Eggplant

Options
I can't buy an eggplant without giggling - always think of Jane Curtin in Coneheads. Here's a link for you younglings out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBYPLF0jDS0

Anyway - who's got a good recipe for Eggplant? My eggplant parm is sofaking good, but only perfect when I deep fry the eggplant before baking. Not so healthy, eh?

Anyway - I tried baking it last night and it was good, not great. Any tips on baking - what's the right temp and time to get it super gooey and good like in the deep fryer?

Also my hubby wants to try grilling it - any recipes for that?

Replies

• ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I tried eggplant for the first time last night and it was not good...so bitter, not sure what I did wrong!! I was just roasting in the oven : (
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I bake and stuff my eggplant.

Buy a small one, cut the top off lengthways and scoop out the flesh. Spray the shell with a little Fry Light and put in a hot over, about 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile finely chop the flesh, a couple of chestnut mushrooms and a small potato. Fry these gently in a little Fry Light. When the mix is soft switch off and leave to cool. Chop up 3 walnut halves and mix in the cool mixture.

Once the shell is cooked take it out of the oven and stuff with the mixture and some globs of low fat cheese. I use Skinny Crowdie but not sure that's available in the States.

Put the stuffed eggplant back in the oven and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden.

Only about 250 calories per baked aubergine. Lovely with a salad and some crusty bread.

Here's the finished thing,

IMG_3461-1.jpg

If the eggplant is old or large you need to cover the sliced eggplant with salt and leave the bitter water to drain out for around half an hour. For small young eggplants you don't need to do that.
  • jeeping_mom
    Options
    I tried eggplant for the first time last night and it was not good...so bitter, not sure what I did wrong!! I was just roasting in the oven : (

Did you prime it - or whatever it's called. Eggplant needs to be prepped. I peel and slice, then lay on a paper towel, and sprinkle some sea salt over them. After 20-30 minutes, wipe off the liquid, flip and salt the other side.

Then start cooking. Check allrecipes or just google search for more tips.
  • craftlounge
    Options
    I slice and salt for about 20 minutes then blot with paper towels to absorb excess water. I then chop it up and brown in a pan then add marinara or canned diced tomatoes.