fitness and exercise

Options
This might sound really stupid but maybe someone can expain it to me...using the exercise tracker why do you not burn more calories if you can walk/run the same mileage in a shorter amount of time than before losing weight.....i thought since you are walking at a faster pace you would ....just wondering...thanks

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Previously you were carrying more weight which meant that you worked harder carrying that extra weight and burnt more calories. If you carried extra weight and did the same walk / run, you would burn more calories.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As you exercise your body becomes more efficient and it takes less energy to accomplish the same amount of work and as you lose weight it takes less energy to move you (there's less mass fighting gravity).
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This might sound really stupid but maybe someone can expain it to me...using the exercise tracker why do you not burn more calories if you can walk/run the same mileage in a shorter amount of time than before losing weight.....i thought since you are walking at a faster pace you would ....just wondering...thanks

I think you are asking why you get the same number of calories if you walk a mile in 15 minutes (4 miles per hour) or the same mile in 30 minutes (2 miles per hour). If you walk twice as fast, yes, you are burning calories at a faster rate . . . but for a shorter length of time. There have been studies of calories burned and for walking it really is generally a function of distance, not distance and speed. There will be a difference once you start to run instead of walk since you move your body differently so the number of calories per mile changes. But even with running, to the first order, it's a function of distance, not distance and speed.

Or maybe you were asking something else entirely . . .
  • treetop57
    Options
    Calories per Mile
    Between the speeds of 5 and 9 miles per hour, runners expend almost the same calories per mile. . . .

Walkers also see very little difference in calories per mile at walking speeds between 2.5 and 4 miles per hour. While they burn the same calories per mile as runners if they can go 5 mph, they burn fewer calories per mile at slower speeds. They can easily make up that difference in a workout by going further in distance.

http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm
  • carol5k
    carol5k Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks....i guess i will have start walking for a longer distance....I am not a runner...LOL
  • treetop57
    Options
    Me neither! The advantage of walking faster is you can go that longer distance in a shorter time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thanks....i guess i will have start walking for a longer distance....I am not a runner...LOL
    or you can just start adding in walking intervals. walk at your regular speed for like 90 seconds then for the next 30 seconds speed walk.
    i personally prefer making my workout harder than making it longer
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    it all goes by heartrate and age.. use the formula and calculate the right calories
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    so according to the calc
    if i wasnt fit and did the mile in 20 min and my heart rate was 110bpm i would burn 193 calories
    i get fit and i walk fast my heart rate is 130bpm it takes me 15 min to complete the mile my calories burned are 190.. and i shaved off 5 min