SBF2: Reboot Boogaloo! May 31st

Options
Here it is, friends, the last day of the current cycle.

I completely changed my goals midway to trying to take care of my body, rather than just push it. Still hard, but I'm doing much better at this.

I'm keeping with my current (new plan) for the next cycle (end point TBD :wink: ) Bikram 3x a week, Circuit Training (60 minutes, once a week) and Spinning (60 minutes, once a week.) AND (here's my real challenge) 2 entire days a week of not working out, but using the extra energy towards something else (yesterday it was laundry and cleaning my closet, plus walking errands).

Also, I'm elevating my eating of whole foods and no junky junk to priority one. (it's already made a huge difference in how I'm feeling just in the past ten days or so. . .)

Report, pebbles, how'd you do, and what will you change?

Take care.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I have really nice forearms - do to 5x a week of yoga. My upper arms are looking pretty good too.

Mine is more of the same: yoga 5x a week & walking or other 7x a week. I don't have set schedule for strong cardio / mellow cardio - it's whatever I feel like - luckily, I feel like strong cardio a few days a week. My muscles feel tired (not sore, tired) many times after yoga, so I'm not worrying about weights. They feel tired today. Yesterday's yoga class was fun - we each got to pick a pose - I picked elbow balance.

I'm still pretty restrictive on desserts, butter, and cow cheese. I still get 7-11 servings of fruits and veggies everyday.

Body fat scan tomorrow. We'll see if there is any improvement. Weight wise, no change in a year.

Strong Bodies Boogaloo!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I'm blowing it big today. I don't know why I don't learn. :grumble:
    I am thinking about jogging, but I'm not sure. Any advice for a beginner? Stretch beforehand and afterward? Don't worry about looking like an idiot? :laugh: Anything? The only problem is that I prefer to work out in the mornings but I have to have Alex with me and in a stroller, and it's not a jogging stroller. I'll have to try to do it in the evenings, but I have to overcome my fear of looking stupid and going by myself. I wish DH liked to work out, but he doesn't need to lose anything. He doesn't like sweating. lol
    AF is coming this week so I may not be up to it. I have to try something. I need a goal (other than pounds or clothes size). I need a boost. I hear a lot about runner's high so maybe that's what I need? I will also need something that I can do when we take our Russian trips (granted it could be -25 outside). We can walk of course too.
    I really think that if I would just quit over eating I would feel so much better It's a mindset I've had since I was little. My dad always made us eat everything on our plates, plus and extra hamburger patty if it was the only one left, or extra potatoes if there was just a little left. I do not know why I think the food tastes SOO good that I have to stuff myself till I'm sick! I would make my goal for the new challenge not to over eat, but honestly I'm not even sure that I understand what it's like to NOT over eat. I love to eat and I hate that I do.
    Sorry for the novel. Venting since I have once again only gained weight during this challenge. It's probably a good thing I'm not pregnant right now. I'd gain 50 pounds. I've got to get some self control!

More self-control boogaloo!
    MM
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, all. It's the last day of my 30th year! I am so grateful that my health is so much better now than it was when I turned 29. And get this - I went shopping yesterday, and bought 2 pairs of pants that were size 8!!!! :love: They seem to have some new cuts lately called 'curvy' that fit me pretty well. I just couldn't believe that I was that size! And my husband got me a funny t-shirt for my birthday that is a baby doll style, that also JUST fits - it is form fitting, but not stretched - so if I wear that with the jeans, I am feeling pretty fine. :laugh:

I was a bit less focused on this round of the challenge, but I did pretty much accomplish what I wanted to do. I lost 5 pounds, I ran the race, and I kept doing my pushups (although I took a week off). We also just finished up the steps & fruit/veggie challenge at work. I am starting to realize that if I go more than 2-3 days without having a higher intensity workout, I start feeling lazy. And I'm more aware of it now if I don't get at least 4 cups of fruits/veggies (how much are you counting as a serving, btw, Mary? Our challenge was for 5 cups a day, which I pretty much always managed, but it did take a little bit of planning/preparation to get that much in). So these are the sorts of things that I want to keep going. I also realized that I can push myself and achieve more than I thought possible (i.e. the 8 minute mile, size 8 pants).

MM, what I did to start jogging was just to do it. I wore my heart rate monitor, jogged really slow, and tried to go for 10 minutes. You might start with less than that, and alternate walking/jogging. At first, my HR was getting up over 170 and I really felt tired. Gradually I started being able to go a little longer - worked up to 20 minutes. Then 30. Then I started trying to run a little faster (easy to judge on a treadmill - but it's also easy to psych yourself out, thinking, "I can't go faster than X mph").

A lot of people seem to like to "Couch to 5K" program, so you might look that up. It alternates between walking and running, gradually working up to more running and less walking. It's better to stretch after you've warmed up a bit - so if you start out walking for a few minutes, then do some gentle stretching, and then start jogging. Stretching afterward is good to keep from getting quite as stiff. And don't worry about how you look. My face gets red like a beet when I run. :blushing: And at first, I was going so slow that most people would probably have been walking faster than me. But it was harder for me to jog than walk, so that's what I decided to work on. I felt so proud of myself when I was able to do the race the other day, and still be able to talk a little bit with my husband and co-worker who I was running with - last year, I wouldn't have been able to talk at all while jogging. You can do it - it just takes time! :flowerforyou:

OK, that was long! I hope it helps.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Happy Almost B-day CP! I count serving sizes sorta (rather than cups) - so 1/2 c of strawberries = 1 serving - but I think I underestimate - I'll eat a large bowl of strawberries and count it as 2 servings. I found this on the interwebs:
    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0715.html

MM - running is especially hard for me. I'm up to a mile, but I'm not progressing like CP here. It took 2 years for me to run a mile. Yep. Though I wasn't trying every single week - if I did, it would probably take about 6 months - for me - and that's only at 5.3 mph. I'm a bit unusual though. I bet you could do it in a month. I did intervals - walk 2 minutes, run 1 - and slowly increased.