How to deal with people just taking up space in the gym?

Options
This is an issue that has come up recently and I would love to know how to handle it. I go to an overcrowded YMCA and spend the majority of my time in the weight room. Lately, there have been a ton of teenage girls just hanging out there (presumably gauking at the boys). They are in the way, they're sitting on euqipment, congregating in areas where I can't lift without hitting them, etc. I can handle busy, everybody needs to get their burn in, that's fine. People to USE the gym tend to know the etiquitte required to make things run smoothly. However, the girls who are just in the freaking way are really starting to piss me off! Any suggestions on how to handle this without being the b*tch?

So far, I've used "How many sets do you have left?" when they are on equipment to communicate that I'd like to use it. Sometimes it works, other times they look at me all confused like I just spoke to them in a foreign language. Other (less than gracious times), I've just started lifing and allowed my weights to JUST BARELY miss them and they usually step back. I'd really like to yell "Just get the eff outta here if you're not going to do anything, anyway!" but I'm guessing since the YMCA is a Christian organization, that won't go over so well! ;-)

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If someone is not using equipment and you need to use it, just tell them to move. I know it's not the socially normal thing to be direct but......try it. Especially if they are teenagers, they will probably just do it. I'm a mom of a teenager so if it were me I'd just be straight and said "Hey....you guys are taking up space and I need to use this equipment, can you go sit somewhere else?"

Of course, you also have the option of going to the staff and asking them to be the heavy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot more patient and diplomatic than I would be.....

Maybe have a word with someone at the front desk, if it's bugging you I'm sure it's an annoyance for others too (except maybe for the gawkees)

When addressing the teenage female remember, you cannot use complete sentences - this only confuses them, and everything must start with "Like, how many sets....." (as the father of a teenage daughter I know this to be true! :laugh: )
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    "You using this?" or "you want to work in with me?" Usually his gives them a clue. If not, then "if you're not using it, then I'd like to" will work.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just get the eff outta here if you're not going to do anything, anyway!" but I'm guessing since the YMCA is a Christian organization, that won't go over so well! ;-)
    Have you spoken to the staff? That's their job to deal with people who are not behaving properly.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I encounter this all the time at my gym and it's not even teenagers! It's people my age or older just ****ing around on the weight machines while their friends watch.. and it's freaking redic!

I either walk up to them and ask how much longer or give them a really *****y look that clearly says"I need this equipment and you better move!". For the most part that works really well.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    how about "excuse me, I need to use this"
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You could also try blasting Ludacris - Move B!tch on your phone.....?
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you are paying to use the equipment then contact the attendant and let them deal with it. If you have tried being nice, drop a message to the attendant. If they do not take care of the problem...continue up the ladder until its handled. Or you could just be a B***ch and yell get the hell out of the way!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    This is an issue that has come up recently and I would love to know how to handle it. I go to an overcrowded YMCA and spend the majority of my time in the weight room. Lately, there have been a ton of teenage girls just hanging out there (presumably gauking at the boys). They are in the way, they're sitting on euqipment, congregating in areas where I can't lift without hitting them, etc. I can handle busy, everybody needs to get their burn in, that's fine. People to USE the gym tend to know the etiquitte required to make things run smoothly. However, the girls who are just in the freaking way are really starting to piss me off! Any suggestions on how to handle this without being the b*tch?

So far, I've used "How many sets do you have left?" when they are on equipment to communicate that I'd like to use it. Sometimes it works, other times they look at me all confused like I just spoke to them in a foreign language. Other (less than gracious times), I've just started lifing and allowed my weights to JUST BARELY miss them and they usually step back. I'd really like to yell "Just get the eff outta here if you're not going to do anything, anyway!" but I'm guessing since the YMCA is a Christian organization, that won't go over so well! ;-)
    Tell them you're embarking on a Crusade and jesus wants you to get fit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I promise you, the best way to clear the area is this: FART OUTLOUD.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "I need to use that." If they don't move, move them. Everyone loves a cat fight.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    If it continues to be a problem, you could *try* pointing out the posted GYM RULES...or you could go narc on them to the fitness monitor. It is the fitness monitor's job to make sure that the equipment is being used properly and that no one is hogging the equipment--my Y has a "teen hub" where the teens can hang out...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes it is. I use it even when I don't need to. :D
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes it is. I use it even when I don't need to. :D
    Works EVERYTIME...........................unless you're around of meatheads. Then they try to guess what protein powder you're takin'.

IDEA Fitness member
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i just saw an argument at my gym start over this very thing. 2 guys couldn't work out to share a weight bench.

anyway, i just ask to alternate sets with them. that's what i do when our power racks are full and i need to share one with a guy who needs to do pull ups.

i would only tell a staff member if the other person was a d*ck about it. the way i see it i'm an adult i shouldnt have to immediately go running to someone official to resolve something so simple
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    There were two dudes sitting and talking near one of the machines I needed to use last weekend. I stood around for a few minutes to see if they were going to continue using it or just sit and talk. After about 5 minutes of hovering, I asked one, "Are you still using this?" He replied yes, yet went back to his conversation. I stood and waited for another minute and when he didnt resume using it, I told him, "Look, I could have had two sets done by now - I'm going to use this and when you're ready, you can work in with me" as I adjusted the weight and began my set. They walked away and didn't come back. LoL
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There were two dudes sitting and talking near one of the machines I needed to use last weekend. I stood around for a few minutes to see if they were going to continue using it or just sit and talk. After about 5 minutes of hovering, I asked one, "Are you still using this?" He replied yes, yet went back to his conversation. I stood and waited for another minute and when he didnt resume using it, I told him, "Look, I could have had two sets done by now - I'm going to use this and when you're ready, you can work in with me" as I adjusted the weight and began my set. They walked away and didn't come back. LoL

HEHEHEHE
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ask if you can work in, or stare at them passive aggressively. :D

This is one of my pet peeves, only at my gym it's usually a guy on a piece of equipment I want to use just sitting there texting people and not lifting. *UGH* I checked the clock one time and the guy was there for 40 minutes! My gym time is precious to me, why would you waste it?
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LOL. I'm sorry, I don't really have any advice here toher than speak to the YMCA managemtn about it so they can keep an eye out and maybe make announcements if they see people just sitting on the equipment. Your post cracked me up though...perhaps if nothing is done then the last resort is to just tell them get the eff out of the way, haha. Sometimes being nice just doesn't work :/
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LMAO, wow! Yeah, that would do the trick!