a little defeated

Options
So i went to American eagle today to try on shorts and I have ALWAYS had problems with my thigh areas. I only have about 17-22 lbs before my goal weight and when i tried them on i could barely fit into a 10 and had to go to a 12. I thought i would at least be a 10 if not an 8. I can't imagine my body being much different when i reach my goal (seeing as it is only 17-22 lbs away). I just wondered if anybody else had/has this problem. Will my thighs always be a problem and will i always have to go higher in size for my legs sake?
height: 5'8
CW: 157
GW: 135-140

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    You are tall-ish. If you continue to lose, eventually your thighs and hips will become smaller. But maybe you could let go of that sizing thing in your head, I'm sure you look great at 157. That's a healthy weight for your height.

Also, some clothing is cut to be more generous in the hips, and some are cut to be more for an athletic build. You just need to find clothing for your body style. I am more of the athletic build, and there are lots of pants I don't buy because they fit funny, but the same size in some other brand or cut fits fine.

*edit. Someday I'll learn to type...
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No one can answer that question for you. It begs to reason that as you lose the final weight, your legs will slim down some.

What is your strength training program like? Are you including leg work?
  • UFCGirl1988
    UFCGirl1988 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No one can answer that question for you. It begs to reason that as you lose the final weight, your legs will slim down some.

What is your strength training program like? Are you including leg work?

Right now i am doing 30 DS and 15-30 min of cardio also. 5-6 days a week.
  • UnderConstructionLuis
    Options
    Ashley - i was going to ask the same thing as the previous poster. what are you doing for strength training and cardio work? have you taken measurements? just a friendly reminder, it's not all about the scale. i don't want you to be discouraged. it's a marathon, not a sprint. you'll be fine. remember, you can't spot reduce. work the body evenly. don't be afraid to lift heavy. before you know it the inches will be melting away.
  • UFCGirl1988
    Options
    You are tall-ish. If you continue to lose, eventually your thighs and hips will become smaller. But maybe you could let go of that sizing thing in your head, I'm sure you look great at 157. That's a healthy weight for your height.

Also, some clothing is cut to me more generous in the hips, and some are cut to be more for an athletic build. You just need to find clothing for your body style. I am more of the athletic build, and there are lots of pants I don't buy because they fit funny, but the same size in some other brand or cut fits fine.

You are right. I know sizing is different in different stores, and thanks for the compliment its much needed right now :)
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I am also 5'8" and my thighs are my biggest problem area. I honestly assume they will stay that way even at my goal (I'm 163 now, aiming for 155), so I wear clothes that don't make me feel self conscious about my legs. I doubt I'll ever feel awesome in short shorts, but I have become more confident in longer shorts (not old lady bermuda shorts, just a 2 or so inches on the inseem) and skirts. Don't just your success by American Eagle's sizing patterns.
  • UFCGirl1988
    Options
    Ashley - i was going to ask the same thing as the previous poster. what are you doing for strength training and cardio work? have you taken measurements? just a friendly reminder, it's not all about the scale. i don't want you to be discouraged. it's a marathon, not a sprint. you'll be fine. remember, you can't spot reduce. work the body evenly. don't be afraid to lift heavy. before you know it the inches will be melting away.

I haven't taken my measurements and I could kick myself for not doing that, bc I know i have lost inches in my legs but i guess not as many as i thought lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you're a pear shaped woman, the last place you're going to lose is your hips/rear and thighs. Those last 17-22 pounds may just come from there. Or at least a good many of them.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't drop down in size until I was closer to my goal, like 10 lbs. I don't know why as my measurements were all getting smaller but couldn't wear a different pair of jeans. Maybe it was because I am tall, too. (5'10"). But when I did drop it was kind dramatic. I started size 14, eventually 12 then like 5 lbs later I was 10. Now I am an 8 going into a 6 (I am done losing weight but I keep getting smaller).
  • HUstrawberry
    Options
    22 lbs is a lot of weight, and I personally think you will be in those size 10 shorts after 22 lbs. Also, you may want to research that brand of clothing, as some clothing lines can run a bit smaller than others. This has been my experience when shopping, I'll fit a smaller size at one store and a similar product at another store of the same size will barely fit me, if at all. So don't be discouraged, just keep going. And if it's any consolation, you're already where a lot of other people are trying to get...we are our own worst critics, but try not to be too hard on yourself.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I for one wear a "loose fit" jean which allows a bit of extra thigh room. It is usually the best fit for me though my biggest problem area is my "beer gut" ... even though I have drank no alcohol for 20 years or so... I would think more high energy cardio that includes a lot of leg work will help... Remember too that women tend to gain first on hips and thighs so it stands to reason it will be the last to go... Same with my "beer gut" I suppose.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    my size shifted in the last 10lbs. Youll get there. I still have 4.6lbs to my goal of 129.6. I am wearing 4s and 6s...depends on brand.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, some clothing is cut to be more generous in the hips, and some are cut to be more for an athletic build. You just need to find clothing for your body style. I am more of the athletic build, and there are lots of pants I don't buy because they fit funny, but the same size in some other brand or cut fits fine.

And this! I went to a formal event a few years ago and the dress I bought was labeled size 16. Now, I have NEVER worn above a 12 in anything else, but I had gained weight and hadn't shopped in a while, so I thought maybe I really was a 16. This made me quite sad, but whatever.

Anyway, a few months later I was going to be in my cousin's wedding and had to order a dress from a catalog. Thinking I was a 16 (at least in formal wear), I ordered a 16. I did NOT lose weight in the meantime, but that 16 bridesmaid dress was beyond huge. Sizes run so differently from store to store and brand to brand.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different/body shape and all that, but I lost 17lbs and went from a size 10 to a size 5.
    So I'm sure you'll drop a couple of sizes!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I believe American Eagle sizes are misses sizes so they run smaller. I can wear a size small or medium at Limited but have to have at least a large at AE. I haven't tried on shorts or pants there in a long time so I can't compare pant sizes but I know their shirts run small.
  • Figment14300
    Options
    I have always noticed that American Eagle along with Abercombie and Fitch and the Gap, their sizes can tend to run small, def dont get discouraged! you are doing an awesome job!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i am also 5' 7.5" and weigh 158 currently...

where your body holds fat is genetic but the overall amount of body fat can be decreased with a healthy diet and strength training. Cardio has its place, but is best in really short high intensity intervals. Strength training has done the most for reducing inches on the lower half of my body, where i carry my weight.

I started with new rules of lifting for women as a lifting program and have recently joined crossfit. I honestly believe that weight loss is 85% diet and 15% exercise...so getting your diet straight will do a LOT for your goals.

Good luck!
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but think of yourself as a roll of paper towels and each single sheet is a pound. In the beginning the roll is big and if you remove 1 paper towel, yes it does get smaller but not noticeably smaller. But, the more you remove the smaller the roll gets and the smaller it gets, the easier it gets to notice when another paper towel is removed. The last few pounds can make a HUGE difference!
    Please see my before and afters...only a 15 lb difference.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247123-15lbs-down-w-embarrassing-underwear-shots-eek
  • jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So i went to American eagle today to try on shorts and I have ALWAYS had problems with my thigh areas. I only have about 17-22 lbs before my goal weight and when i tried them on i could barely fit into a 10 and had to go to a 12. I thought i would at least be a 10 if not an 8. I can't imagine my body being much different when i reach my goal (seeing as it is only 17-22 lbs away). I just wondered if anybody else had/has this problem. Will my thighs always be a problem and will i always have to go higher in size for my legs sake?
    height: 5'8
    CW: 157
    GW: 135-140

A couple of things...1 AE runs small, so that is why you are wearing a bigger size. 2. I didn't get into a size 8 until I was in the lower 150's, I'm only 5'5, so that could be a little different. 3. 17-22 pounds is a giant difference, I dropped 2 sizes with 20 pounds! As you tone your body your thighs will shrink.

Don't get discouraged! Try another store!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on clothing sizes. I went to David's bridal last week-end and dresses in sizes 2, 4 and 6 fit me! That's a HUGE range. Possibly in another store you could fit in a 6. Those numbers don't really count.