When did you start running/jogging?

I'm down 30 lbs but I still don't feel like I'm strong enough to start jogging. Should I push myself? Is there a way to tell when I'm ready? How long should I go?
Right now I'm just walking and I'm doing that about 30-40 minutes a day.

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Honestly, you can jog whenever you feel like. You could probably just try out jogging in your next walk, but going for a slower jog for a few minutes (I would just go with however many minutes feels good to you, like 2-3, something like that), then walking again, then jogging, so you can incorporate it gradually. Though if you get to jogging and find it isn't so bad, as long as you're not sprinting and overdoing it, you really should be fine. :)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 735 Member
    Im down 30 also and started running 2 miles about 3 weeks ago. Walking just didn't seem like it was giving me the cardio burn it did before, so I just tried it and loved it. I have been getting in a run 2-3 times a week. Try it. You'll surprise yourself!
  • melissa44
    melissa44 Posts: 57 Member
    What an inspiration you are :) I have always wished I could run but have been frightened out of my gore lol, Even when I was a avid competitive swimmer and water polo player I always felt like I could not get the breathing coordinated.

I have been hiking on my days off which range between 2 and 5 out of 7 as I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital so I have a long week of working 60 hours and a short week where I only work 24 hours. So I suppose I average about 15 days a month of 2 hours of hiking. In between I have just started doing the Body Revolution work outs before and after work.

We are camping at the beach in our RV for the next two weeks so I will not be doing my DVD's which scares me a bit, but I have my bike, and a elliptigo (check out the website elliptigo.com) it is a massive core work out, like running as it is a stand up bike that you ride like an elliptical machine in the gym but with wheels so you have to stand up and maintain your balance with your core strength and ride which has you huffing and puffing in no time, definitely more like a runners work out and not of that of a bicycle.

I will be wearing my fitbit (fitbit.com) and measuring my daily steps to keep me focused on moving! I am so grateful to my husband who is also on MFP (ckuri69) feel free to friend him :) As he is doing great and has lost 90 pounds using his fitbit, and myfitnesspal. He is on fire! He is up to walking/hiking 15 miles and running about half of those miles :)

Wish me luck because being on vacation can definitely be a struggle diet wise lol especially since we LOVE to cook :) We have been eating really healthy lately and I have grown to love grilled Tilapia (fresh from costco) over my dark green leafy salads with balsamic vinegar and oil :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I was pretty much at my heaviest when I started running - I could barely make it around the block.

The key, for me anyway, was to be consistent (3 x weekly) and progress at a conservative rate. I ran my first 5K in Sept 2009 (just under 40 min) and have worked my way up to half marathon distances.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    You're probably stronger than you think.

The key is to not do Too Much, Too Soon. Otherwise, you'll probably be back here in a couple weeks asking for advice on shin splints /achilles tendonitis.

IMO, 3 easy steps to start running:

1) Find your local running store and get fitted for some running shoes. It's expensive now, but it'll save you in the long run. I get around 400 miles out of my shoes. If you're running around 10 miles a week max one pair will last you almost a year.

2) Google Couch 2 5K and start following that program. It'll take you from your walking to running.

3) Pick a 5K race near you several months out. Run it and love it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    The day you're out walking and think, "You know, I feel ready to give that little extra today" :smile:

I'm sure you've heard lots about C25K, here's a link:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It starts with 60 seconds of running. If that's tough, you might want to just incorporate 30 seconds into your walk, walk until you get your breath back then repeat. You'll be up for C25K in now time.

Here are my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

May I bring to your attention point 1:
    "When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER! "

You can do this, and I hope you'll grow to love it! Come back and tell us how you get on :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I started running when I needed to walk more than 45 minutes to get the calorie burn I was after. I only have so much time I can or want to devote to exercise in a day! I started walking in October of last year and have increased my speed, time, incline, and added hand weight exercises. I do still walk, because I cannot run two days in a row (and by run, I mean C25K run/walk combo). I have noticed though that the running I've been doing over the last month to month and a half has started changing my shape, rather than just helping me get smaller. It was an interesting revelation to me!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    I started running on the treadmill before I hit the pavement. I would walk for a minute and run for 30 sec and before you know it I was running 5 min and walking a minute. Now I'm running 3-4 miles 2-3x's a week and running my 1st 5k this month. Running is great and you will see the pounds melt away quicker. At least that is what happened to me.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 122 Member
    Aternating between running and jogging is always a great way to start! And it will help your speed and endurance to do intervals like that.

And as far as breathing... I use a technique that the fire department taught me... You breath in a half breath on your right foot, breathe in again on your left and then slowly exhale out as your right foot hits again, and your left foot hits again. It's a 4 count cycle.. in, in, ouuuttt. LOL. It tricks your body into thinking it's getting more oxygen, and forces you to control your breathing. You might feel dumb at first, but it's always worked for me! :)
  • Running isn't WHEN you can start, its when do you WANT to start. You can start jogging at any time that you want. It has to be in your head and something you want to do.

I started jogging on the treadmill one day after losing 13 lbs, I was 137 lbs in March 2010. I saw a girl just running away with no problems or being out of breath and I was jealous!! I started slowly. Quarter mile, then break, and a bit more. I kept going longer and longer with minimal breaks and upped it and upped it. Now, a year later, I can run 5 miles straight, no stopping, no heavy breathing and best of all, no inhaler. Running is amazing for me. It increases my endorphins, releases the stress of the day and makes me sleep like a baby! If you had told me a year ago that I'd be running 5K's and longer, I would have told you that you were crazy! Start it and work at it and you will get where you want to be in no time!!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    i started running 2 weeks after i started here. that makes it 6 weeks ago. now i walk/run 8k 3-4 times a week.

anyhow, if you feel confident enough to start running, do small increments. the program i switched to starts out with just 30 seconds running, then 4 1/2 minutes walking, it progresses a little over time, and is supposed to have you running 10k at the end of 13 weeks.

c25k is good too, it's increments seem a bit faster than the plan i am following now, but the training sessions are shorter, about 30 minutes, whereas the 10k program has you out 45-65 minutes each time.

any of these running programs can be adjusted to be a walking program too, if that's what it takes to build up confidence or strength.

you are only answerable to yourself, but having a plan makes it a promise, kind of, that you gave yourself. just don't overdo it, as that is the main cause for injuries etc...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I started running last April, about a month after joining MFP. I had never willingly run before in my life. I run / walk in intervals, usually 3 minutes running and one minute walking and I've now completed two half marathons with this method both in under 2:45.

I'd highly suggest that you look into a beginner's running program like Couch to 2K (C25K). It's a run / walk interval program that slowly builds you up to running a 5K (3.1 miles) in 30 minutes.