C25K

Options
Has anyone done this before? Do you do it outside? At the gym? What were your results?

Replies

• adornedelle
    Options
    I've heard of it. I was thinking about trying it out.
  • cyreta
    cyreta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing it now- 2nd week for the 2nd time. I did a modified version almost 2 years ago where I did the distances but not in the time stated, and ran a 5k in 42 minutes 8 or 9 weeks after starting. It was faster than my sister, the runner in the family, so I was thrilled. Sibling rivalry is interesting lol. I was also 193 lbs if that matters to you. Now I'm doing it with the time stated as well as the distance. I've figured that the first 3- 4 weeks is at about 5 miles an hour, and the rest is about 6 miles an hour. I'm already running faster than last time I started, and I'm hoping to get to the steady 6 mph pace at the end. I do it at the gym because I can see my pace easily. My 5k isn't until October, so I figure I can take 2 weeks for each week if I need to and still start training for a 10k before the 5k happens. Good luck!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now. Outside. I'm on week 3. I wouldn't do it on a treadmill because treadmills are easier than running on the actual ground... I didn't want to do the program on a treadmill and then go out to run and not be able to do it. As far as results, I'm hoping to be able to run 5k at once lol.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    On week 5. I love it! I do it at the gym on the indoor track, but I've done it a few times outside. I've had great results with it so far. I'm able to run farther without stopping to catch my breath. It may not seem like much but 5 weeks ago, I wouldn't have been able to run 6 minutes without stopping and now I can.
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the P25K (Pooch 2 5K). It's a 12 week plan and since it involves the dog, I'm obviously doing it outside (even though my son wants to get a treadmill for the dog because he saw it on a movie). I've heard of people doing C25K indoors and outdoors. I think it's a reasonable plan, but if you feel the need to take a little extra time with it, take it (instead of giving up). I think one of the reasons that I like the P25K is because it takes longer. Plus, my exercise partner is a great motivator :happy:

Edit: I (or should I say we) have only been doing P25K for a week, but I can see a difference already.
  • girlholiday
    Options
    I'm doing the P25K (Pooch 2 5K). It's a 12 week plan and since it involves the dog, I'm obviously doing it outside (even though my son wants to get a treadmill for the dog because he saw it on a movie). I've heard of people doing C25K indoors and outdoors. I think it's a reasonable plan, but if you feel the need to take a little extra time with it, take it (instead of giving up). I think one of the reasons that I like the P25K is because it takes longer. Plus, my exercise partner is a great motivator :happy:

Edit: I (or should I say we) have only been doing P25K for a week, but I can see a difference already.

I just started the first day and I had my dog with me. I had to take her back home after 5 minutes because she was so confused. I think I will look into P25K but she's so little that I think she'll just get super tired fast.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did c25k on the treadmill and outside. I started it on the treadmill during a rough winter. I almost finished it and then tried running outside - epic FAIL! Treadmill running is so different than outside running. I backtracked to week 5 or 6 when I began running outside and did fine. I can now almost run for an hour and half without stopping. It took me almost 9 months to truly like running. I kept it up because I liked the way my body felt after running. Now I love it!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Week 9 Day 1 yesterday. Should finish the program on Friday.

Highly recommended.

Edit: Also forgot to answer your question...I did it outside but I'd do whatever is easiest for you. I don't have access to a treadmill so outside was my only option. I'd also like to be able to run a 5k outside. I've heard there's a big difference between a treadmill and running outside.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    week 6 day 2! love it, started on treadmill, hope to get outside soon and work on endurance! good luck to ya!
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I just started the first day and I had my dog with me. I had to take her back home after 5 minutes because she was so confused. I think I will look into P25K but she's so little that I think she'll just get super tired fast.

The first 2 weeks of C25K and P25K are the same. My dog is a lab/shepherd mix, so she's a perfect running partner for me.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

The first 2 weeks of C25K and P25K are the same. My dog is a lab/shepherd mix, so she's a perfect running partner for me.

I thought about doing this with my GSD, but he's getting a bit stiff these days, and he enjoys playtime more than just running. So I started C25K on my own, outside, at the end of february. hit a few snow storms and a bit of rain, but honestly, running in colder weather seems easier than anything above 15 celsius.
    i've since switched to a 10k program (just had to be special i guess - haha) but it's the same idea, just longer training sessions, and a bit of a slower progress on the interval times.
    I'd definitely recommend running outside, and on a trail, not sidewalks or roads :smile:
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I did c25k on the treadmill and outside. I started it on the treadmill during a rough winter. I almost finished it and then tried running outside - epic FAIL! Treadmill running is so different than outside running. I backtracked to week 5 or 6 when I began running outside and did fine. I can now almost run for an hour and half without stopping. It took me almost 9 months to truly like running. I kept it up because I liked the way my body felt after running. Now I love it!

Thanks for posting this - I experienced this today, the epic Fail part. I thought I could just run outside like I could on the treadmill, not so.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this - I experienced this today, the epic Fail part. I thought I could just run outside like I could on the treadmill, not so.

Your welcome!
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago. Last night I did week 2 day 2. I am loving it. I am a big girl (230). It is giving me some energy I didn't know I had before. I want to do a 3k in May so I think I will be okay. I run outside.
  • cyreta
    cyreta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    To be able to do it on the treadmill and then take it outside, you have to put the treadmill at an incline of 1.0 to 1.5. You can also set it to hills if you want to help train for a hilly course of a specific race, but the "lowest" point has to be at least 1.0. I did this the first time around and had no issues with treadmill vs outside. There is a physical force difference because the treadmill is helping push you and the outside ground isn't, so the incline helps combat that.