Holy Moly 1st 5k!!

Options
So I agreed to join a team for my very first 5K. But it isn't just a run. It is a whole obstical course! EEK! What did I get myself into?!?! I am excited and yet nervous. I think it will be a lot of fun but I still feel like such a beginner to this new lifestyle I started in January. I am still greatly overweight and while I workout 6 days/week I am scared about this. And yet, excited. Such a conflict!! Anyway, I would like all the training tips I can get.

Here is the race so you can see what I am up against.
http://www.5kfoamfest.com/location-phoenix.php

And maybe I should mention that I am 5'1", 230ish lbs and have asthma?? LOL!

Replies

• allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump

Training tips other than C25K?
  • toryua
    toryua Posts: 2
    Options
    Allyson, it is so wonderful that you are doing this! Can you imagine signing up for this a few months ago? No way, right?! Well, I think it's going to be pretty tough and I'm concerned about the obstacles, too, but I'm going to do the best I can and just take the whole thing as a super-fun time! My tip is this: get your body running at least 5x per week (Rob's right - start with 5-10 minutes a day and gradually add a little more), do all of the strength exercises that you can, and on race day don't take the whole thing too seriously - just do what you can and have fun!!! Just the fact that you're doing this is a big WIN!
  • toryua
    toryua Posts: 2
    Options
    And the running should be in addition to whatever cardio you're already doing. Try to get yourself up to 15 minutes of running. I've never done one of these before but I looked at the course and it's full of obstacles. You won't have to run more than a few minutes at a time before stopping to do an obstacle.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Girl... you got this! Start slow & build... if you check out runners world they typically have a beginners section every month... looks like a blast! have fun... and make ur goal to finish nothing crazy like a time restriction!!
  • ThisIsMe_sbd
    ThisIsMe_sbd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Go to the race, have fun and just keep moving towards the finish line!!! Don't worry about running the whole thing, don't worry about your time! But do write your time down to compare to the next 5km race your do. Just run/walk/jog against yourself. Try to beat your time on your second race - don't worry about anyone else.
  • Jacleepin
    Jacleepin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just did my first this last weekend. Yay! No one told me to eat a banana before the race so I wouldn't get cramps. :noway: Also, if there's post race beer, take it easy. I speak from experience. That's my best advice.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Galloway system. There are also various programs linked to sites like mapmyrun.com and the aforementioned runner's world. Most all will incorporate run/walk sequences.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    he, he, he, he, he... So... I am ALMOST doing the same thing! My "first" planned 5K is what's called the "Dirty Dash" and is a muddy 5K obstacle course. I am wondering what I was thinking... but, it's all about fun and I have a great team doing it with me. Each of us is worried about different obstacles (all of us are looking forward to the beer chug/root beer chug station) so we will need to support each other all the way through. We are entering as a "team" which means that we have to end at the same time... so, that part concerns me guessing that I will be the slow person on the team... but, again, we plan to concentrate on just having fun with it!

Like someone else posted... you will only run for a period of time and then stop to do an obstacle... run and do another obstacle...

My plans for getting ready for the July race IS going to include starting the C25K program again... but I am also working on building up strength by doing some lifting, I work with a personal trainer one time a week... and, will tell her at a point that I am going to do the Dirty Dash so that she can help me prepare...

Oh... and I am doing the Zombie Apolcalypse 9 week Challenge on here -- the creators of the game talk about how it's supposed to help with prepaing for things like the Warrior Dash/Tough Mudders/etc.... Feel free to look at that challenge... and let them know to put us on the same team!

I'd be happy to support you and vice versa for these upcoming... obstacle opportunities! LOL.
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreaciate all the suggestions/advice/encouragement.
  • nikki0960
    nikki0960 Posts: 13
    Options
    Do not run more then 5 times per week. I am a runner . Go online and type in 5k training. You will see the correct ways of running , scheduling and such. If you run more then 5 times per week and you are just starting off, you will end up with running injuries. I am training for a 1/2 marathon,, if you have any questions let me know