Calling all those who have successfully lost weight!

Options

Replies

• susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I would agree with comments like these. I lost 70 pounds in all over a course of 5 years. When I counted calories and ate healthy choices I lost weight. When I decided I didn't need to log food anymore I was more lenient with what I ate. Went from walking mostly 30 minutes most days to even 45 minutes 2 times a day and ate roughly the same lenient calories and my weight continued to climb.

Decided it is key to me to definitely log my calories and make healthy choices. When I stay within my calorie limits but add in more salt, sugar, and refined grains my weight goes up even when my exercise stays the same and I eat my exercise calories throughout. When I stick to healthy eating of whole foods, minimal salt, zero to minimal sugars from condiments, and limit animal products to almost nil I lose the most weight. I am currently bouncing around 135 - 138 trying to make myself settle at 135 or below with my calories set for 1/2 pound weight loss per week.

If you are vigilant in logging EVERTHING then you will know what works for you.
    Susan

Edit: thought I was quoting mellisant above.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i say 85% food, 10% exercise and 5% mental....the specifics arent as important as how much you make lifestyle changes!

that common quote, you cant out exercise a bad diet is SO true!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    70% Food
    20% Heavy lifting
    10% Attitude
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    75% what I ate and 25% my exercise. You can lose weight with out ever exercising, but I don't know how healthy you'd be.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    All of the weight loss was from diet (eating more). However, exercise has helped my fitness level and body fat %. I'm at a great weight, but it looks like it's all exercise for me from here on out to get in the shape I want to be.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Looking at my past experiences and marathon training, etc. 100% of my weight loss was through dietary changes/tracking calories. My exercise served to tone me up, give me energy, and enhance my mood. But that's just my experience. During my marathon training I lost no weight at all, probably because I was eating a ton to make up for the training. It wasn't until I start logging my eating habits and getting a calorie deficit that things happened. Good luck!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's really tough to say what percent of results is due to which changes. For me exercise is very, very important. Exercise improves my mental outlook and makes it possible for me to make the other changes (attitude and diet) that are necessary to lose weight. I don't think the exercise caused the pounds to drop off, but it did help me to stick with eating more healthfully and getting better rest.

So, actual pounds lost is much more due to diet, but the ability to stick with this new lifestyle is mostly exercise.
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what % of your loss you would contribute to the way you eat and what % you would contribute to the amount of exercise you did/do? I know to successfully lose weight you need to do both but I feel like I have been exercising a lot while still struggling with healthy eating, and I haven't lost a pound! Thanks ahead of time for your input!!!

I lost 60 pounds without any exercise (shame on me I know). It was all about eating better. I gained 10 back cause everyone was telling me I was too thin. But now I am doing what is best for me and trying to lose it again, only this time with exercise. Lots of it.

People aren't kidding when they say diet is most important. If you exercise all day long it won't make a difference if you are still eating crap. Everyone kept asking me what my secret was to losing weight. I would say "stop eating junk" and they would lose interest. people don't want to hear that, but it is 100% true.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I would say 80% of my weight loss was from healthy eating and always staying under my calorie goals and 20% from exercise.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I would say both diet and exercies. I had to change my eating habits and think about food differently. I also had to learn to appreciate the benifits of exercise. Now I am used to eating better and exercising everyday. It wasn't an over night change, it took time, but because of that I think it stuck with me. Best of luck to you.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    99% of my 25 pound weight loss is due to cutting calories.

Now I'm stepping up my exercise because I have hit a plateau and need to tone.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy portions and watching calories, 95%. I exercise 6 days a week and give the 5%.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    90% of my WL has happened in the kitchen. I can't out-exercise a bad diet.
  • nas30
    nas30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump. :smile:
  • Happinessgrl
    Happinessgrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    That is really hard for me because honestly I had to change 100% of myself! That includes diet, exercise and mindset. In order for me to be successful I couldn't bring any part of the old me (poor eating, laziness, and negative thinking) with me. The only thing that I had to bring with me was the body that God gave me, everything else had to go....
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Exercise down the gym for me is about getting fit again, not about losing weight.
    I am losing weight through slowly changing my diet (and increasing my overall activity during the day and at weekends).

Food wise for me personally it will take time because I know if I go cold turkey on certain foods that I will hit a mental wall
    Chocolate and fizzy was easy to give up and I don't miss them, it was food that was easily at hand at work when I was bored, now I always carry an apple or bananna to replace that temptation (I now love fruit, what a silly and odd mental block that was).

Now my problem is cutting down on red meats (like chipolatas and bacon), and frozen foods (like potato waffles and fish fingers) and working in more veggies and fresh white meats ( does Nando's count? :laugh: ).

I have met the other targets I have set and I will meet this one!

So far I have lost 28lbs on MFP (32lbs in total) and I feel much happier and have a much more positive attitude because of it.

I also musn't forget the great community, I have been cheered and geared up many times by the posts I have read.

Keep going, I know I will be!
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    80% Diet / 20% Excerise for most of my weight loss. Since I'm now in maintenance mode its more like 60% diet/ 40% excerise.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    80-90% dietary & 10-20% exercise.

I was going to say exactly this

Me, too. I've lost 53lbs total. I heard someone say losing weight is 80% in the kitchen, 20% in the gym. I believe it.
  • Metalgup
    Metalgup Posts: 1
    Options
    whatever the ratio is (I'm not entirely sure about my ratio tbh), I'd say be patient. It took me a long long time before I started losing weight. It started with things tightening up for about 3 months (if not more) before i finally started losing weight.
    Don't give up because it feels like nothing's happening (the body tends to be behind); it will catch up and you'll start to see the changes. good luck!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    99% of what I lost was due to the way I eat, monitoring with MFP.
    I don't do exercise yet, only a walk once a week, and not even that sometimes.

I do plan to do exercise, for health reasons, not weight loss.