a challenge, but still very doable.

Step 3: Find a training program you like - I recommend any of the Hal Higdon programs on his site.

Step 4: Start slow, if you can afford it get a GPS watch so you can track your speed and not start out too fast. If you can't say a long sentence without huffing and puffing your going too fast.

Above all find what works for you. Good luck and welcome to the addiciton.
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lol - you think you aren't a runner? I wish you guys could see me run! HAHAHAHA! I trip over my own feet/calves/toes - everything. I have NEVER been able to run. It's like I become extremely clumsy. When I was little people would make fun of me! Lol I glide when I walk and you can't do much gliding if you're running. I have had to teach myself to literally pick my feet up off the ground haha. Like physically teach myself to run. Also - I am flat footed too - I recommend the dr. scholls inserts. Can get them at walmart and they are AWESOME! I definitely recommend c25k and runkeeper - just because I like to keep up with my run and fitness and I think it's interesting to map my run on gps! Good luck!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Good shoes is a must, c25k is a great tool and then the hardest part open the door and start running! Just remember its not how fast you go or how far you go if you run your a runner. Good luck and enjoy!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I'm completely flat footed. I had to wear special orthopedic inserts as a child and for most of my life, just walking gave me terrible shin splints. I went out and got a pair of New Balance shoes that have extra arch support and are specially made for people who over pronate (not sure if I worded that correctly but hopefully you understand what i'm saying.) I just completed c25k week 5 day 1 yesterday and i'm looking forward to the rest of the program as well!