Calories being burned during walks....

Options
2»

Replies

• EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MFP told me that 60 mins of walking to preschool with the children only burnt about 200 calories for 60 mins, when I used my HRM, it was actually 450 calories, as MFP won't allow me to say I am pushing a double pushchair and power walking.

I would go with the lower one, but if you can get a HRM that will show you a better reading :)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like mapmywalk because it takes terrain and inclines into account, whereas the MFP 'walking' just estimated calories by time - take the distance/height gain data from mapmywalk and plug it into the calculator on this website: http://hikingscience.blogspot.com/p/calculate-calories-burned_22.html

You can then include data such as body weight. I have found using them both together really useful!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I've heard a general rule of thumb is the "average" person burns about 100 calories for every mile that they move (whether it is running, walking, skipping, etc.).....

Not true. Running burns more calories per mile.

Here is a link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

The chart at the bottom might help you estimate calories. Pretty good article, I think.
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe take the average of what both of them are telling you?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    To give you guys an idea... I'm 6'4 and 339.3 lbs. using the website that pp gave, it says that at my weight, I would burn 707 calories by walking at a 4.0 pace for 55 minutes.

That seems absurd!
    Actually at that height and weight that sounds about right.

It does, actually. At 3.5 mph average, 5'8" and 210, I burn about 220-250 in 30 minutes (and the cals. burned has dropped as my weight has). Considering your weight and the speed, 707 doesn't sound ridiculous to me at all. Walking can be very effective exercise. I use the free Pedometer Pro + app on my phone, which calculates calories burned based on my weight, height and speed. It's usually fairly close to MFP.