"TONING"

Options
13»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i get what you're saying, but who cares what people want to call it and if it's the correct term or not. you know what they mean, they know what they mean.

i dont get why people get so offended by this term.

maybe i have a different perspective on this because my midwestern grandmother insists on calling bell peppers mangoes. i've long since given up on trying to correct her or bring her the actual fruit. now when i'm in town and she asks me to pick her up a mango for the spaghetti sauce, i just go ahead and get the green bell pepper.

I need to know (like, NEED TO KNOW) why she calls peppers mangoes??? Is that a common thing where she's from? I've never heard of that!

As for toning, well, I'll keep calling it that and anyone who's annoyed will just have to be annoyed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i get what you're saying, but who cares what people want to call it and if it's the correct term or not. you know what they mean, they know what they mean.

i dont get why people get so offended by this term.

I agree. When people say something is "cool" they often don't mean temperature either. So what? It's called common usage.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    This reminds me of a post I was reading the other day, where a girl said that if you are pear shaped, she read somewhere that you should only weight lift on the upper half of your body and not the lower half since we have more muscle there already, and we don't want to make it bigger.. and the way to "tone" our lower half was by doing long cardio(running/walking).

What these people don't understand is, the bulk factor is fat.. If you lose the fat, you sure as hell won't be looking bulky.

Why do you assume "these people" don't understand they have fat? Perhaps it is just you that doesn't understand "us people".

I am pear shaped, and while I didn't write or see the post to which you refer, I agree with it. And I fully understand that much of the bulk is fat. Running will remove that fat and build muscle. I know this for a fact because I've done it.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Removed due to being late to the party. Comment about stupid shoes duly made.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    As I stated before. This term is so misunderstood and mis-used that I feel for the people that are told by whoever that they should do high rep low weights to "tone" up. As stated many times over by many different people (Wonder why it hasn't sunk in with everyone yet), it is nonsense.

I have a good article on the net that I would love to post completely but due to the direction in language etc on the article, I thought I'd take out the important part, edit it, and quote it. Hope this helps. Please stop "toning" get off your behind, and lift some heavy weights.

Quote below:

"When people (That knows something) are talking about toning, they're referring to myogenic tone, also known as tonus. This phenomenon's essentially a state of partial contraction of a muscle, and that includes both smooth and striated muscle(1)- you'll find a S$%tload of articles on Pubmed referring to the myogenic tone of the the vascular system, for instance. So basically, once you've achieved tonus, you're constantly flexing a bit, unconsciously. Tonic innervation, as it's called, is achieved in one of two ways- by improving neural efficiency and by stimulating fast twitch muscle fibers. You know how you do that? You lift very heavy weights for low reps. To rehash a bit, however, the former head coach of the Bulgarian Olympic Weightlifting team, Ivan Abadjiev, stated that "Consistent training with high intensity loadings can increase the density of nerve impulse that can be generated by the central nervous system. Over time this allows the athlete to recruit a greater percentage of their higher threshold muscle fibres and hence significantly improve power output. Additionally, there is evidence that Type IIa muscle fibres can actually be converted to the more powerful Type IIb fibre type. Abadjiev states that these adaptations are best achieved when loadings are near maximal."(2) High reps, conversely, stimulate slow twitch muscle fibers (Type I). These fibers, being less dense than high twitch fibers, will engorge with blood, giving anyone with a preponderance of them a pumped look when they lift. They won't maintain that look, however, which is why you'll see guys like Triple H walking around on the street and think he's a biker who plays pickup basketball in his free time, whereas you'd see a powerlifter like Joe Ladnier looking almost exactly the same walking around the mall as he would in the gym."

Good morning. While your facts are correct, your post is a bit argumentative, and is unsolicited. It is also quite arrogant to assume all of mfp has read your previous posts. Relax, it's not your job to school the masses, if they want to learn they can read a book. Have a wonderful day.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a post I was reading the other day, where a girl said that if you are pear shaped, she read somewhere that you should only weight lift on the upper half of your body and not the lower half since we have more muscle there already, and we don't want to make it bigger.. and the way to "tone" our lower half was by doing long cardio(running/walking).

What these people don't understand is, the bulk factor is fat.. If you lose the fat, you sure as hell won't be looking bulky.

Why do you assume "these people" don't understand they have fat? Perhaps it is just you that doesn't understand "us people".

I am pear shaped, and while I didn't write or see the post to which you refer, I agree with it. And I fully understand that much of the bulk is fat. Running will remove that fat and build muscle. I know this for a fact because I've done it.

No actually I do understand because I am also pear shaped.

I lost my lower half by doing squats and lunges to retain what muscle I have, and cardio to lose the excess fat. Women can't bulk up.. It's impossible. Muscle is denser then fat.. so if you have more muscle on the lower half why would it be bigger instead of smaller?
  • bcattoes
    Options

I lost my lower half by doing squats and lunges to retain what muscle I have, and cardio to lose the excess fat. Women can't bulk up.. It's impossible. Muscle is denser then fat.. so if you have more muscle on the lower half why would it be bigger instead of smaller?

Squats and lunges do not spot reduce your lower half. If you lose fat, the legs will be smaller whether you gain/retain muscle or not. What does that have to do with how much muscle pear shapes already have or how much cardio such as running can retain?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Squats and lunges do not spot reduce your lower half. If you lose fat, the legs will be smaller whether you gain/retain muscle or not. What does that have to do with how much muscle pear shapes already have or how much cardio such as running can retain?

First time I've agreed with bcattoes.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I'm so confused I don't even know how to answer.

Not sure where I said squats/lunges spot reduce, but if thats what you got out of my reply then ok.

It would help if you had read the other thread because then what I wrote originally would have made sense... so I'm just gonna drop this because I can't even begin to explain.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'm so confused I don't even know how to answer.

Not sure where I said squats/lunges spot reduce, but if thats what you got out of my reply then ok.

It would help if you had read the other thread because then what I wrote originally would have made sense... so I'm just gonna drop this because I can't even begin to explain.

Okay, obviously we'll have to agree to disagree anyway. The spot reduce thing came from you saying you lost your lower half with squats and lunges, but perhaps you only meant that was how you retained muscle.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start wearing clear 6-inch platform heels for squatting/jumprope. It seems to work well. Who's with me??
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options

You can't just assume they don't know that the bulk is fat. Maybe that's the reason they don't want to strength train for mass gains, and instead do strength training & exercises for strength & endurance. Maybe they want to lose the fat first, so they don't look bulky because of the fat that is already there.
    Until I reduce my body fat %....I can deal with my bulky looking arms, but I do not need my lower half any bulkier than it is. I will stick to body weight squats, lunges, & lateral lunges.