Herbal Teas

tjsusong
tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
Can someone please give me a reason why herbal tea would be bad for you? Someone recently told me that it was, but had no founded reasons why. I love herbal tea and use it to help with my sweet tooth, so if its bad, I want to start weeding it out. BUT, years of health and nutrition reading tell me that its not bad for me at all!!! Anyone??

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    Looks left and right,,..

Shrugs...

I got nothing..
  • tjsusong
    Seeeeeee, I didn't think so! Ignorant people really irritate me. People hear something through a grapevine so it must be true? But Herbal Teas? Come on!!!! LOL
  • anastasiab1621
    anastasiab1621 Posts: 23 Member
    The tannin found in some tea (green and black, that I know of) can upset some peoples GIT. Perhaps this is the angle that person was coming from?
    But if you find yourself with stomach pains (not from a killer ab workout!) maybe cut down on the herbal teas that contain tannin.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    The only thing I can think of could be for people who dump a whole lot of sweetener in their tea. That's why I drink my herbal teas unsweetened (and so I can taste the tea, not the sugar/honey).

Herbal tea rarely has black or white teas in it, so usually no tannin. But I always read the ingredients label anyway. I like the just-herb ones, without the "real" teas. Mmmm, chamomile, apple spice, and raspberry zinger...
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    I love tea, herbal, flavored, and all the above!
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    i've never heard of herbal teas being bad for you either. some people just like to be negative about health in general.
  • K1mmer
    K1mmer Posts: 43 Member
    Thsnks OP! I was just thinking about this tonight. One more question, does herbal tea really count towards your water intake? I drink about 4 cups a day, with fresh leaves once or twice. Anyone have an experience with this?
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    The herbal tea i drink is supposedly rich in antioxidants. I bought it as an alternative to fizzy drinks and to stop the cravings after meals. I've read the label and it's just green tea with fruit! Cant be bad!!
  • tjsusong
    Thanks everyone for your input! And you're right... some people just like to be negative or contradictory about healthy things and their benefits!!