Men in the gym

Options
Lifting_chick
Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
So has anyone else noticed how nice all the men are in the free weights area?? All I have to do is go over to a rack or bench and they will give it up. Yesterday 2 guys had the squat rack loaded with weights and then when I walked over to it they asked if I wanted to use it and when I said yes, they took all the weights off and let me have it....i was scared to go to that area to begin with but now well not so much :smile:

Replies

• Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You just gave me hope for starting NROL. lol I am scared of that part of the gym.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that kind of experience, but that is totally awesome! I doubt the frat boys would be so kind... My gym is located among a whole slew of student housing near campus.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    There are still gentlemen in the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Everyone is pretty nice (even girls) at every gym I've ever gone to. The gym scene has changed quite a bit over the years with the iPod. Most everyone is doing there own thing (my experience)!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I think they are great and not intimidating at all.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No one has ever given up their equipment for me, but they let me "work in". Even the dude benching 205lbs while I was doing 75lbs.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS encounter nice guys in the weights area. I think they are just so impressed that a woman is wanting to do the same workouts, they want to see what you've got!

I've gotten a mix of a guy giving up his equipment or letting me work in or whatever...seeeee y'all, the free weight area isn't so scary after all! And sometimes the scenery isn't bad either :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not using the squat rack for curls when I want to squat, I'm a relatively pleasant person.
  • sassy_sparkles
    Options
    I sit on an exercise ball as I do my arm stuff with 8-10 lbs. free weights. I always get confused looks from the frat boy looking weights guys. Nobody bothers me though :-) It makes me work my abs and engage my whole body. I'm usually the only chick who does free weights at my gym. I wish more ladies would value the sculpting and strength building free weights provide.
  • Lifting_chick
    Options
    I know it really surprises me.......the guys always have that mean look while lifting but then they are all really nice.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    yes they are pretty awesome!!
    I asked a guy to watch my free weights for a min while I return another, he just took it out of my hand and here I'll do it for you with a big smile.
    again yes they are pretty awesome!!!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i have had no problems being on the "big boy" side of the gym since starting to lift...i think they actually "admire" me for taking a risk and actually using free weights and pushing myself...or so i like to think.... :wink:
    denise

PS - one night i was able to get like 85lbs on my back to squat (didnt know about the squat rack then LOL) and then i couldnt get it off in between sets....i asked a guy with a major grimace on my face for help and he was more than happy to assist me LOL...he pointed me to the squat rack for future lifts :)
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You have boobs. Sorry to be obvious. jk

Most guys are pretty cool in that area in general. Allowing you to work in...offering a spot... And they are pretty much nonjudgmental, unless you exhibit really, really bad form.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say all the guys at my gym seem pretty nice. None of them seem to care that there are a few of us women doing our thing and they are usually accomendating if we need something.
  • Lifting_chick
    Options
    You have boobs. Sorry to be obvious. jk

:noway: boobs cause men to be nice lol I thought it only caused them to stare and drool jk lol
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Here is the reason...see the thread titled "MEN!!! True or False??"
  • Lifting_chick
    Options
    hahaha saw that thread.......but men and women think about it all the time lol :bigsmile:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    So has anyone else noticed how nice all the men are in the free weights area?? All I have to do is go over to a rack or bench and they will give it up. Yesterday 2 guys had the squat rack loaded with weights and then when I walked over to it they asked if I wanted to use it and when I said yes, they took all the weights off and let me have it....i was scared to go to that area to begin with but now well not so much :smile:

Amazing what lifting in a black and white striped bikini does. haha
  • Lifting_chick
    Options
    Amazing what lifting in a black and white striped bikini does. haha
    [/quote]

Not sure I would be taken to serious if this was my gym attire, I of course wear shorts and a shirt......and the only guys that check me out at the gym are the old men :sad: :sad:
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've encountered a crap load of "MEAT HEADS"!! No offense, but there are only a few nice guys at our gym and the manager actually had to post signs about putting stuff back if you aren't using at that moment because a lot of them having "issues" with "sharing" equipment. It's sad really.