can i take it light with pneumonia?

Options

Replies

• brooksaceb
    brooksaceb Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    NO! get off your lazy bum and hop on a treadmill!!!!! Sick is NO excuse.

thats the response i was looking for

i actually did ask my doctor but she gave me a strange look then start a lecture about waiting three weeks, so i kind of tuned her out.

i guess i can give it a couple of more days (coach is going to be mad)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

i actually did ask my doctor but she gave me a strange look then start a lecture about waiting three weeks, so i kind of tuned her out.

If you scrolled down on that response you can see that the poster was being sarcastic. Your coach will be a lot more upset if you're out for months because you collapsed a lung trying to do too much. Seriously, if your coach doesn't get that you have pneumonia and need to rest there's a very serious problem here.

You're only a few years older than my son and there's no freaking way I'd let him play soccer with pneumonia, but then again, he'd have more sense than to even think about running around like that when he's that sick. He ended up missing a lot of games his junior year of high school when he had mono. He hated it but understood that sick is sick and he could do permanent damage playing. And so did his coach.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Stay. In. Bed. I had pneumonia during the H1N1 scare (along with a collapsed lung), and I was in bed literally for 4 weeks. I went back to work after four weeks, then had to take MORE weeks off. Like someone up there said, pneumonia is nothing to **** with. Take care of yourself.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    One word.....NO!!!!! :sick:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

If your coach is going to be angry you can't play because you have pneumonia then your coach needs to be shot!

Seriously. You asked and the VAST MAJORITY of answers said to rest, yet you focus in on the one sarcastic response that said to go for a run. Clearly the illness has effected your judgement. Get some rest.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

oh well then, that's settled, you found the answer you wanted to hear, even though that poster was being sarcastic, you didn't see it.

Why bother:

a) Going to your doctor, you don't want her professional opinion anyway.
    b) Asking on here what other people would do, you intend to continue training anyway.

I suggest you don some common sense and stop thinking the team will collapse without you.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    If by taking it light meaning you lay your butt in bed and get lots of rest, then yes, take it light. If you mean working out, that's a terrible idea. I have had pneumonia a few times in the last couple of years and any time I tried to do anything I just ended up crashing harder. Just rest and watch a lot of movies.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    GET BACK IN BED NOW!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should be asking this question of your doctor, not MFP. Pneumonia is nothing to **** around with.

This.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

If your coach is going to be angry you can't play because you have pneumonia then your coach needs to be shot!

Seriously. You asked and the VAST MAJORITY of answers said to rest, yet you focus in on the one sarcastic response that said to go for a run. Clearly the illness has effected your judgement. Get some rest.

THIS!!!!

If your coach is going to be mad, then they're not much of a coach.

*kitten* that noise, there have been quite a few people that I work with that came down with pnemonia. Almost every one of them had been hospitalized....why? Because they didn't REST and do what their dr told them to.

If your dr said to take it easy for 3 weeks, than you should do that. Period.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My experience with pneumonia . . . . I had walking pneumonia for months. I continued to work etc. It did not go away until I made sure to get lots and lots of rest-- 10+ hours per night.

So get some rest. You will be back and able to get strong again much quicker than if you try to push through.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling a little better :flowerforyou:

When I read your post, I was reminded of myself crawling to the doctor with a 103 degree fever a few days before a half marathon. I should have gone to the doctor days earlier but I was in denial and really wanted to run the half marathon.

The only reason I think I finally went was to beg the doctor for some miracle drug that would have me all better by the race day. Of course, the doctor told me that I was very sick and that I would not be running anywhere any time soon. To which, I started to cry like a small child right there in her office.

I tell everyone it was because I had such a high fever that I started to cry but the reality is I was devastated. Definitely discuss this with your doctor. I am sure the doctor will not say what you want to hear but you need to hear it now.

Take good care :heart:
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Have you not been listening to the general consensus here? Pneumonia isn't a heavy cold, people die from it. What's most important, the game or an early exit ?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Not to mention you should be nowhere near a gym spreading pneumonia to everyone else.

FINALLY! I was scrolling down waiting for someone to have said this. No idea how contagious you are at this point, but I would not recommend going to your gym and potentially infecting others.
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    Do not rush back into working out. Take it easy and fully recover before you focus on getting back into your workout routine. Once you are back to 100% you will be able to get back on track with your goals. Your health comes first
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    um NO. Get some rest woman!!! You said you've been sick for 3 weeks... and still been pushin through... well you've been sick for 3 weeks BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN PUSHING THROUGH. Give your body some time to rest and heal!!!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt mess around with pneumonia either. Rest and listen to your Dr.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Is this even a serious question? You're asking a bunch of strangers because your doctor said something you didn't want to hear so you tuned them out? ::facepalm::
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I had pneumonia a few years ago and continued pushing myself to school every day (walked there and back, only about 20 mins each way so didn't seem like a big deal at the time!) so that I could write a very important calculus test that was scheduled on Friday. Thursday, on my walk home, I started having severe pains in my chest, more than just the horrible cough I had from the pneumonia. When I walked in the door of my parent's house, I collapsed. For the first time in my life, I fainted.

I not only scared the *kitten* out of my little brother, my mother was also in tears when I came to and I was taken immediately to the doctor. I wasn't able to leave my bed for almost an entire month after that. I couldn't even sit up long enough to check my email on the computer at the foot of my bed. I never did end up writing that calculus test.

The pain and misery I felt the following month wasn't worth it. If I had've taken care of myself at the start of the week, when I knew I was really sick, I could have avoided it all. To this day, years later, my lungs burn in cold winter weather and if I get a sinus infection or chest cold? Oh boy, you better believe I'm on top of that *kitten* because if I don't rest up and start meds immediately, I will be really sick for WEEKS.

Take the time you need to heal your body. Rest up. It will help you heal faster now, and it will help keep you from being so susceptible to it in the future. Once you've had pneumonia, it tends to be a lot harder to get rid of chest/sinus colds, and they turn into pneumonia more easily.