900 calories left...

Options
After exercising and eating, I have 900 calories left. That seems like an awful lot, but my bod doesn't feel hungry and I had my protein after I worked out. Is this okay? Granted it's 9:45 PM right now, I don't want to eat anything this late, but should I try everyday to eat the number of calories recommended from MFP?

Replies

• skinnyallover
    Options
    if you feel satisfied, don't eat and go to bed. there will probably be a day when you are hungry and want to go over you cal limit too, and then you can.
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people on here say if you're full and satisfied don't worry about it or eat half back of what you worked off. I've done both, myself.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    if you feel satisfied, don't eat and go to bed. there will probably be a day when you are hungry and want to go over you cal limit too, and then you can.

Agreed! Don't force yourself to eat. If you feel satisfied then chalk it up as an awesome day and go to bed! :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Try to plan your day so that on your Exercise days, you have eaten more calories throughout the day, and you won't have to try to make up for it later.

You really need to try to get as close as possible to zero at the bottom of your food diary every day. If you don't eat those extra calories you burn with exercise, you are increasing a calorie deficit already figured in according to your goals.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    900 cals is a lot of extra to add to the calorie deficit that you already have. If you have a lot to lose then you can probably get away with it, but if you are getting closer to goal then it is a good idea to eat most or all of the cals that MFP recommends.
    As it's already late, don't stress about it today, have a little snack and spend a few minutes planning so you don't end up in this situation again tomorrow.

I'm not a big fan of the "listen to your body only eat when hungry" theory - I tried that for 45 years and ended up obese, unfit and unhealthy. Eating a moderate amount (usually close to my MFP goal, somtimes under, sometimes over) most days for the last year has me at a healthy weight and fitter than I have ever been in my life.

I think planning is the key to eating enough - if you know you will be doing a big workout, then plan a larger breakfast and lunch to give yourself extra energy to get through the workout.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also remember that MFP is sometimes a bit generous with it's calorie estimates for fitness... I've done bike rides that MapMyRide will calculate at 750 - 800 calories when MFP will chalk it up as almost 1200.... If your not using a HRM its an estimate anyway, I always err on the side of caution and will finish those days with a 3-400 calorie dececeit just to make sure.

FWIW I have a long ways to go still I figure a couple hundred one way or the other isnt too big of a deal. If you're close to goal that might not be as good of an idea.
  • madmex569
    madmex569 Posts: 49
    Options
    good for u. i have that happen a lot and i dont eat even with a bunch of calories left. it really helps counting the calories u eat and the ones you lose thru exercise. good luck.