New veggies to try?

Options
2»

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    yall have given me some great ideas. :happy:

We use any fresh veggie in whole wheat rotini salad (use light or fat free Italian dressing sparingly) but mainly squash, zucchini, cucumbers, bell pepper, celery, tomatoes, and carrots. We throw in a LOT of whatever vegetable on hand.

Another variation, whole wheat rotini with light Ranch and broccoli, cauliflower, and scallions.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Zucchini sliced into spaghetti strands. Boil like pasta for several minutes, add tomato sauce. Very healthy.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Zucchini sliced into spaghetti strands. Boil like pasta for several minutes, add tomato sauce. Very healthy.

What a great idea, I love zucchini.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I like to roast root veggies (and veggies that look like they should grow underground)

peel and cut the following veggies into smallish pieces
    beets
    turnips
    kohlrabi
    carrots

toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 350 until soft
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Look up on google the Blog "A Veggie Venture" . Lady tries new vegetable a week (or something) and has tons of recipes!. The top corner has a link that says "Vegetable A - Z ". Awesome resource!
  • LishaCole
    Options
    http://aveggieventuresrecipebox.blogspot.ca/2005/03/alphabet-of-vegetables_6295.html

She cooked a different vegetable dish everyday for an entire year!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    These are fabulous, thanks so much for the ideas! will be adding these to my list!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Try sweet potato as suggsted above with olive oil and baked, but try cinnamon as a different taste. Gorgeous.

Baby spinach, fresh, use in salad, stir frys, or frozen spinach - I add frozen spinach to spag bolognese.
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options

How do you slice it into spaghetti strands? (total noob at cooking here)
  • LishaCole
    Options

How do you slice it into spaghetti strands? (total noob at cooking here)

Just cut it as fine as possible.

Another great option is spaghetti squash... Just bake - no fine slicing required. But it does take longer to bake then for zucchini squash to be cooked via boiling... trade off.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Since it's April and I'm looking forward to warmer weather....

Summer squashes... zucchini and yellow summer squash and some onions and garlic sauted up in olive oil and seasoned with some italian herb blend.

Swiss chard (heavy, dark green)....Cut chard leaves from the heavy center stems and into 2-3 inch pieces, and wash. saute up large onion and garlic in some olive oil. Add damp chard leaves to pan and 1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock. A regular bunch of leaves from the grocery would use about 1/4 cup. Let leaves wilt down (maybe 5 minutes), add about 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar and salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes longer.
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I really like brussel sprouts now!