Lost 44 Pounds And Still HATE My Body

Options
How can I have lost 44 pounds, and still look TERRIBLE and feel TERRIBLE about the way I look? In my eyes, I don't look any better than I did 44 pounds ago... :(

Replies

• willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, we never truly see ourselves for what we are and I just looked at your photos- YOU are BEAUTIFUL!!! You should be so very proud of yourself, you look amazing!!!

Sometimes I think us Psychology people beat ourselves up the most, I also have a Psych degree :flowerforyou:
    Seriously though look at how much you have accomplished, not many people at all could have done that. we are all here to motivate and support you- but you really do look awesome.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! You've done great!
    Look at your profile pics, you silly girl!!!!:love:
    You're looking terrific!
    Can't you see the difference? Your clothes HAVE to be fitting better.
    Keep up the good work - & congrats!
    :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Think of the 1st 45 as health pounds, the next 45 will be all about vanity!!

I promise, you will get to a point where you say:noway: is that ME!!

Take your time, and add me as a friend so when you get the WOW moment, you can share it!!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • MissesOfficer
    MissesOfficer Posts: 368
    Options
    Thank you everyone... I hope I soon start to see the difference... when people say "oh my you've lost so much weight in you ___" ie. stomach, legs, bum... my thought isn't "well great!" its.. "god, how bad did I look before if I still look this bad"... ugh it's hard! I guess maybe I'm expecting to see too much in myself too soon. I am currently 198 pounds, and I look at others around that weight, and to me, they seem so much smaller than I am..
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pics and I can tell you have lost weight! And accomplished many other goals. Just remember how long it took to put on the weight, just keep working for your goals and before you know it you wil be there! Remember when you were a freshman how long away graduation seemed?!

Keep at it, you're doing great! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It will take some time to adjust your mental image of your body to reality. You didn't love your body before you got overweight... so it's not going to be an instant thing where you love your body again.

If it helps, look at small parts of your body that you are proud of. Like, for me, even though I'm not quite halfway to my goal weight (which isn't even skinny as an end goal, just healthy) and I am liking how my knees are starting to look. They look like knees. So I focus on the little parts because like you I don't see any difference in me from before unless I break it down into smaller pieces, when I look at my chin, I see a huge difference, etc.

It will take time but just know that your mental image of yourself is WRONG and that you can't listen to yourself when it comes to your body. You have to work on it.
  • korenac
    korenac Posts: 4
    Options
    First things first: Congratulations on such a huge success in your weight loss journey! What an amazing feat!! :happy:

Second, I want to point out to you that regardless of how you actually look, or feel you look, your body is a gift. It functions for you on a daily basis; performing tasks that you never have to conciously think about and most often performing those tasks flawlessly. And when you take care of your gift, like you are doing now, not only you are improving its health and longevity, but you are also showing your body appreciation.

Love your body! Love it even when you do not feel like a 'super model' some days. Because even when you are not taking care of your body, it still does its job... :happy:

Best wishes!

Korena
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful. Always. REMEMBER THAT!!!. I have struggled with weight most of my life and I too, disliked my body. But, when I looked back at pictures and realized that I was unhappy most of the time. I allowed my weight to dictate how I felt, how I interacted, and what I did. This was my excuse. Please don't allow this to be yours. You have has remarkeable progress to this point. You have achieved and exceeded your goals. You can do anything you set your mind to do. Take time to celebrate your success. Get a massage, pedicure, get your hair styled, or write down the things that you are greatful for ( health, schools out, a particular class is over, etc). You are Beautiful at any size, REMEMBER THAT!!!!!!!
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are! Looking at your pics, I can tell you've lost weight!! You do look beautiful :smile: Sometimes, when we loose weight we still see that way over weight person in the mirror! Just try being possitive w/ yourself....seriously, don't put yourself down too much. I did that LOTS, and when I stopped I started feeling better about how I look. Focus on your bestest features!....I always say " I just love my cute bubble butt!" hehehe :flowerforyou: You will get there, it just takes time....keep it up girl you look GREAT!:happy:
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I think you look wonderful, you look like you care, and you should love yourself for the motivation it took you to get to the first 44 down! :flowerforyou: Your face is so lovely, you are bleesed with good looks, you know that?
    People tell you you look great because 1) you look great , 2) they want you to know they see the difference (even if you don't) and it's their way to support you on the way. :heart:
    I have yet find a woman who loves her body for her whole entire lifetime. Girls I regard as stunning will tell me they hate something about the way they look. I'm not different either. As anybody, I have a few spots I almost like .... and a few I don't want to know of. :tongue:
    Don't be hard on yourself, you are healthy, lovable, strong willed. Use the dissapointment for motivation, but look at your life: you have only so many years to be young and vain...it's a shame to spend it beating yourself up.
    When I start to hate my hips (I call them Mickey Mouse ears and expecting Disney to call any day that they want them back...:laugh: ) I think about others: my mom who passed away way to young from breast cancer. My daughter who was born without brain. I still hate my hips on those days....but it reminds me it could be worst.

:flowerforyou: Keep going!
  • Maria061
    Maria061 Posts: 118
    Options
    You had done a very, very good job, to loose 44lbs, that is a nice number. Did You did measurement before You start? I did my number, I can see them going down weight/measuremen and I am very excited..
    Just continue want You had be doing, special if You want to loose more, be strong for Your self.
    Cheer Your self like, have a nice hair cut, nails done ...

Good luck to You, :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • MissesOfficer
    MissesOfficer Posts: 368
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    There was a show on tv that would pick an overweight person to makeover, one of the things that they did was line up other people in thier underwear ,and have the person having the makeover pick out which person that they thought they most resembled.......... As far as I remember they all picked out someone bigger than they actually were. We never see ourselves they way we really are.
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There was a show on tv that would pick an overweight person to makeover, one of the things that they did was line up other people in thier underwear ,and have the person having the makeover pick out which person that they thought they most resembled.......... As far as I remember they all picked out someone bigger than they actually were. We never see ourselves they way we really are.
    I loved that show! How to look good naked, I think was the name of it. ? :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I loved that show! How to look good naked, I think was the name of it. ? :happy:

I saw that last year before I started being healthier. I told my DH that THAT one is me. He said NO WAY....so yeah, dont we all do that.

Of course it also took 4 months for me to look in the mirror and say, hmm, not bad.

Of course the next day I set up 10 more pounds to lose:laugh:
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Yes, that was it.
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I lost 82lbs and I think I still look really bad. I think it's a mind game we play with ourself
  • Maria061
    Maria061 Posts: 118
    Options
    You had done a very, very good job, to loose 44lbs, that is a nice number. Did You did measurement before You start? You can track that also is fun. I did my number, I can see them going down weight/measurement and I am very excited..
    Just continue want You had be doing, special if You want to loose more, be strong for Your self.
    Cheer Your self like, have a nice hair cut, nails done ...

Good luck to You, :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options

As a psych major, I'm sure you've seen those studies where men and women look at silhouettes of body shapes and are supposed to pick out the shape closest to them - same thing; women always pick a shape that's bigger than they really are.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemies, beating up on ourselves for not being perfect rather than celebrating our successes. And you've got a lot to celebrate, you look fabulous!!!