Where Did my "Me Time" Go?

Options
I was doing some pondering lately on why I just can't succeed at weight loss and exercise. My biggest hurdle: there's no "me time".

Here's a run down of my schedule:

4:30 am--wake up, get ready for work, get the kids out of bed and ready for school, etc.
7:00 am--get to work and work a 10.5 hour day
6:30 pm--get home from work--4 nights a week, turn around and leave ASAP for sports and other activities
9:00 pm--get home from activities, eat something, go through school bags and other to dos, clean, pay bills, etc.
11:00 pm--finally go to bed
Start all over the next day (this leaves about 5 hours of interrupted sleep for me).

I really want to lose weight and work out, but I can't find the time to workout. When I finally do have a few minutes to work out, I don't have the energy.

So, with a schedule like this, how can I possibly succeed?

Signed,
just can't keep up!

Replies

• fabulis1
    fabulis1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One more thing, it really makes me feel bad when I log in and find everyone else burning an amazing amount of calories! It makes me feel seriously inadequate!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're one busy woman! Sounds like your husband needs to pick up some of the slack while you "do you".
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight i would focus on your food and how to have healthy meals for you and your family. Diet is the most important part for weight loss.

For exercise I would just try to do something on the weekend. I find exercise classes good because I make time to go. I have friends who like the flexiblity of running or DVDs.
  • fabulis1
    fabulis1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're one busy woman! Sounds like your husband needs to pick up some of the slack while you "do you".

He works plus owns his own business and that leaves me (pretty much) a single mom. I also manage my son's travel baseball team and coach my daughter in her clog dance competitions. My husband helps at every baseball game and practice, he also helps the farmer neighbor every day before and after work, so he's doing his fair share, too.

There are days I just feel like I can't take it anymore, but I don't know how to include some me time!

So overwhelmed!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    How old are your children? Maybe you could designate some household chores for them to do a few days a week so you could squeeze in a workout here and there. Do you get a lunch break at work? If so, try packing a lunch and going for a walk.
  • Amyjo0517
    Amyjo0517 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am trying to motivate myself to exercise in the morning but I don't get up as early as you do. If I could just get up by 5:15am then I would have plenty of time. I do agree with the lunch idea. I try to walk at lunch, some days even run but just can't stand the "salty" feeling with no showers available.
  • Patty_Petz
    Options
    While personally I need a nap just reading your busy schedule, it seems pretty solid with have to-do's. So I would buy myself a set of ankle and hand weights and while the kids are at practice, games, etc. walk around the field. When you get home at 9 pm wear them while you are doing things around the house - and incorporate exercise in that way - leg lifts, squats, lunges, arm raises, whatever to make it happen.

You might feel idiotic, but at some point you just have to choose when and where you squeeze " you" into the picture.
  • Patty_Petz
    Options
    One more thing, it really makes me feel bad when I log in and find everyone else burning an amazing amount of calories! It makes me feel seriously inadequate!

Don't compare yourself to others.....it's a very bad road to head down. For all we know, they get up at 9am, go to a couple of classes are home by 2pm, live with their parents, and the only thing they have to worry about is what is happening on General Hospital, and thus have no real excuse for NOT working out like that.

Focus on the good stuff in your life - you have happy, healthy kids, you have a loving, generous husband who is busting himself to provide for his family, you have lost 7 pounds - that's 28 sticks of butter gone from your life!

Again, only you can decide about your path, we can suggest and encourage, but in the end the choice and actions are yours to make.

Good luck - keep me posted, I'd like to hear how you are doing!
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    My schedule is a little like yours but I only have one child. Here is how I work out....I go on my lunch time. Even if it is only 30 minutes, I still go. You can do this ! I know lots of people work out for a lot more time than I do, but I do what I can with my day.

I have been told many times that 90% of weightloss is your food. I am still getting a grasp on this myself !
  • Candaroo
    Candaroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling the same way that you do and my schedule is not NEARLY as crazy as yours. I have an hour commute daily to work, work 9 hours have to feed the baby, make dinner for the husband (cause he "can't cook"), clean up the kitchen/house, get the baby ready for bed and by the time I'm done I am just wiped! I think some of the others had some great suggestions. I have been taking about a hour a day on the weekends to actually go to the gym (forcing my husband to actually do something) and I try to go once during the week (but so far that hasnt happened). There are definitely things you can do while at work. I even have some friends who go the the gym on their lunch break and then eat at their desk when they get back (not sure if that is an option for you) I like the idea of getting the ankle and wrist weights and just walking around the field while at the kids sports things too.